B747-437B
Topic Author

AI/IC Fleet Renewal Plans On Hold

Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 am

The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) of the Indian Government today passed an order to delay the fleet renewal plans for Air India and Indian Airlines while they set up a sub-committee to study the need for fleet renewal.

The sub-committee will appoint a technical committee who will work with the technical advisory committees from the two airlines to determine the exact needs for fleet renewal and report back to the sub-committee who will then report back to the Cabinet committee in time for the next committee meeting next month.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

RJNUT

RE: AI/IC Fleet Renewal Plans On Hold

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:06 am

This is a joke, right?

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:12 am

You predicted yourself that it'd be forever-and-a-day before AI actually placed an order. I guess this is just confirmation  Sad
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

B747-437B
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:12 am

This is a joke, right?

I wish it was.  Sad
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jaysit

Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:25 pm

Just as I predicted. Useless dim-witted babus who are barely in charge of their own dhotis have through the vagaries of democracy been put in charge of multi-million dollar aircraft. Its no wonder that India is the pathetic mess it is.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

bigmo747

Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:29 pm

1st we have a cabinet COMMITTEE, who will set up a SUB-COMMITTEE, which in turn will appoint a TECHNICAL COMMITTEE, who in turn will work with further COMMITTEES, who will then report back to the SUB-COMMITTEES, who will finally report back to the CABINET COMMITTEE, for a COMMITTEE meeting next month................my version....................

she sells, sea shells on the sea shore.......................

did AI go thru all of this when they ordered the 744's brand new from Boeing in the 1990's?? or did the COMMITTEES start working for those 744's in 1960??

ammunition

Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:33 pm

thats pretty funny stuff... the indian airline industry living up to expectation!
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

B747-437B
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:00 am

The media report on this development is here :

http://in.biz.yahoo.com/030115/77/202rz.html

IndianGuy

Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:58 am

I am also hearing rumours that the current Civil Aviation minister Hussain (who has performed well in his posting) is on the way out becuase he has fallen out with the Home Minister. The latest hurdle to the fleet expansion might have something to do with this fact.

Hussain is being replaced by one of two ex-filmstars, one a famous screen villain of the 70's (who is now Health Minister) or the "Dream Girl" who campaigned for the BJP in the Gujarat elections and is a favorite with the RSS.

I have said it before and i say it again:Time for Open Skies-II. As long as we have minsters running the show AI and IC are doomed.

-Roy

wingman

Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:01 am

Reads like a script right out of Saturday Night Live. It gave me the giggles.

kaitak

Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:03 am

Well, although I'm not surprised, it is at least a blessing that all this has to be done within a month.

These decisions are so important to India's economic future that they should really be accelerated. Can we expect a final decision soon after next month's meeting?

Why is this being entrusted to a security committee anyway - and who are the members of this committee? Surely the decision should be in the hands of the Aviation/Transport minister?

jaysit

Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:58 am

The usual bunch of greedy ministers sensing a multi-billion dollar deal decided that they wanted a piece of the action too. Its India's "public servants" acting like the proverbial pack of hyenas they really are. Throw the RSS and its wretched tentacles in, and you have a scene right out of the Jungle book.

If the new aviation minister is to be Shatrughan Sinha, the ex-health minister, then AI and IC are surely doomed. The man is a blithering idiot.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

thud

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:08 pm

Jaysit,
He was a crap actor as well!!

BTW has India (DRDO I guess) ever toyed with the idea of manufacturing an airliner?

IndianGuy

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:38 pm

BTW has India (DRDO I guess) ever toyed with the idea of manufacturing an airliner?

HAL has made civilian aircraft under license before. The HS748 being the first(beginning 1969) , adn the Dornier 228 which began local production around '81(?). Today it s only built for the army and corporate airliner (quite a few corporate houses have them).

As for local designs NAL has built the prototype for a 14 seat (now being stretched to seat 21) turboprop called Saras for commuter airlines and ambulance use. I saw this aircraft at an exhibition, and it looks rather like a propeller driven DC9 with rear facing tail mounted engines, rather strange for a prop!

Then there is a 100-seat jet which is still on the drawing board. I saw 2 designs for this. One of them has a "Look Honey i shrunk the Airbus!" look and the inspiration is pretty obvious.

The other design (which has been approved) looks like a big fat piece of shit, possibly the ugliest flying machine ever built. A full size mockup of this was there at last years Aero India show and could be there this year as well.

Last i heard, HAL is talking to Indonesia (???) to get this thing moving! China I could understand, but Indonesia for building an airliner? Duh!

BTW the 100-seater was launched in 1983!

-Roy

thud

Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:39 pm

Roy,
Thanx. A most informative post.

TKMCE

Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:42 pm

Roy
Dont forget the Indonesians do have some xperience (again not the prettiest ones around I guess!) with their spanish joint centure CASA.
Cheers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos