BA777
Topic Author

What To Do For An Aviation-related Career

Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:45 pm

Hey Guys,

Im looking for advice on what to do as an aviation-related career. I would love to be a pilot, but to be honest I'd rather do something that gets me involved with operations in and around the airport, but at the same time earning a decent wage.

I also need to consider something in which i could implement my photographic passion along with my job.

Any suggestions are very welcome

BA777

LH526
Crew

RE: What To Do For An Aviation-related Career

Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:02 pm

ATC .. here in germany (And alsow with eurocontrol) ATC controllers earn nearly as much as pilots do! Sure it's no job that allows you to spread your personality, also it will become dull with the time, and mind the stress fatctor!.
Or what about flight dispatcher? Lower average pay at a little more interesting job.

Believe me, your "job-wants" will change every year and when you graduate from high-school it might have changed for something completely different, so don't focus on it to much yet! I experienced the same! I applied for an ATC controller (I thought "yes, lot's of money at a cool aviation job") but I failed after 90% of all tests and I though a world would break down for me. Now I completely amde up my mind and I'm glad that I hadn't to live a life in a tower or in front of a screen being one of many doing a dull job that just doesn't satisfys me when I'm older! Sure there is the money aspect, but what to do with lotsa money when the stress of your job extends to yoru freetime and you yust don't have fun at your job after some 10+ years? Now I'm at university and enjoy what I do, I'm glad that I'm not ellected for ATC-controller, but rather I can reach for "higher aims" now.

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

BA777
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:11 pm

Hey,

In a career-matching excersise, i was given a ATC controller, then Photographer, so i would like to mix a job with photo oppourtunities with something that i earn a decent wage on. Anyone got suggetions w/ estimates of pay please?

Anyway, time for lunch here @ school

BA777

lymanm

Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:24 pm

Flight Attendant!

Seriously, maybe not for a career, but take a year off school and give it a try. You'll get to know the industry much better and get a better idea of where you'd like to fit in. Maybe after a year of F/Aing, you'll want to join the men and women in the sharp end, doing the flying. Or maybe you'll be so sick of line flying, you'll want to challenge yourself in a 9 to 5 job in marketing or accounting. Or perhaps you'll be sick of working for an airline and decide to join the airport management side. Not interested in just managing an airport? Work for the CAA and manage the country's airport systems from a regulatory point of view.

As you can see, there are a gazillion types of jobs in the aviation industry. At your age, you can choose any one of them.
buhh bye

BA777
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:15 am

Thanks guys, what you've said is 100% true, the hard bit is gettin into the industry at the start, esp. now for obvious reasons.

What could i do that gets me involved around a/c (photo ops here  Wink/being sarcastic), and would keep me happy from the financial side?

BA777

sushka

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:23 am

Once I turn 18 im going to apply with all the airlines in SLC to try and become a ramper. I think that would be an awesome job getting to be around all the jets and get paid at the same time.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

koopas

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:35 pm

If you're the technical type, you can go to the university and earn a degree in either aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering. Then apply to an airline (when things get better) as an aircraft engineer. You earn a decent wage and get to be around airplanes all the time, so much that you become sick of it  Smile

You get to learn about aircraft systems in depth, and get to interact with not only your airline's many departments (flight, marketing, maintenance, product developement, etc.) but many aspect of the airline industry as a whole (FAA, Boeing and/or Airbus, and component vendors). If you like aviation, you'll find this career very rewarding. You get the best of all worlds.

Good luck.

Alex

BA777
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:58 am

Thanks Koopas, i was thinking about being one of those people that 1 minute is workin at customer services, and the other is flight planning and dispatching etc - title?

What about a flight planner, bet thats a rubbish wage though

BA777

koopas

Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:49 pm

I don't think you'd want to be a flight scheduler...the wage may be a little low. If you like flight planning, I'd recommend getting a business degree with an aviation emphasis. Then, you can work at an airline's marketing department planning new routes, etc. Then get your MBA and become a manager.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos