FR Adds Maastricht, Laarbruch, Pau, Reims, Haugesu

Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:24 pm

New services with effect April 30:

London STN - Maastricht (daily)
London STN - Laarbruch (2 daily)
London STN - Pau (daily)
London STN - Reims (daily)
London STN - Haugesund (daily)

For those who wonder - Haugesund is in Norway and Laarbruch is the former RAF base Laarbruch in Germany which will open as a civil airport on May 1, 2003. Laarbruch is sold by Ryanair as "Dusseldorf (Niederrhein)", Laarbruch calls itself "Airport Niederrhein". Laarbruch is close to the Dutch border and serves the Dutch market as well (Nijmwegen and Arnhem are nearby). From Dusseldorf, it is approx. 60 miles away, but large cities in the Ruhr area such as Duisburg and Essen are closer. Ryanair will be the first airline to serve Laarbruch, but according to rumour, a new Dutch LCC start-up (led by ex KLM exel and Transavia personnel) will set up its base there with five Airbus A320 serving destinations such as Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Nice etc.

Ryanair also announced a number of additional frequencies on existing routes.

http://www.ryanair.com/press/2003/jan/rte-en-290103.html

teva

RE: FR Adds Maastricht, Laarbruch, Pau, Reims, Haugesu

Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:27 pm

I am very happy for Reims. And for sure, they will make money with the excess luggage (bottles of Champagne are quite heavy...)
Now, I am just wondering how O'Leary is going to sell this.
Will it be Reims, or will it be " Now we serve 2 Paris airports" ? (Today, they call Beauvais airport Paris... And even if Beauvais is a little bit closer, you need about the same time to reach the 2 cities from Paris, because of the highway . as per Michelin web, paris-beauvais is 1h16, and Paris-reims 1h44)
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

teva

Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:30 pm

Reims is a nice city, with a beautyful cathedral.
They have good restaurants.
The visit of the Champagne companies is very cool... (even cold....)
and you can buy very good Champagne from little producers around 15 euros/bottle
Cheers

Sabena332

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:21 am

Laarbruch is perfect, now I have five airports around me which I can reach within 30-40 minutes by car, the others are: DTM, DUS, CGN, MGL.

Patrick

PS: What is the three letter code for Laarbruch?
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

TriStar500

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:26 am

Patrick,
Laarbruch is LRC.  Smile
(according to airlinedata.com)

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Sabena332

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:30 am

Thanks for the information, Jens!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:30 am

Really disappointed FR or any other UK budget airline has not opened up a route to Finland. If FR fly to Tampere from Skavsta then it can't be that expensive a place to fly to. Ok, so it's a long way from Helsinki, but I'm sure Tampere is a lovely place. With a good marketing campaign (either FR or Finnish Tourist Board) I'm sure people would love to visit this beautiful country!

Maybe in the future......

donder10

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:59 am

Plus the times of Stockholm-Tampere are crap for UK 'transfer' traffic  Sad

vadheim

Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:06 am

Haugesund is a town on the western coast of Norway, just between the larger cities of Stavanger and Bergen!

I guess there will be a Catamaran service from Haugesund - Helganes (HAU) direct to both Bergen and Stavanger....

Today HAU is served mainly by SAS B737-600 flying to Oslo - Gardermoen (OSL) 6xdaily, and a few charter flights!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gunnar Nyhus

BDRules

Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:40 am

I was really looking forward to a Finnish route opening from STN but no. Who wants to go to PAU. I have been a couple of times and its not very special and the fares they are offering on the new routes arnt very appealling. FROM £38.99. whats that about. over £100 pp rtn. I know thats not much really but to the standards we will be paying over the odds IMO.

Regards

BDRules

JetMark

RE: FR Adds Maastricht, Laarbruch, Pau, Reims, Hau

Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:11 am

Great news for MAA (Maastricht Aachen Airport). This new business perhaps will give the airport a passengers increasement and the financial boost which it needs so much...

vfw614

Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:50 am

Interestingly, the Ryanair booking-tool gives the airprot code for Laarbruch as "NRN" (short for Niederhein ("Lower Rhine") - trading name of the airport is "Airport Niederrhein"). The IATA code, however, is still "LRC". Maybe they are about to change it.

teva

Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:59 pm

BDRules, you are right, Pau is a nice city, but has nothing really special.
However, it is close from the ski resorts in the Pyrenees. (quite popular in the UK if I refer to Buzz strategy, using TLS as their gateway to the mountain)
In addition, a lot of Brits have houses in the region. The Gers is very close. Same for the Atlantic coast.
Teva

BestWestern

Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:11 pm

Buzz operated 3 daily flights to Helsinki at one stage, dropped as the yields were poor, and the distance too far for successful operations.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!