FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Hockey Flights

Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:34 am

for those of you who haven't figured out, I am a big hockey fan. So, here's my questions

1) Has anyone ever flown on a professional team charter?

2) Has anyone ever flown commercially with a player?

follow up to 2) This weekend was the all star game, anyone fly with a player this weekend?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

Theiler

RE: Hockey Flights

Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:12 am

I was on a Mesaba flight with Randy McKay (Montreal, I believe) last spring, out of Upper Michigan. How he managed to fit into a seat on one of the Saab's is beyond me.

jcs17

Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:34 pm

Last summer, I saw Brad Isbister boarding an AC flight to Calgary from O'Hare. Highlight of my life...let me tell you.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:03 pm

Dany Heatley, the MVP flew Delta down and probably will leave tomorrow morning on Delta... I'm so mad because they had first class open for coach price! I wish I was there.
I'd imagine a couple of America West, a US Airways or 2, som more Deltas, Tango, and maybe JetBlue will have players tomorrow

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:21 am

Just wanted to let you know that this was moved from "Trip Reports" to here... I wanted people to do thier trip reports about this, but A.net had another idea, so...

Justa wanted to keep you all updated

HlywdCatft

Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:41 am

I never been on a flight with an NHL player but I have seen several at DTW.

I saw Steve Yzerman last spring while he was injured in the new Midfield terminal, while the rest of the Red Wings were playing elsewhere.

I saw Luc Robitaille and family heading into DTW a few weeks after winning the cup.

I saw Sergei Federov and a blonde woman (not Anna) a few days after seeing Luc.

I saw Pavel Dmitra and Fred Brathwait of the St. Louis Blues both in uniform coming in later than the rest of the team for the game picking up their sticks in oversize at midfield.

A few years ago at the old DTW terminal for Northwest I had seen Chris Osgood back when he was still a Red Wing, Marty Lapointe (when he was still a Wing) and Jaromir Jagr when he was still a Penguin

dragogoalie

Hmmm

Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:21 am

I saw Pavel Dmitra and Fred Brathwait of the St. Louis Blues both in uniform coming in later than the rest of the team for the game picking up their sticks in oversize at midfield.

In uniform? I bet that looked wierd....  Big grin

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

jahckass

Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:08 pm

While working for HP a few ( ok 10) years ago, we lost the luggage of a Sharks player who was just called up from the minors- i go to take the claim. Also saw Doug Wilson as he was leaving to coach a Roller Hockey team he was part owner of, he took a few minutes to talk with me while i was taking tickets for the flight, then I bumped him up to first class.
Saw Jeff Odgers in the claim area when he was waiting for his bags on his trip out to report for camp, he also chatted with me for about 15 mins. Really nice guy.
The Flames were on an outbound of ours after pounding the Sharks, so i took the liberty of placing Theo Fleury in the last row middle seat. Saw the whole team that time.

HlywdCatft

Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:16 pm

Well obviously Dmitra and Brathwait weren't wearing skates, helmet. But they were wearing their jerseys and otherwise practically dressed for the game that was supposed to start in Detroit within an hour or two of their arrival.

HlywdCatft

Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:17 pm

**The Flames were on an outbound of ours after pounding the Sharks, so i took the liberty of placing Theo Fleury in the last row middle seat. Saw the whole team that time.**

Out of curiosity and no disrespect to Mr. Fluery, but did he drink at all on that flight?

jahckass

Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Can't say if he drank but if i recall correctly it was a free drink flight as we took about 30min delay removing cargo to make room for all the crap they bring with them.