Topic Author

Has Security Gone To Far? (Avalon)

Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:58 pm

Hi, I actually got in a bit of trouble today down at the airshow (Avalon) with QF security and so one of my co-workers said I could get advice here...

I work as a Tarmac Marshall and today I was marshalling an aircraft (in full uniform) to Hanger 4 at YMAV... which means you have to go pass hanger 6, which today had a beautiful new QF 744ER parked at the front. As I was just walking behind this plane on a tug i decided to take some photos from the taxiway... but to my surprise a car pulled up beside me and a security guard confiscated my camera... I did not think it was anything but when I started to ask for my camera back they said I had committed a federal offence (and could receive up to 15 years jail for it) and that I had to surrender my personal details and delete all the images of the Qantas aircraft if I wanted my camera back... they had also notified the police (remembering this was at the airshow but in the hangers area)... not wanting to cause a fuss I did what I was told. Is it true that Qantas told security it doesn't like photos of its aircrafts to be taken?

Was this over the top? if I should complain... who should I do it too? because this was with Chubb security...
Thanks for your help

RE: Has Security Gone To Far? (Avalon)

Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:29 pm

Apparently, photography is getting illegal.
I wonder why a terrorist would use a photo of a QF 744ER.

-Transaero Boeing 737-200
PS: In the US it might be the same situtation, because planes are considered "Secure Objects"
What now?

Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:06 pm

I wonder why a terrorist would use a photo of a QF 744ER

They wouldn't. But who says that the film only contains QF 747 pictures, and not details of the surrounding access points, fences, possible entry areas...?

Cameras airside are bound to make security people unhappy. We know you're innocent, you know you're innocent. But the security guys don't.

Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:48 am

This is dumb. The security guard should go to jail.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:47 am

Hmmm Southern, trickie:

Does your employer condone you taking photos whilst marshalling aircraft? If so, I'd take it up with the organizers (after all it is an Airshow). My guess is that the area you were in is secure and there's precious little recourse. Otherwise I'd go back and take lots'n'lots more shots - and have a word with Ross & John on 3AW; they've been hyping the Airshow all week!

Perhaps this QF744 has been fitted with spy cameras for flights over Indian Powerplants!! - Now there's one for 3AWs Rumour File!!!

Sorry - not much help, I know!

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:09 pm

omg omg omg, does this mean the 744ER will be at avalon on the weekend?? I hope it is please, oh well I might get a chance to fly one anyway on my US trip in June this year.

I agree that the photo incident is a bit extreme.

Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:26 pm

You should probably find out if your action really was a violation of the law. I don't know AUstrailian law so I can't comment there but...

In the U.S. there IS NO LAW PROHIBITING PHOTOGRAPHY OF CIVIL AIRCRAFT. Now if you are on private property there may be some issues where they could force you to leave, but they would be on really shakey ground taking your property. The only time they could do that and be justified was if it invovled some military project. (as an example being on the property of a defense contractor and taking photos where the public is not allowed. Usually those areas are posted with "No Cameras" signs etc...)

Once you have determined what your legal rights are under Aus. law you should first contact the mangament of the area you were in and the ssueprvisors of the security company. After that it may be time to turn to a lawyer.

But first find out if you were in the wrong or if you were right.

Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:24 pm

thanks for your help guys!

Everybody has cameras there to take photos... so i was no extraordinary case i guess i was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have lodged a complaint with QF and am awaiting a response. i'm not sure if the ER will be there for the whole show, because I know it came over for refueling today so it may depart? but anyhow u'd only be able to see it and not take photos! hehe  Smile

THanks again

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:50 am

I cant speak for everyone, but speaking for myself I say alot of the security makes sence but some of it lately is getting a bit rediculis.... I had to go throu the metal detector thingy 3 times, get the hand held detector twice and take me shoes off and go throu all over again because my shoe had a little piece of metal where the shoestring leaves the shoe... I knew that was the problem, the other pax new that was the problem, the security staff new that was what it was but still had to take 10 minutes at security, not including the line, and had to leave behind a very nice pen i purchased the day before and after all that I had to take out me camera nad take a pic of the security place for proof it was a working camera then take out the film and loose all the pics I had!!!!!! those were pics of my gramma's 80th birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like strangling the security guy when he forced me to throw out them pics.... good thing I didnt I guess.... Anyways the point is I get that sorta stuff every single time I fly!!!! puts me right off... till they smarten up Ill just stay up north and fly to places where the security people are a little more friendly, I dont mind extra security, as long as the people are friendly about it and dont go overboard with it!

What could possibly go wrong?