blink182

Gatwick Terminal North Closed

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:04 am

I am watching CNN right now, they are reporting that Gatwick's North Terminal is closed. That's all they know, I am assuming this is due to security. Does anybody have any more details? How will this affect BA's schedule?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

RE: Gatwick Terminal North Closed

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:07 am

How will this affect BA's schedule?

If true, it certainly won't help. Expect some delays, even some cancellations if this is a serious security threat. May just be a false/smoke alarm, let's see what happens.

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:07 am

The shut down is caused by security alert.

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:10 am

2 men in a car stopped and arrested at Heathrow perimeter fence as a "precautionary measure" after they failed to adequately explain what they were doing. Could be spotters, from the sounds of it!

NBC News1

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:19 am

Could be nothing...this happens all the time in the states.

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:24 am

Good point NBC - but in the UK, this type of thing is all new and very exciting.

I'll bet you MI5/6 have their work cut out at the moment...

Rick767

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:36 am

Just got into Gatwick (South) from Malaga and heard that a case full of hand grenades was found in the North Terminal  Confused
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

backfire

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:37 am

I heard that it was only a silly chap leaving his briefcase unattended in a coffee bar. Bet the cops gave him a right old bollocking.

[Edited 2003-02-13 17:38:05]

jcs17

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:49 am

How will this affect BA's schedule?
If true, it certainly won't help. Expect some delays, even some cancellations if this is a serious security threat. May just be a false/smoke alarm, let's see what happens.

Ahhh...it wont be too bad since it happened at LGW...if it happened at Heathrow, BA would be screwed.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ahlfors

Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:58 am

BBC is now reporting someone was arrested at Gatwick under the Terrorism Act.

gr325

Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:00 am

It is not affecting schedule much. Ba 8026 nbound for LGW from GCI is just taking off. Short delays are expected for parking.
"You should have gone to specsavers"

dc-10 levo

Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:53 am

37 Year Old from Venezuela. Hand Grenades found!

DC-10

Demoose

Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:59 am

"The man's baggage was searched after his arrival on a British Airways flight from Colombia, Sussex Police said.
A suspicious object was examined by explosives experts and found to be a live grenade, detectives said."

Full details at BBC online at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2757143.stm

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

777236ER

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:07 am

After the flight had landed?! Scary stuff.
Your bone's got a little machine

shamrock104

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:16 am

Just another example of utter US and UK inspired paranoia. The man was coming off a flight, not boarding. More hysteria created to justify a pointless war by Bush and Blair. I sincerly hope France, Germany and Russia hold their stance against War.

777236ER

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:18 am

Just another example of utter US and UK inspired paranoia. The man was coming off a flight, not boarding.

The guy had a LIVE grenade. How is this paranoia? We're just lucky the grenade wasn't used to bring the plane down over London.
Your bone's got a little machine

Spacepope

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:20 am

Yeah, as long as you don't use the weapon or explosives on the flight it's allright..... someone here seems to be either totally missing or ignoring the point.

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

flyingbronco05

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:22 am

UPDATE - Hand grenade found in UK airport terror alert

"LONDON, Feb 13 (Reuters) - A Venezuelan man carrying a live hand grenade was arrested at Britain's Gatwick airport on Thursday by police on high alert for an al Qaeda terror attack."

More at: http://biz.yahoo.com/rm/030213/britain_airport_1.html
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

artsyman

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:24 am

Just another example of utter US and UK inspired paranoia. The man was coming off a flight, not boarding.

This is actually just another example of how the people that want to be Anti America and Anti Britain will argue every point. The next one will be 18 muslim men were arrested at LHR after killing the cabin crew and trying to storm the cockpit. This will be seen by the usual cohorts as another American over reaction I suppose.

A live granade !!!....

Jeremy

Rick767

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:37 am

"Just another example of utter US and UK inspired paranoia. The man was coming off a flight, not boarding. More hysteria created to justify a pointless war by Bush and Blair. I sincerly hope France, Germany and Russia hold their stance against War."

Hysteria?? Pardon me but are you mad?? Serious question.

The mad had a bloody LIVE GRENADE for crying out loud. The fact he didn't use it on the plane is not relevant. If someone had just got off my plane with a live grenade, I would be pretty pissed off if they just let him go.

The fact that Bush and Blair want to pick a fight in Iraq (which I will reserve my personal judgment on since this forum is not for me to air such views) does not mean that vital issues to flight safety and security should not be considered seriously.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

jayhup

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:40 am

It's nice to see that true ignorance is alive and well!

Thise nice boys never meant to slam those planes into any buildings right?

JH

artsyman

Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:41 am

Considering that you almost never get searched on the way off a plane, I am curious who tipped the police or what triggered the search

Jeremy

Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:03 am

Security failed somewhere........perhaps at Bogota
rgds

jayhup

Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:04 am

Seeing as how he was coming from CCS the reason he was searched was because they were looking for drugs.

Now.....I'm sure someone on this forum is going to say that there are no drugs in the UK and that drugs are a myth created by Tony Blair to spend countless pounds on customs inspectors and police when drugs just simply do not exist...right?

JH

kaitak

Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:06 am

My thinking exactly, Artsyman!

Still, very serious stuff. All the way from CCS on a 777. That could have been very serious, if not fatal. There can be no excuse for a member of the public having a real grenade, let along bringing it on a flight. No wonder they took it very seriously.

There will need to be a very serious review of security at CCS now; there are only three flights a week to LGW, but many, many daily flights to US destinations and it only takes something like this for "certain people" to focus attention on specific parts of the world.

Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:09 am

Was it CCS then? News reports the man as coming off a BA flight from Colombia - or does the BOG service start at CCS?

Also, was it a 777? Thought they were using the 767 on those flights?

cheers

jayhup

Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:18 am

Because of the political situation in CCS the flight makes essentially three stops...TAB, CCS and BOG and is operated by a 777.

What scares me the most is that (like that d**khead shoe bomber) this could be a dry run for something else. I doubt it but it makes you wonder....

JH

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:01 am

CCS is Caracas Capt Picard.

The disturbing thing is if this guy had the same intensions as the shoe bomber Richard Reid then this BA 777 would have been blown to bits. The question we have to ask is how did this pax get a live grenade onboard from Colombia?
In Arsene we trust!!

artsyman

Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:05 am

The disturbing thing is if this guy had the same intensions as the shoe bomber Richard Reid then this BA 777 would have been blown to bits. The question we have to ask is how did this pax get a live grenade onboard from Colombia?

I don't think the grenade was on board as in the cabin, I think it was in checked luggage in the belly, not that this makes me feel any better but just wanted to point it out.

Jeremy

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:14 am

Still a cause for great concern, the fact that he managed to get a grenade onboard even if it was in the cargo hold is still worrying. We can everything to improve security at all UK airports but what do you if security standards on flights not originating in the UK is dire?

In Arsene we trust!!

Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:20 am

Guys, I knew CCS was Caracas. Sorry if i gave the wrong impression...

cheers

p.s. hope this guy gets an absolute bollocking

WiLdmanVzla

Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:35 am

well, well, well...

I use to travel to CCS a lot of times each year because my family lives there... and security is so strong over there only if you´re a venezuelan living outside your country (as me) & if they suppouse you´re against the Chavez govt. ... so, I´m not surprised because of what happened this morning at Gatwick, the Chavez govt. supports all ultra left movements around the world & that might include terrorists.

shamrock104

Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:51 am

As far as I understand from reports, the grenade was in the mans hold baggage, which would indicate he wasn't going to use it inflight.

jayhup

Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:03 am

What if it 'used itself' and blew a hole in the airplane?????

JH

BD1959

Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:33 am

Would something like this - where security cannot be guaranteed - be enough for airlines which appreciate a good safety record (such as BA) to pull out of certain South American destinations?

BD1959

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:49 am

This is very disturbing, but I can't say I'm surprised. Anyone with enough cash to spend could bribe a Colombian airport official to let a bag "slip by", thinking it's full of cocaine instead of high explosives.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

covert

Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:05 pm

Probably bribed them....

Hey it is a third world country right?

none

EWRvirgin

Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:57 pm

The authorities better take notice. With the security measures put in place after 9/11 making it all but impossible to smuggle anything through security at US and UK airports, the possibility of smuggling weapons into domestic airports by exploiting weaknesses in security at foreign airports makes it a very tangible threat. Exploiting these weaknesses essentially allows any would-be terrorist to bypass local security and "contaminate", if you will, sterile areas such as departure lounges.

ussherd

Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:04 pm

Security at Caracas can be quite tight. Several times I have been pulled out of the queue at the gate and taken downstairs to open my luggage because I was carrying stuff that looked like it might contain drugs. I was under the impression that all hold luggage at Caracas was screened, but I may be wrong and the screening may only be for drugs..... but presumableysomething like a grenade would show up. At the moment CCS is chaotic as they are in the process of renovating the airport. The culture of corruption wouldn't help either. If you had enough money you could probably gain access to any part of the airport you wanted.
Cada loco con su tema...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos