Thai Re-route Some EU/JP/OZ Flt Via Chiang Mai

Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:16 am

Justplanes is reporting that Thai Airways International plans to re-route some of its international flight to Australia, Europe and Japan from October 2003.

Some of these regions mentioned will re-routed via Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. Thai Airways is expanding Chiang Mai as the second hub. The carrier has launched Chiang Mai-Chittagong service in last December, but it was described as "political route".

FITPilot

RE: Thai Re-route Some EU/JP/OZ Flt Via Chiang Mai

Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:29 am

Is there supposed to be a lot of potential for O&D traffic between CNX and these regions or are they just going to have to increase the number of flights from CNX to BKK for passengers connecting to BKK. If they are going to use CNX for a lot of international connection traffic i would think the terminal would need some expansion.

ZK-NBT

Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:53 am

I wonder which Australia flights? From AKL TG have 10 flights weekly 7 via SYD and (747) and 3 via BNE (M11) surely they wouldn't make any of these flights have an extra stop. How about BKK-CNX-AKL?

Interesting though, I guess they don't have enough aircraft to have dedicated flights from CNX to Europe with seperate aircraft.

Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:51 pm

Thai is developing O&D traffic in Chiang Mai.

I doubted there'll be CNX-AKL flight, as the report states that some Australia flight will re-route via CNX. It doesn't cover NZ.

Another report suggesting that some Bangkok-Paris flight will become Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Paris.

sq_ek_freak

Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:40 pm

But wouldnt passengers who would be flying to Paris from Bangkok prefer a direct flight rather than one with a stop in CNX? I definitely would prefer a direct flight, and in some cases TG might loose customers to Air France just due to the fact that AF offers direct flights and TG doesnt. I know TG wont revert all their Paris bound flights via CNX, but there will obviosuly be less options if they did re-route selected flights.
Keep Discovering

FITPilot

Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:28 am

Sq_ek_freak, your comments summarize exactly what i was thinking about when i first read about this new plan at TG. Unfortunately, TG just can't develop O&D traffic to and from CNX. There has to be potential for it. If there is than maybe it could work. But i feel there would also have to be a lot of connecting passengers to be able to support these flights. I feel the connecting passengers would have to be going on another international flight or to a domestic city other than BKK. Because as Sq_ek_freak said it would just be an inconvenience for BKK passengers to have to stop in CNX when there are so many direct flights to BKK.
I hope there is a passenger base to support new flights to CNX. I travel there every year so it would be nice to not have to stop in BKK. Chiang Mai is a great city and is growing rapidly, so maybe TG can start small there just to get the plan off the ground and continue to increase flights as the city grows.

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:11 am

Sq_ek_freak:

I said some Bangkok-Paris flight will become Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Paris, not ALL.

thai747

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:35 am

Since TG relies heavily on transit passengers in BKK - I have my doubts on how successful this idea would be. Given the choice, flying from CDG to SYD - who would want to choose TG and transit through BKK and CNX - when they can go for other airlines with only one stop.

Bigo747:

and he said I know TG wont revert all their Paris bound flights via CNX, but there will obviosuly be less options if they did re-route selected flights

mehtabrahman

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:53 am

When you say that the Chiang Mai - Chittagong route is a political one, what do you mean by that? Please explain.

spk

Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:18 am

Chiang Mai is the home town of the prime minister. He try to make CNX the second hub for Thailand.

Chiang Mai - Chittagong doesn't really make money, AFAIK, but the flight was probably started to support the "second int'l hub" vision of the PM. Also, I suspect that the decision to reroute international flights to make a stop in CNX has been made under some pressure.

Ex_SQer

Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:51 am

I've lived and worked in BKK, and I can tell you that a lot of things in Thailand happen at the whim of top politicians and military officials. Spk is right in pointing out that CNX is the hometown of the Prime Minister. The PM has publicly stated that he wants CNX to be TG's second hub by having more international flights ex-CNX and/or establishing a low-cost carrier there. Whether or not either of these proposals is feasible is besides the point... TG cannot make the PM lose face by not delivering on his requests. Even if TG's current management refuse to boost operations at CNX, the PM would simply fire the managers and board and install people who will say yes to him.

Hopefully my cynicism hasn't offended anyone, but this is a fact of life in Thailand.

Megatop747-412

Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:43 am

Hi people:

Just curios about plans to re-route some flights ex BKK to Australia - wouldn't it make the flight a lot longer to fly, say, BKK-CNX-SYD, and I don't mean just because of the extra stop in CNX?? I mean, BKK lies in the southern direction (not sure whether it's just south, SE or SW, but "general southern direction" - you get the idea!) on CNX, and by flying BKK-CNX-Australia, you first be flying north (out of BKK), then south again out of CNX, perhaps past BKK again - wouldn't it seem like sort of "backtracking"? I just thot it seemed to make sore sense to fly CNX-BKK-Australia instead (just like some of TG's BKK-HKT-PER flights).

Regards
Megatop747-412

Jubilee777

Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:43 pm

Gentlemen,

I think Thai is just re-routing some routes so that they may *yikes* miss BKK altogether.

Lets look at it this way using the following 2 flights.

(1)TG LHR-CNX-BKK and (2)TG BKK-CNX-SYD

If TG's planning is good, paxs will fly LHR-CNX-SYD and skipping BKK altogether. Its still 1 stop service.

Get the point ?

Rgds
J777

aerokiwi

Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:57 am

I've flown Thai twice in the last year from New Zealand to Fance. Quite frankly, the stop in BNE or SYD and Bangkok are plenty. Another stop would just prove annoying and would make me seriously consider paying a little more for other airlines in the future. eg. SQ with just one stop.

AND, every flight I've been on between Bangkok and Paris in both directions, even in off-peak season, has been packed. So CNX must be politically motivated. Or just poor business practice. Or both!!