flyboy36y

Saftey And Music (Use Of Electronics...)

Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:30 am

Ok, I was going AA JFK-LHR and I could not use my cd or cassete player during take-off and landing. After that I could use both.

I then connected to Aer Lingus LHR-DUB. On EI I could use my casette player during the WHOLE flight (including t/o and landing) but could not use my CD player at all.

WHY?

flyboy36y

RE: Saftey And Music (Use Of Electronics...)

Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:12 pm

Anyone?

I've found refreshing my question to the top often gets it replies  Smile

Rick767

Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:28 pm

The Irish have weird rules on this sort of thing. Cathay Pacific didn't allow personal CD players many years ago but pretty much everyone does now. They cause no interference I am aware of.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:44 am

I've been told electronic devices such as personal stereos and CD players cause interference and malfunctions to the plane's navigational systems on take-off and landing. Not sure how valid this is.
In Arsene we trust!!

delta fly boy

Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:31 am

It's my understanding that CD players, and cassettes DO NOT interfere with any navigational equipment. However, They do not want anyone to use a CD player or cassette player incase of an emergency... You might not be able to hear announcements or emergency instructions. This is why you can listen to the inflight audio with headsets on, because the announcements come through them.

Rick767

Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:45 am

"I've been told electronic devices such as personal stereos and CD players cause interference and malfunctions to the plane's navigational systems on take-off and landing."

As Delta Fly Boy says this is rubbish. The ony reason the use of personal stereo equipment is not permitted during takeoff and landing is so that you can hear any emergency instructions. Many of the on-board entertainment facilities we have installed work on similar equipment.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos