MAS777

BA Gives War Warning

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:08 am

British Airways gives war warning

British Airways has warned that it could face going out of business if a war on Iraq follows a quiet winter season. The flag-carrier has predicted that if the worst comes to the worst, it will face a drastic 30 per cent fall in revenue and would almost certainly have to lay off thousands of workers. BA already has debts approaching £6 billion, with ticket sales down in recent months and the prospect of sharp increases in landing costs at Heathrow airport. A spokesman told the Mail on Sunday: "A war could force two or three European airlines out of business; in effect, it would also cull excess capacity. It is also possible that faced with such disasters, industry regulators could allow cross-border mergers."
© News From Abroad
Partners in the Foreign Office "Know Before You Go" campaign

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting that even posting good financial results late last year - BA now states that they are £6 billion in debt!

desert_dweller

RE: BA Gives War Warning

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:10 am

This war is not a necessary one in the first place. Lets just hope for the best for this airline.

Demoose

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:17 am

Not just British Airways that could face difficulty. War with Iraq will have huge knock on effects, rising fuel costs, slump in air travellers, reduction in people booking holidays abroad. Heard recently from an employee at a major uk charter airline that should war occur it's going to mean alot of changes and reduction in capacity in an already difficult market.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

westjet_8

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:38 am

Personally I don't think the risk a war with Iraq is worth it. Only if the weapons insectors find something and the Iraqies refuse to destroy it should they be attacked, even then they should really think about. It would just crush the Airline industry.
Canadian. RIP 1999

FrequentFlyKid

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:45 am

This isn't the forum, but it's defintely worth the "risk" to go to war. A greater risk would be to sit by idle. Iraq is a HUGE threat to not only the United States, but the entire free world. Our mistake was not finishing what we started twleve years ago today. It's now or never.....

AIR MALTA

Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:01 pm

Oh, Iraq is not a huge threat, the US are a bigger threat to all of us and their selves!!! I hope the UK won't follow them!!! Anyway, it's not the right place to discuss this issue but if war happens, it will be a nightmare for the airline industry! Europe would be the most affected place...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

TS-IOR

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:03 pm

Mr.Blair may think twice now !!! He may changes his speech !!!

Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:22 pm

Would BA really go out of business (bankruptcy) if there was a war, would the consequences be that serious?
In Arsene we trust!!

flyinghighboy

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:47 pm

QF might even help BA a bit, hell QF should just buy BA since they are the bigger company now days aren;t they?

CPH-R

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:53 pm

FFK,

a huge threat? In what way? Saddam knows what'll happen if he uses whatever weapons he's got. The only time he'd consider using them, was if he's attacked, 'coz he sure knows that he won't survive the end of such a war.

Personally, I think that if a war doesa start (even withouth UN mandate), it'll mean not only the death of 2 or 3 European airlines, but also for a number of US airlines. It will, for sure, mean the final punch to US Airways & United.

eg777er

Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:57 pm

BA's collapse would be catastrophic for the world - and I'm not just talking about the airline industry.

BA provides an essential link between the United States and the European Union. No other airline carries as many passengers across the Atlantic as BA. Closer to home, no airline could fly 50+ 747s and 50+ 777s for 'UK plc'.

If BA collapses, expect to see serious impact on world trade and the world economy.

bucky707

Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:40 pm

"BA provides an essential link between the United States and the European Union. No other airline carries as many passengers across the Atlantic as BA."

Doesn't Delta carry the most pax accross the Atlantic?

Silverstreak

Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:55 pm

I hate the thoughts of Americans going to the Gulf again. I even hate more the world having to second guess a man like Saddam Hussein and his kind. His past actions to his neighbors and his own people have convinced me he is just pure evil. I don't like the current administration of my country, but I'm more tired of Saddam Hussein and his actions. Sadly, yes, all this could change the airline industry more than we know.

donder10

Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:33 am

I would have thought BA carried more than DL.BA have about 6 744s a day to JFK alone and serve every other major US city.

Marcus

Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:12 am

Our mistake was not finishing what we started twleve years ago today. It's now or never.....

Well I think this mistake started when the west sold him all those weapons to offset the balance with fundamentalist Iran.......and then turning a blind eye as long as the oil pumped freely.

But you are right, this is not the forum.

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

DeltaSFO

Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:25 am

Yes, out of all North American carriers. BA is by far the #1 carrier across the Atlantic, with Delta a distant second.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:57 am

Since we're already off-topic to some degree, here's my $0.02 worth:

This isn't about the U.S. saying they don't want Iraq to have weapons of mass destruction to defend itself with.

This is about the fact that if Iraq develops the technology to build nuclear weapons and/or other weapons of mass destruction, the current regime there would have absolutely no objection to selling some of them to terrorist organizations such as al Qaeda, Hamas, and the like.

THAT is the major problem, here. You have a regime that is actively using their nation's funding for R&D into becoming an international arms dealer with the intent on selling their wares to murderers.

That's also why the U.S. is handling Iraq and North Korea differently. The DPRK would love to have their own nuclear arsenal, but not for the reasons Iraq wants one.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

FrequentFlier

Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:01 am

A major blow to BA would be a major blow to the airline industry.

Let's hope for the best.

cedarjet

Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:40 am

Oh come on, if Saddam sold weapons (of which the inspectors can find no trace, lest we forget) to Islamic fundamentalists their first target would be Saddam. They hate him more than the US. The idea of a small and impoverished nation like Iraq being a threat to anyone, or selling weapons to it's enemies (ie OBL) is laughable.

BA, and indeed the airline industry, wouldn't be the only victim of the proposed war. None of us will be safe from terror attacks, and if we allow our elected leaders to kill thousands (at least) innocent people in our name with our tax dollars and pounds, why should we be safe from reprisals?

For the sake of hundreds of thousands of employees in tourism and other industries that will be out of work due to US (and UK) aggression, and the tens of thousands (or many more) who will lose their lives, let's hope reason prevails.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

thomasphoto60

Re:BA Gives War Warning

Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:23 am

Well as an an American and a Texan, I too hope that cooler heads will prevail. While I am a political conservative, I am by no means a huge supporter of the current administration. That said after 6-7 years of Hussein for all intents and purposes being left alone, building what he wants to build and terrorize who he chooses, well some action has to be taken. If left alone and US/UK forces were not present in such large numbers it would only be a matter of time before he made further aggressive moves against one of his neighbors, history has already proven this twice. So, like it or not something has to be done and military action has to be taken (and I am still hopeful that we may be able to pull back at the last moment) then so be it.

Whats that old saying? "Nothing makes an aggressor more aggressive, than appeasement" Remember Chambelain's 'Peace in our time' speech after meeting with Hitler.

Something to ponder......

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Boeing757/767

Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:31 am

I would like someone to explain to me how Saddam is a "HUGE threat" to the United States. I'm not talking foreign or oil policy. I mean how does he pose a threat to U.S. soil? Scud missiles can barely make it to Israel.

The talk of "defending the U.S." is nauseating.

Anyway, I believe a war would end the life of a few U.S. carriers. Let's hope that's not the case.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

GDB

Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:38 am

BA has subsequently denied that it could go bust, but they are very concerned, as are those of us who remembered the effects of the first Gulf War, and then the US mainland had never experienced terrorism, so who knows what the effects will be this time when BA are much weaker.
Even after US aircraft attacked Libya in 1986, there was a drop off of mostly US pax, BA did a series of promotions that year to entice them back.

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:48 am

BA carries more pax across the atlantic than UA,CO,DL and AA COMBINED.

With war i agree there could be serious repurcussions for BA, this time though, airlines have had to go through the 9/11 phase and now this iraq war threat. It could finally be goodbye to United and US airways, and that to me as an aviation fan, would be quite depressing to see.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!