L1011
Topic Author

Connie Window Question

Tue Nov 16, 1999 12:15 pm

Reading the post about the Airbus windows prompted me to ask this question. Although I flew during the piston era on DC-6s and DC-7s, I never flew on a Constellation. In pictures, the forward three or four windows are not in line with the rest of the windows. They are lower. Does that mean there is a step down when you enter the forward cabin? Is there a slope in the floor? Why are these windows lower? I hope there is someone on the forum old enough to have flown on a Connie who can answer this question.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

SAA747B

RE: Connie Window Question

Tue Nov 16, 1999 2:54 pm

Well, I wish I was old enough to have flown in a Connie (my all time favourite plane). I can but venture that the windows being lower is due to the down curve of the front fuselage. This down vurve was necessary to shorten the front undercarriage. The front u/c of a Connie is huge, think how it would have looked if the fuselage was straight. Off course the huge props necessitated this high ground stance. Sorry I don't now about the inside of the cabin, but I would venture that it sloped rather than being stepped.

timz

RE: Connie Window Question

Tue Nov 23, 1999 8:30 am

According to the article on the 1649 in 6July56 Flight (the English magazine, not the US one) the floor was level for the first 110 inches back from the forward pressure bulkhead, then stepped up 10 3/4 inches, then sloped steadily for the next 378 inches rearward (to just ahead of the wing leading edge) and was level from there back. Dunno how they define "level" in a Constellation fuselage.