Topic Author

NZ/QF To Operate AKL-ADL

Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:51 am

Adelaide/Auckland air link pledge
January 17, 2003

QANTAS and Air New Zealand will make seven direct return flights a week between Adelaide and Auckland under a planned strategic alliance, South Australian Premier Mike Rann has said.

Mr Rann held talks with Qantas executives in Sydney yesterday and was told the full quota of daily return flights between the two cities would be reached within three years.

"However, it (Qantas) hopes that the first direct return flights, most likely two or three a week, will start later this year or early in 2004 using both Qantas and Air NZ jets," Mr Rann said today.

Qantas announced its proposed strategic alliance agreement with Air NZ late last year.

The plan involves the acquisition by Qantas of 22.5 per cent of Air NZ to strengthen the global competitiveness of both airlines.

The proposed alliance is yet to be approved by Air NZ shareholders and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

Mr Rann said Qantas also confirmed its commitment to become anchor tenants in the upgraded Adelaide Airport multi-user terminal.

RE: NZ/QF To Operate AKL-ADL

Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:52 pm

Enough demand between ADL and AKL?

RE: NZ/QF To Operate AKL-ADL

Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:19 am

If my memory serves me correct, NZ did fly the route some years ago on a 2-3 a week frequency.
I suspect that there is a degree of propaganda in the announcement, in as much as these can be shown to be a benefit from the proposed tie-up between QF and NZ: ADL-AKL, whilst not feasible for either party by themselves, would be feasible under a joint operation.
Getting Australian state premiers on side, particularly from the smaller states, would assist in presenting the QF/NZ case before the ACCC, as would similar announcements affecting NZ towns (e.g. DUD) in the case of the NZ consumer regulator.
Perhaps we can look forward to a steady stream of such announcements: