MDCJets
Topic Author

SJC Cloudy Weather Takeoff

Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:38 am

I flew out of SCJ both this last December and the preceding December. I have flown out (and into) to SCJ many times but both these times in December, the weather was cloudy-not particularly stormy or windy-just cloudy. I have noticed whenever the weather is like this, the takeoff is to the south, as opposed to the regular takeoff to the north. I'm sure there is a very simple reason, however because both these times it was not windy or stormy, I cannot seem to think of one. Perhaps the pattern alters frequently and just by chance, its been a northern takeoff when the weather is cloudy. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Thank You

HlywdCatft

RE: SJC Cloudy Weather Takeoff

Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:18 am

If you go to Passur.com and look at the SJC section, you can see SJC's traffic patterns for the whole past year... hell, i you know the time of your flight you can watch your flight take off too.

N659AA

RE: SJC Cloudy Weather Takeoff

Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:20 am

MDC,

I went to school in San Jose (San Jose State), so I am pretty familiar with climate of Silicon Valley. As with any airport, the runway in use depends solely on the direction of the wind. In the South Bay, the silicon valley is oriented in a Northwest through Southeast direction. The prevailing winds are from the Northwest coming off San Francisco Bay down the valley towards Gilroy which is why the common use runways are 31L/31R.

During inclement weather, if Low Pressure systems track along a certain course, the circulation around the low pressure system will cause the wind direction to come from the South, causing the use of runways 12L/12R towards the Southeast.

People in the area associate the use of runway 12 with bad weather. It just so happens that bad weather usually means a change in wind direction. Bad weather does not necessarily mean the use of Runway 12.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos