triley1057

CO Flights To Canada

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:20 am

CO will be starting to fly from IAH to Edmonton (YEG?) in a few months. Last year, CO operated a seasonal service to YUL from IAH with a 737-500. As I recall, the flight did quite well. Are there any plans to bring back the flight this summer? I looked in the schedules but was unable to find anything. Do you guys think that CO is through with Canada expansion from IAH or is there a city or two that might come in the future?

yyz717

RE: CO Flights To Canada

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:36 am

CO already flies to YYZ (its largest Cdn station) from all 3 CO hubs. No further route expansion at YYZ is likely.

COEX flew briefly from CLE to YHM a few years ago...it would be nice to see this route return now that WJ has established a strong base at YHM (which establishes a mindset that YHM can support commercial service).

I think a COEX service to YTZ (Toronto Island Airport, downtown) would work from EWR or CLE. AC/Air Ontario used to operate YTZ-EWR Dash 8 service.

EWR-YYC/YVR routes are probably viable, at least in the summer.

IAH-YUL was a summer-only service as you mentioned. It may not return this summer.

Since USEX pulled out of YXU (London ON)-PIT, I would imagine that YXU-CLE by COEX might work.

CO is adding daily EWR-YHZ 735 service again this summer.

Neil.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Jayce

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:14 am

Neil, CO already flies EWR-YVR in the summer.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

B747-437B

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:49 am

YXU-CLE by COEX might work

CO codeshares on NWA's YXU-DTW flights.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

N766UA

Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:07 am

Air Ontario used to fly YXU-CLE till about 3 years ago.
This Website Censors Me

yyz717

Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:07 am

Surprisingly, AC flew YXU-CLE with DC-9's until the mid-70's.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

spyderz

Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:25 am

Who knows, maybe with the recent terminal expansion at YXU some future US expansion may occur. Unfortunately, many of the Northwest flights that I see depart out of YXU aren't overly full, but I'm not around the airport very often. Maybe CO could use those 19-seaters of Regionair? that have just started in CLE I believe.

Noise

Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:35 am

CO's CommutAit flies Montreal-Albany.

yow

Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:17 pm

Air Ontario used to fly YXU-CLE till about 3 years ago.

That service ended well over 10 years ago. You must be thinking of US Express to PIT which ended about 3 years ago.

Commutair-Continental Connection also recently added YOW-ALB. YYZ-ALB would be about the only new expansion of the Continental brand in YYZ (other than increased frequencies), although this is unlikely with Air Georgian/Alliance flying YYZ-ALB several times a day already.

YXU/YHM/YOW-CLE, YXU/YHM-EWR and YYC-EWR seasonally are about the only new routes I could see CO and its regional airlines adding to Canada in CO's present form, also assuming YUL-IAH returns this summer.

flyyul

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:54 am

With the potential war in Iraq, I doubt CO will return with YULIAH..

During summer time, the flights were very full (I worked a few of them!). The problem was that there were always a ton of low-yield passengers going to either SJO or Lima. I remember one flight being delayed 35 minutes due to half the plane being TWOV's...

Same problem out of Toronto! The YYZ-IAH flights are very low-yield, and very dependent on the seasonal Latin American travellers. In November, youll often see the route with 30-40% load factors.... but since AC is on the route, CO wont cut... theyve already gone from 3 a day to 2.

The YYC/YVR-IAh flights fair much better... AA's got the same problem on YYZ/YUL-DFW..

Mark

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos