OPNLguy
Topic Author

Excellent Shuttle Story

Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:35 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

transswede

RE: Excellent Shuttle Story

Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:20 am

The existence of this (relative) high-quality "USAF imagery" is not official by any means - not from NASA and not from USAF. The source of this is unknown.

Although lots of newspapers are running with this story, take it with a grain of salt. NASA did say in their daily briefings this morning that while they have seen some USAF images of the Shuttle's descent, they have not yet seen any that would show a clear structural problem in the wing, as the new stories indicate.

gordonroxburgh

Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:23 am

NASA have conformed that they have the pictures at this mornings media briefing:

"NASA confirmed Friday that the agency has received photos taken by a powerful military ground camera of the disintegrating space shuttle Columbia as it streaked across the western United States.

Mike Kostelnik, a deputy associate NASA administrator, refused to identify where the ground camera was located, but he said it did take pictures at the time Columbia was experiencing a breakup of the left wing. "

From Associated Press via USA today.

HlywdCatft

Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:43 am

Sounds pretty official to me, but some of the data's technicalities was over my head.

EA CO AS

Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:50 pm

That was a really well-written, informative article.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

gordonroxburgh

Here Is The Picture

Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:14 pm

NASA are worried about the left wing (at the bottom) and also the traling edge as it does maybe not match the right wing