ord

What Happened To Braniff's Headquarters?

Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:19 pm

While flying over DFW recently I looked out the plane's window to see if I could spot Braniff's old headquarters on the west side of the airport. I thought I saw two low-rise buildings that may have been it, sandwiched between a north-south runway and a nw-sw runway.

Is this the old complex, and if so who uses it now?

It sure didn't look like the photos of 20+ years ago, and I couldn't spot the parking lots or ponds.

OPNLguy

RE: What Happened To Braniff's Headquarters?

Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:12 am

Last time I looked, GTE used the facility, and has for some time.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Tom in NO

Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:14 am

The complex (or most of it) is still there, and according to the latest in-house DFW map, it is now known the Verizon-Terraces Hotel and Conference Center. The actual address is 2201 West Airfield Drive.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Tom in NO

Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:25 am

Hey OPNLguy: looks like we're all going to be fairly chilly soon!!! It also looks like we're getting our coincidental thread response timing down!!!

I did a little more searching, and it looks like Verizon's HQ is actually in that complex. The Terraces is a hotel in the complex. http://www.terraceshotel.com

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

flashmeister

Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:16 am

Not to nitpick, but to make sure no one misunderstands: Corporate Headquarters for Verizon Communications is in New York City. The DFW facility serves as headquarters for Verizon's Information Systems and Telephone business units. It is not their Corporate HQ.

ord

Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:07 am

Thanks for all the info. So, are the building in that triangle of land between two intersecting runways?

I guess I though it would be more prominent from overhead.