donder10

BAA+Low Cost Airlines

Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:19 am

With EZY cutting back quite considerably on their GLA-EDI routes ;do you think this merely highlights the problems BAA will continue to have or is just a case of EZY trying to force BAAs hand?A lot of critcism of BAA centres around their affinity for 'shopping complexes' and thus BAA airports being rather expensive to fly from.EDI was experiencing rather quick growth but it still doesn't have a complete parallel taxiway does it?Have BAA said when this will be completed?Is there any chance at all that BAA would ever sell off GLA or EDI or are they very profitable for them?

backfire

RE: BAA+Low Cost Airlines

Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:49 am

A lot of critcism of BAA centres around their affinity for 'shopping complexes' and thus BAA airports being rather expensive to fly from

How did you work this out? Income from retail activity accounts for the largest segment of BAA's revenue - outweighing aeronautical charges. The success of its retail operation allows BAA to keep its fees down. If anything, BAA's affinity for 'shopping complexes' ought to make the airports LESS expensive to fly from.

bmi330

Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:50 am

would be BAA shoping Centres ever sell of GLA we can hope and whish for the best. BAA should not be aloud to own both and I have no idea why the compition comite alowes it. BAA got £60 milion pound from scotish parlement to attract new low-cost flights wonder where it went? But GLA recently got a new chef exective so he might be able to pull it off and GLA aparently slashed landing fees but dont no if it actualy happend there aint much evedince of it so far!

donder10

Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:07 am

Backfire,that was from what I have read on other sites but I'm more inclined to believe you.I am rather surprised that BAA has not been looked at considering they own EDI,GLA and ABZ!That leaves PIK+Inverness which are the smallest 2.
But why should public money be used to subsidise BAA especially when there doesn't seem to be much return for it?