LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Some Southwest Passengers Can't Take A Joke

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:07 pm

From the Houston Chronicle:

Trial set in Southwest "racist rhyme" suit
02/10/2003

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1772542

Apparently, two black pasengers were insulted when a Southwest FA said over the intercom "Eenie meenie miney moe - Pick a seat we gotta go" because historically, the rhyme used to be "Eenie meenie miney moe - Catch a n_____ (deragatory term for African Americans) by the toe".

Sounds like typical Southwest humor to me.

LoneStarMike

HlywdCatft

RE: Some Southwest Passengers Can't Take A Joke

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:14 pm

This was posted earlier actually on this board.

corocks

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:16 pm

Some people need to get a life.

OPNLguy

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:22 pm

Ya know, when I first heard this little ditty as a kid, it was "catch a tiger by the toe." Only way I've -ever- heard it since.

It's just a matter of time before a similar suit is filed by the American Association of Tiger Lovers....

Gotta love the legal system in America....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Dash8King

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:24 pm

That is complete bullshit and just another example of Sue Happy America.

Tom in NO

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:46 pm

And if the lawsuit follows recent examples, the alleged 'plaintiffs' will sue not only Southwest, but also the Las Vegas airport operator, Boeing, the air traffic controllers on duty that were no doubt making the FA rush her pre-flight, the aircraft refueler, and the passengers seated in the next row back.

This sounds like Johnnie Cochran territory.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

txagkuwait

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:47 pm

If the seatbelt where you sit doesn't fit you must acquit

ual777contrail

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:48 pm

somebody wants free travel for life.

ual 777 contrail

HlywdCatft

Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:48 pm

yeah this is the first time i heard this poem with the N word in it. I always thought that it was tiger.

clipper471
Crew

Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:30 pm

"Grace Fuller, 48, and her sister Louis Sawyer, 46, were returning from Las Vegas two years ago..."

The purpose of the suit is to try to recoup what they lost gambling in Vegas, I'm sure. I wonder how much they lost? Brilliant.

[Edited 2003-02-11 06:31:01]

ual777contrail

Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:38 pm

hlywd,
I agree, we use to say that little diddy when we were trying to find out who was going to be "it" first while playing hide and seek in the summertime as a kid.

ual 777 contrail

mls515

Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:12 pm

Same here with the tiger. I never heard it with the "n-word" in that, and I even lived in Texas, Alabama and Mississippi as a kid.

mandala499

Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:29 pm

I think I will take civil lawsuit insurance as part of my travel insurance when I next to go to USA.

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

LAXFlyer

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:19 pm

Amazing! Here we have two sisters who no doubt use terms as "Cracker and Honky" when referring to white people and then get offended when a FA tries to inject some fun into flying. Thats the US legal system for you. It reminds me of the time when I stepped off one of my flights to chat with an agent I hadn't seen for a while. During the course of chatting I asked what our return load was and she replied, "Full and those people are standby." Those people happened to be a black family. Daddy heard the words, "those people," and he had to confront the agent asking her, "What do you mean those people?" Of course he had to accuse her of being racist and threaten to sue, threaten to write a nasty letter, threaten to own the airline, etc. Nothing ever became of it, just another attempt of someone trying to get something for nothing. He did however provide us with plenty of laughs that day. I sincerely hope these two clowns get a jury who also find the lawsuit foolish and toss Martha and her remaining Vandella right out on thier keesters. Hopefully they'll land on Al Sharpton.

jhooper

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:28 pm

Why isn't this protected speech?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

AWspicious

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:48 pm

As a tiger, I'm highly insulted by this historical little ditty. Perhaps, Kellogg can recommend a good lawyer.
Funny thing, the version I knew had the 'n' word... and that was in Trinidad - B-wee land.
And what's this about being insulted because they're called people. Can somebody please help me understand this one. You call then 'N' - They're insulted. You call them 'People' - They're insulted. What do they want to be called?!?! I really need to know the answer to this, because, in this day and age of political correctness, I've got to bring my daughter up to speed on how she is to describe herself. After-all, I can't have her living in the dark ages. Oops..... Is that a bad thing to say?

Yeah sure
Tony

Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

goingboeing

Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:03 pm

Couple of things - Johnnie Cochran doesn't work on a contingency basis. And I hope that SWA appears in court, offers to inform all FA's to cease singing the song, thus "righting the wrong", and with the main reason for monetary damages being thrown out, ending the case. You ever see the look on a lawyers face who worked on a contingency basis and got a settlement like that? It ain't pretty.

The story was in yesterdays Kansas City Star and one of the ladies is claiming that it caused her to have a grand mal seizure after she got home. I don't know how long this link will be active, but here it is:

<http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/5144735.htm>

airsicknessbag

Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:30 pm

"The court agrees with plaintiffs that because of its history, the phrase `eenie, meenie, minie, moe' could reasonably be viewed as objectively racist and offensive."

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
I wonder why US lawyers have such a stellar reputation and are loved by everybody...

"The jury will have to decide whether Southwest denied Sawyer and Fuller the same enjoyment that others experienced on that flight."

WN provides enjoyment to their pax? Good to hear that, what kind of enjoyment?

"It was like I was too dumb to find a seat."

Bad bad seats, hiding from that lady, tsk tsk. I guess not only WN´s stewardesses are racist, but also their seats.

"She has ´unexplained memory gaps´ about the flight."

Yeah, she doesn´t remember when she lost common sense...

"Because she did not have health insurance, she did not seek medical attention, she said."

Maybe she should get health insurance rather than be going to Vegas...

"Southwest attendants, frequently employ humor on flights."

Oh my God, why isn´t that cruel and unusual practice outlawed???

Daniel Smile

lgbguy

Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:48 pm

I'm offended just reading this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the lawsuits begin, hehehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lgbguy  Wink/being sarcastic

jtamu97

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:50 am

That is insane! You cannot say anything now a days without someone misconstruing it. I did consult my attorney before posting this message in fear the same people might come after me for not using a contraction and actually spelling out cannot...Perhaps I am insulting some less intelligent person Big grin..Also on behalf of the Americans for Tigers Movement, I am going to march on Washington and demand the word Tiger be removed...Funny thing is Tigers don't really have toes anyways Smile....See we can all be ridiculous, I just don't understand why some people have to make a living out of it. I hope this does not deter the Flight Attendants from still joking around..That is the fun part about Southwest
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

airsicknessbag

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:56 am

>>>Also on behalf of the Americans for Tigers Movement, I am going to march on Washington

Kind of a "Trillion Tigers March", huh?

Daniel Smile

jtamu97

Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:18 am

I'll let someone else run with that..Don't want to get sued myself, plus think I could only round up about 300 Tigers or so Big grin
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

sllevin

Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:23 am

Now, I'm from the west, but I do consider myself fairly well educated and civilised, and I never knew the origins of that ditty. I remember singing it all the time when we were kids.....

You learn something every day.

Steve

fspilot747

Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:39 am

I think the Judge should throw them in the slammer and lose the key just for wasting his time.

FSP

dan2002

Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:56 am

The new WN flight attendant set of laws.

In her report, Cundiff wrote, "The statement I made on Flight 524 was not racist or discriminating, and I am offended that because I have white skin suddenly I am a racist. Maybe those that run around pointing fingers yelling racist should stop and turn that finger around."
And when i read it i think it should be stuck on the so called "victims" foreheads.
And that is if they arent still bedridden or able to remember where their foreheads are. Big grin

dan2002

A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

corocks

Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:04 am

She has Epilepsy, but has no health insurance, real smart. No health insurance but spent time in Vegas. "Com-on lucky seven, mama needs some health insurance!"

zrs70

Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:08 am

When I first learned about the origin of this poem 15 years ago, I stopped using it. Period.

Similaryly, I stopped using the expression "to gyp" someone.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

flyinghighboy

Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:14 am

Well this is the first time I've heard about that phrase that it was "nig..." I always thought it was tiger as well down here in Australia. We used it when we were going to pick someone to be it when playing tag like in grade 3.

I like the US but some things I just don't like this let's sue everyone for anything attitude. Just one thing though, Australia isn't that far off with lawyers advertising "don't win don't pay."

nwa man

Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:22 am

How long before Greg comes on this thread and says the suit is justified?

Methinks no more than an hour...

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

SegmentKing

Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:06 am

and it only took her 2 years to file the lawsuit............
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

HlywdCatft

Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:23 am

Most of the people who scream racism to everything are racist themselves

EA CO AS

Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:23 am

I have a funny feeling that WN may rein in their flight attendants from making rhymes and such if these two idiots actually win their case for big bucks.  Sad
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Beefmoney

Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:32 am

This is what bugs me.

If you watch BET (Black Entertainment Televison) and you watch the black comedians they feature you will notice one major thing. EVERY comedian goes into a rant about 1)Whats the deal with white people 2) Why cant white people dance 3) Black people are sexier/hotter/prettier/smarter than white people. Feel free to insert "Honky" or "Cracker" in place of "White people", because they like to say that as well.

Now, African-Americans seem to have free reign when it comes to racial discrimination. They can call white people, like myself, any number of things that put us down without the slightest fear of being confronted. But if a white person says anything that even HINTS at racisim, they are dragged to court. "They said I was "black" and that offends me." "They didnt hire me because Im African American and I want $10 million for emotional distress. (even though they actually werent hired because they just werent qualified enough)."

Why do we have such a double standard?

Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:27 am

I can't wait for these two to fly UA and then sue cuz they were flying in the back of the 'bus(row 22 or so on the 319) so UA is therefore racist.

Or if WN asked them if they would like their coffee 'black'.

redngold

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:23 pm

This makes me furious the more I read about it.

-->We're late but we're black so we should be allowed on the plane anyway
-->The rhyme was aimed at me
-->The rhyme was racist
-->My memory gaps are caused by the rhyme, not my self-righteous anger
-->My seizure was caused by the rhyme
-->I had a seizure that left me bedridden for three days but neither I nor anyone else thought I should go to the hospital

Worst of all,
-->and the courts should believe me and give me money for it!

Sheesh  Angry
redngold
Up, up and away!

HlywdCatft

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:29 pm

How does Johnnie Cochrane have time to do this case with Southwest? I thought he was too busy going after the Detroit Lions for not interviewing any black coaches.

I think these two women are just mad now that blacks are not the largest minority in the U.S.

FlyingTexan

Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:40 pm

I got a call once from a passenger of Asian decent. He stated ranting and raving that AA racially discriminated against him on LAX-LAS. He was a protected passenger from DL (w/a Priceline tkt).

The MD-80 was full in Y- typical of a Friday night - with one open in F. We upgraded an AAdvantage top tier member. This guy was screaming discrimination based on his ethnicity.

These SWA sue happy pax need to go on a n/s to hell. I have lived in some ass backwards Texas towns and have never heard this racist version of the rhyme.

Sock it to 'em Herb!!!

JR FlyingTexan
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:25 pm

i always thought it was catch a tiger by its toe...

I need to be able to sue people for sueing about stupid things that piss me off. Get me my lawyer!
Chicks dig winglets.

fspilot747

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:32 pm

Yeah the more I think about it, the more stirred up I get. These jerks are a disgrace to humanity.

FSP

AerMickey

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:36 pm

Nothing would be better than to see the Ole' attorney walking through the doors of the court room. None other than the man who transformed SWA into the airline they are today. Herb, do your duty and block that civil action suit down their pieholes.

Mickey

dash8tech

Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:07 pm

When I was in the Navy - a highly culturally diverse arena - we had a gentlemen, a white fella that got into trouble for calling a black shipmate the "N" word only after hearing the black fella and his buddies calling eachother that in casual conversation...

When will it end....

jmc1975

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:27 am

The truth is, nobody was called a nigger onboard the flight. But it's becoming more obvious that there were two passengers on that flight who were very deserving of that name.

goingboeing

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:37 am

AerMickey - If Herb's the lawyer, I'm taking the day off to sit in court and watch.

prosa

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:47 am

It's funny, I heard (and used) the Eenie Menie etc. rhyme many times as a child, and I never imagined that it was anything except "catch a tiger by the toe." And note that this was in the 1960's, well before political correctness. I was very surprised to hear, years later, that the rhyme had a less-savory version.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

707CMF

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:55 am

Lowfareair >

Or if WN asked them if they would like their coffee 'black'.

Like your men ?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Antoine, airplanelover

gr8slvrflt

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:00 am

Growing up in the South in the sixties, I definitely heard the racist version many times. I can see how these two ladies would have been offended, especially since the comment was made over the public address system. I doubt the offense was intended, however, and I don't feel monetary damages are merited. We all have to learn that it is possible to offend and insult others from different backgrounds without realizing it. I find some of the above comments downright sad.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

corocks

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:02 am

Actually I have always heard it as catch a 'Lion' by his toe.

goingboeing

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:18 am

There is a website that addresses the "racist" issue at:

<http://www.mtsu.edu/~wlangsto/CogPsyNotes9.html>

It says in part:

"In fact, looking at samples from people who learned the rhyme in 1953, 1965, 1976, and 1978, the n-word appears 40%, 6%, .5% and 0% of the time. Tiger appears 56%, 70%, 84%, and 100%. In other words, social forces outside the rhyme genre made change, and the system settled on the one with the best poetics (better than the original)."

The FA who used the phrase was born in 1979, and would have learned it in the early 80's - if the studies that were conducted could be used, then she most likely had no idea that of the offensive nature of the rhyme.

IMHO, the above website shows that the rhyme is used as an early memory tool, and is not taught by "race hating" parents to their kids.

B747-437B

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:28 am

For the record, my Catholic school in India taught me the "nigger" version as late as the early 1980s and probably still does so. The first I heard the "tiger" version was in Australia in 1984.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:37 am

Here in the U.S. there is a morning talk show called The View, with Meredith Viera, Star Jones, Joy Behar and Barbara Walters. Barbara wasn't on the show today, and the guest co-host was Queen Latifah.

Anyway, the first 20 minutes or so of the show is called Hot Topics, where the ladies discuss items in the news, and this lawsuit was discussed on today's show.

Star Jones, who is African American, said she thought the lawsuit was ridiculous. She made the point that these ladies are making a big deal out of nothing and that their lawsuit, in fact, pulls people's attention away from the REAL racist issues. Queen Latifah made the comment that she liked Southwest because they were unconventional. She mentioned that the FA's wore shorts and told jokes and "I really dig that", she said.

Then Bill Geddes, the Viewmaster, who is the producer of the show and sits in the audience related a story about a Southwest flight where the captain banked the plane and told all the passengers on one side of the plane "OK...look out the window... it's coming... there it is! That's my house!" Bill Geddes said the whole plane cracked up. It actually turned out to be some pretty good publicity for Southwest.

LoneStarMike