DIA
Topic Author

Lighting On Airliners Tails

Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:47 am

Does an airline choose whether or not to "light-up" the tails on their airliners? I have noticed sometimes you see the tails lit up:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ville Ripatti

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pekka Lehtinen

and sometimes the tails are not lit up:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Unmuth - Vienna Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner

Anybody have an answer?
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

OPNLguy

RE: Lighting On Airliners Tails

Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:49 am

These are called "logo lights" and they are an equipment "option", so some airlines have them, some don't.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:50 am

On the DC9/MD80/MD90/717, The Logo light is at the end of the wing. It is a little Black Circle in the Daytime, and at night, shines very brightly towards the tail.
Puhdiddle

DIA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:58 am

Thanks for the quick answers.

You say some airlines have them, but some don't. Lufthansa usually has them according to other A.net pics, why doesn't the Airbus pic above have them? Are they just turned off? Is there a seperate "logo light" switch.

Thanks ahead of time, DIA

slawko

Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:02 am

I think they are standard on all aircraft, its up to the airline if they want to turn them on or not...you can imagine with a fleet of 500+ airplanes some airlines chose not to use the Logo light and save a lot of money on new bulbs each year....
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

alexchao

Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:12 am

Oh~ That's interesting. I always thought that some aircraft weren't equipped with logo lights.

I enjoy seeing the logo lights lit up on airliners, especially large aircraft.

-alexchao

AS_GSC

Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:28 am

Not all aircraft have logo lights.

When working on the ramp in SEA at night for AS, if I was waiting for a 737-700/900, I would look for the logo light as they landed. The other aircraft in the fleet were not equipped with them.

Cheers!
AS_GSC

jetskipper

Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:47 am

I fly for a regional carrier in the US. We fly the EMB-145 throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, and starting soon the Bahamas. All of our 145's have logo light the switch is located on the overhead panel near the nav lights, and is purely captains choice whether we do or do not use them.

HlywdCatft

Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:08 am

that also depends on if an airline takes over another airline such as AA with TWA, TWA perhaps could have had lights on their MD-80s but not AA. Now AA could be flying some MD-80s with lights and some not.

jetdoctor

Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:13 am

As mentioned above, logo lights are optional, and not all airlines/aircraft have them. When they are installed there is a separate switch for the logo lights (location varies on aircraft, but usually on the overhead panel).

Most people think of logo lights as a way to advertise, but another reason not mentioned is visibility. Even when you have anti collision lights, nav lights and strobe lights on, you will be suprised how much differance a logo light on the tail can help you be seen in the air, and on the ground.

RT
Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.

Leezyjet

Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:21 am

They are also used to help other pilots/ATC identify the aircraft easier whilst taxiing on the ground at night and in bad weather. When they are told to give way to the VS744, they can look at the tail and easily see that it is a VS744. (that was also one reason why BA dropped the World Tails - as other pilots were getting confused).

There is a seperate switch on the overhead panel to turn the lights on and off.

As far as I'm aware, in the past they were an option that allot of airlines used to pass on, but I think most airlines are adopting them as standard now or are even fitted as standard on some aircraft.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

flyboy7974

Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:43 pm

an option on the airline's part. that is why to anybody watching a SW 737 landing, the only planes that were ordered with the logo lights were the new -700's. reason behind this, when southwest ordered the -700, they originally did not realize with the much larger wing, that at many of their airports, their gates were so tight, that the SW gates could not handle the -700. when a -700 would arrive, it would help ground crew earlier on to see that maybe there was an equipment change and the now-700 instead of maybe the scheduled-300 would require a different gate, thus not allowing them to park where originally planned. first time this happened was when a new -700 arrived into PHX on an aircraft swap, was pulling in, and took out two baggage carts. the carts were parked outside of the painted linesa and legal, but the much larger -700's wing compared to the schedule -300's wing hit the cart. many of the gates in PHX now have red/white signs that say "NO 700" for that reason.

DIA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the input and answers.

Flyboy7974: Very interesting SW story. Welcome to A.net.

Cheers
DIA