pgh234

COex Restarts CLE To PIT, ERI, AZO, ELM

Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:46 am

It turns out CommutAir is returning (like numerous people on the board have been saying) to CLE with the 19 seaters and restarting their pre-9/11 service to PIT, ERI, AZO, and ELM.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030210/dam033_1.html

(^sorry...for some reason it is not letting me make a link today)

pgh234

B747-437B

RE: COex Restarts CLE To PIT, ERI, AZO, ELM

Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:54 am

For the record, CommutAir is NOT Continental Express, but rather Continental Connection.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Airplanelover

Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:09 am

Yeah, I saw it on the Continental Itinerary. I was looking for PIT-DEN flights, and I saw Continental from PIT-CLE-DEN-CLE-PIT and I was surprised. Thanks for the update!

ouboy79

Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:09 am

Discussed already under another thread months ago. LOL Next batch should have TOL, FWA, etc. in the mix for May or even late April.

ncflyer

Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:52 am

Ouboy79: ELM and AZO were announced previously, but this is the first official announcment of PIT and ERI. Sure there was speculation on this board, but there's speculation about lots of things here that never leads to any official press release!!

Wonder which gate these planes will use at CLE. And I also wonder why the ELM and AZO flights weren't ever mentioned in the Cleveland media at all-- shame on Continental-- no announcement on CO's website either. Their support of Cleveland is tenuous at best. The only article on Continental in the last 3 or 4 months in the Plain Dealer delt with the seasonal suspension of the LGW flight for next winter. This at a time when you would think CO would be all over the benefit from the UA and US bankruptcies.

thomacf

Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:48 pm

NcFlyer-

CO still flies LGW-CLE a few times a week. Was it annoucned that they would suspend the whole flight again next winter or scale back like they are now?

ouboy79

Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:55 pm

Ncflyer, actually ELM & AZO never really were in a press release. The speculation on here about PIT & ERI came about when the schedules were published - not really speculation. Of course that could have been over on USAviation.com, which would seem more likely since the information is a tad more credible there.

ncflyer

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:38 pm

Thomacf-- there was article leading the Plain Dealer Business section saying the LGW flight would be suspended in winter of 2003-2004-- that the flight just wasn't cutting it in the off-season. I should have posted it here, especially cause the Plain Dealer website is so bad that you will have a hard time finding an archived article. I'd say it was 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I think it was on a Saturday but not sure about that.

It's funny but the closing of CMH makes me very bearish on CLE. 1) Co just ain't investing in it. 2) Excellent article in today's WSJ on America West quoting an analyst who says there are too many hubs right now and the small ones just won't cut it 3) CLE's load factors must be so bad that CO would rather park planes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Saturdays than fly them-- I can't imagine where else CO deploys it's planes on those days so I assume they are parked. 4) CLE can't even support a lousy 757 to London year round, whereas smaller O/D markets such as RDU and CVG and CLT can.

Alpha 1

Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:47 pm

Wonder which gate these planes will use at CLE.

Plans are for Commutair to use the piers at D-21 and D-25, while COEX will keep the piers at D-17 and D-28.

shame on Continental-- no announcement on CO's website either. Their support of Cleveland is tenuous at best.

What's the big deal? It's not even CO service-it's a codeshare. It's not like it's announcing CLE-AMS or something.  Smile

4) CLE can't even support a lousy 757 to London year round, whereas smaller O/D markets such as RDU and CVG and CLT can.

Take a look at the loads out of IAH and EWR this off-peak? The 777's out of IAH are nowhere near full, and EWR-LGW frequencies have been reduced. In fact, a 757 has been running on some of the EWR-LGW instead of a 762. Right now, NOTHING is doing well for any of the carriers, if you've noticed.

The CLE-LGW flight is packed during the summer-I know, I've worked a good 350 of them since 1999. The best cure for CLE and all hubs would be a stronger economy.

As for the reduced schedule, you run what is profitable. Right now, the least profitable days, probably at most hubs, are tuesday/wednesday/saturdays, where very few business fares are being bought-mostly discounted coach fares for people trying to get those maxi-shafter deals. There's nothing wrong with cutting out the red ink if that's where it's at. CO has scaled back ops at all 3 hubs on those days.

Markus

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:44 pm

"Plans are for Commutair to use the piers at D-21 and D-25, while COEX will keep the piers at D-17 and D-28."

This makes perfect sense now that you can go 'around' the entire D concourse while taxiing. For the record...the CLE-ELM will be brand new service for CLE. ELM hasn't been serviced by Continental (Express/Connection) since 1993 when there were 5 flights every weekday from Newark with EMB-120's and ATR-42's.
Cheers,
Markus

Work smart
Not hard

masseybrown

RE: CoEx: CLE-AUS And CLE-SAT

Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:55 pm

Does anybody know whether Commutair bought some additional Beeches for this service or are they shifting flights out of Albany/White Plains?

dan2002

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:25 am

Does anyone know if cle will use jetways to board the 1900s or will have to board outside?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

DFORD757

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:06 am

Markus...

ELM did have Co service for a while a few years ago, after Commutair went from US Airways Express to Continental. It wasn't for very long (I would say maybe a couple months at the most) and I think it was service to JFK.

DFORD757

nwa man

Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:36 am

"4) CLE can't even support a lousy 757 to London year round, whereas smaller O/D markets such as RDU and CVG and CLT can."

Anyone who thinks that CVG is an O/D market is out of their mind.
Also, RDU is subsidized by Glaxo-Wellcome. It is unlikely that the city alone would warrant the flight.

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

Alpha 1

Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:27 am

Does anyone know if cle will use jetways to board the 1900s or will have to board outside?

Maybe someone can correct me,but I don't know of anything smaller than ATR-42's or RJ's that use jetways. Certianly not the Beech1900. On Concourse D, they will use the piers at D-21 and D-25, from what I've heard so far. It'll be the walk outside. Actually, more than a few RJ flights still use the piers.

ouboy79

Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:36 am

From what I know, the DEWs can only go down to Saab 340s (NW uses one here in TOL and other cities) and up to a 757. The only covered bridge that could be used on the Beech maybe some of the covered ramps out there - like the DFW Satellite terminal. However, don't quote me on that.

thomacf

Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:31 pm

I totally agree with NWA Man, CVG is a much worse O&D market. The only reason they have more service is due to the fact that DL is a much bigger airline than CO and they have much more feed into the CVG hub. They are able to fill all their planes there with connecting paxs because they fly more people. This same principle applies to AA at STL and NW at MSP. In the case of CLE having lower passenger loads, smaller numbers of int'l service and more RJ (instead of mainline CO) traffic is not because of the city, corporations or population, it's the size of the airline hubbed there.

masseybrown

RE: COex Restarts CLE To PIT,ERI,AZO,ELM

Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:03 pm

CAL has posted more start dates for CLE Commutair Beech 1900D routes:

CLE-TOL and AVP May 4th
CLE-LAN Jun 1st
CLE-MBS and FNT Jul 6th
CLE-SBN and FWA Aug 3rd

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos