Beno
Topic Author

Qantas IFE/Reconfig Update

Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:59 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any further details on which QF aircraft have had the new IFE system installed and which aircraft have gone into 2 class, also which 743s will be the first to be upgraded and when will the complete upgrade proccess be completed (744/743 IFE, 10 744s into 2 class config).

I can confirm that OJJ has had the new system installed and OJB has gone into 2 class config.

Any further details.

Thanks

QANTASpower

RE: Qantas IFE/Reconfig Update

Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:36 pm

From what I understand OJA, OJB (Wunala), OJC (F1), OJD have been converted to 2 class.

Al

Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:16 am

The info I have shows the 74J's are just on half way completed, with 5 (very nearly) of 10 done.
743 conversions scheduled to start mid-March (thru to October) and the two remaining Pac to Kangaroo fleet conversions (OJR / OJU) will be done as the last 3 744er's start operating in the Pac fleet. (anytime now/June/July)
All new IFE/PTV/ISV (call it what you will!) should be completed by April, as there are only 3 or 4 left to do.
733 conversion to all Y has started with 1 back on line and another to join it in the next week. 7 of these will be on line by end of March with all 13 done by July. (From all accounts, the "new" TJA looks quite smart with a complete makeover as well as being all Y).
Once the 744 fleet is sorted by July and with only 2 or 3 743's to go by then, conversion of the J class long haul seats starts.

Beno
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am

AI,

Thanks for the info do have any idea on how the 737-400/800 interior upgrade is progressing and will the 743/763s be getting the new J class seats?

I also understand that OJE is in Auckland going into a 2 class config.

Thanks

Beno
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:26 pm

For those who have not seen the new 744 economy cabin I have found this pic. I also understand that QF will convert some 767s possibly the 200s to all economy.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=28457

Thanks

ZK-NBT

Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:58 pm

Doubt the 762's would be changed would they. I think they are leaving in 2004-2005.

Is OJC still in F1 scheme? I was under the the impression that it wasn't! What on earth is going on is OJB being repainted? I hope not that scheme is 1 of the best ever! How about EBU then? I heard that 1 of the 744ER's will get a special scheme!

Al

Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:25 pm

Heard nothing on the 734/738 refurb's Beno except for an increase in J seat numbers.
Some 76's *are* indeed apparently "planned" for conversion to all Y, but that's come from out of the blue, so not much further known on the details from my sources! If they do have surplus 76's domestically once the 330-300's can enable some international 76's to revert to domestic, I guess there is worse they could do than to convert a few of them to all Y config for mass leisure routes. Could still earn their keep and if it's the mum, dad and kids brigade on a cheapie break, they don't need to be ultra glam. The now tired 762's would probably fit that role very ably.

OJC was seen a couple of days ago in MEL in it's old special livery, so not sure if it's planned to be repainted or not, or where the idea has come from that it is repainted. The 4th of 6 744ER's is in Avalon getting pre service touch ups in a standard livery so only 2 left if there is another special livery (doubtful IMHO). If anything, I would have thought that one of the "new" 74J's would get a special paint job so it's seen in those ports not served by Wunala. Will be interesting to see what happens to Nalanji when she goes in for refurb.
At least one 330-300 will be delivered in domestic configuration, and the other 8 330-300's configuration is still unknown.
NLH goes home for good at end of March.
Apparently EBV headed to Avalon last night from SYD, so not sure if 743 refurb is starting a month early or if it was for some other reason.
Never rains but pours - no feeds or tidbits from sources for weeks, then whammo !!
Cheers.

Beno
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:32 am

Thanks for all your replies.

melflyer

Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:47 am

AI,

Just to confirm that the 4th 744ER has left AVV headed for SYD to start service. I saw it during the airshow and it looked wonderful.

Cheers

MELflyer

qantas744

Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:07 pm

Here is where the VH-OJC rumours have come from.....

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?84856

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

Al

Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm

Thanx for that MELFlyer and Qantas744. Wonder if it was a typo on the header of the picture. It's clearly OJE on the rego. (Mind you - top shot no matter if it is incorrectly titled!!)
Cheers.

rupertvander82

Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:34 pm

The seats in the Economy class looks very cramped, eh? And the colour of the seat covers' so dull!

austraveller

Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:32 pm

I flew between MEL and LHR on Christmas day and was in first class - so at least on the 25th of December it was still 3 class.

They even gave me a nice chocolate christmas present  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Beno
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:13 am

I think all London flights will remain as a 3 class operation.

austraveller

Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:47 am

Sorry what I meant to say was that it was the F1 plane and it had 3 class config (well at almost 2 months ago it did)

Beno
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:21 am

I am almost positive OJC is now in 2 class config because it seems to operate QF5/6 alot which is a 2 class sector.

VH-BZF

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:56 am

My source in Qantas told me that only the B737-800 Yananyi Dreaming would remain with a special paint scheme. With Wunala, Nalanji & F1 B747-400's being repainted into their original paint schemes, ie as the rest of the fleet. Apparently the FIA have cracked the sads with Qantas over the F1 livery with one of their apparent sore points being the 'OneWorld' logo being too close to the F1 logo or something like that.............amazing considering it has been like that for 3 years & they have never said anything previously!

Get this though...................a brand new livery will be unveiled for Qantas on the A380-800's. So watcth out in 2006 a brand new image for Qantas!

Cheers - BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

miami1

Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:47 am

Beno-
That may be the case but they are also operating some a/c as 'cosmetic' two class. Meaning that P class is actually there but it's used as J. This is until the refurbs are complete...

Marara

Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:27 pm

Some magazines have said that one of the new 74ERs will carry a new special livery to replace OJB
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

VirginFlyer

Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:54 pm

Following up on Marara, I have heard from various people that one of the 747-400ERs will be delivered in Wunala Dreaming colours (though there are only two left to be delivered, so we will soon see how true that is). It would be cool, although unlikely, if the remaining 744ERs came in Wunala and Nalanji colours!

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

QANTASforever

Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:55 pm

VH-BZF:
Get this though...................a brand new livery will be unveiled for Qantas on the A380-800's. So watcth out in 2006 a brand new image for Qantas!

Whoa. Talk about a bombshell.

- Where did you hear this?

- Will this be new special sceme or something new for the whole fleet?

Regards,

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Marara

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:22 pm

QFF this has been around for a while if u check the right places. Good timing as well 'cause the QF livery looks weird on the 380 makes it look really stubby. At the same time look for a 'revised' SQ livery to coincide with the 380 launch
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

BNE

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:53 pm

It seems like Qantas is segmenting it market.
They have 3 class for all of the high profile international routes, eg SYD-LAX, and 2 class service for the secondary routes, BNE-AKL-LAX,
It looks like the same is happening internally, If all the 737-300 go to single class they will most likely end up on the leisure routes. SYD-OOL, and the 737-800 would do all the major routes eg BNE-MEL. I was surprised to see that a 737-800 now was 12 seats in J compared to the previous 8.

If these kind of changes wouldn't it make scheduling more difficult if an aircraft goes unservicable.

Is there 3 types of 747-400 configurations. Pacific, Kangaroo and 2 class 747J or are there two types of 2 class configurations.

Haven't yet tried the International IFE, so looking forward to that.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

TSV

Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:38 pm

"Get this though...................a brand new livery will be unveiled for Qantas on the A380-800's. So watcth out in 2006 a brand new image for Qantas!"

Well given that the A380 was once described as an A340 on top of a 747 I would guess that the livery change will be limited to two lots of "Qantas Spirit of Australia" titles on each side (ie one for each deck) and another roo on top of (or an alternative phrase depending on your imagination and nationality) the existing one on the tail!
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

Al

Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:38 am

It looks like the same is happening internally, If all the 737-300 go to single class they will most likely end up on the leisure routes. SYD-OOL, and the 737-800 would do all the major routes eg BNE-MEL.

While the main target for the 733's are so called leisure routes, the list of ports/routes getting them do include some traditional J class ports, so it will be interesting to see how that pans out in the scheme of things.
It seems to me that the citiflyer branding will link mainline ports/routes only and/or will be a premium product with upgraded meals and the such. The other routes will become more of a "regional" style - boxed grub (if any) and decreased service levels operating leisure.
Also seems to me like distinct branding is gradually coming to the fore, so that you know instantly what you are booking/getting:
International Premium (3 class)
International (2 class long haul and regional Asia/Pac)
Citiflyer (Premium domestic - routes &/or timings)
"QFLink" (Leisure domestic - routes &/or timings)
RegionalLink (Minor Ports and feeders).
Of course if you're looking at a route that has Citiflyer and QFLink operated flights, you'd go for the Citiflyer to get the free beer !!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I was surprised to see that a 737-800 now was 12 seats in J compared to the previous 8.

734 and 73H are going to 20 J seats when they get refurb'd is the oil I have. Probably to take up the slack on
jointly used 733/734-H routes.

Is there 3 types of 747-400 configurations. Pacific, Kangaroo and 2 class 747J or are there two types of 2 class configurations.

You got it dood !! Three 744 subfleets. K, P and J. Only 1 config of the 2 class 744.

Cheers.

thadocta

Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:55 pm

Just as far as the IFE goes, I flew on VH-OED - an "ugly sister" - from BNE to SYD last Saturday (22/2) and it had not been reconfigured - those PTV's in J were all of a sudden extremely tiny when you have become used to the new ones.

Dave

[Edited 2003-02-24 06:58:37]

tsentsan

Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:46 pm

Hi all,

Regarding OJB and OJC.

OJB is in AVV now getting repainted.
OJC yesterday operated empty to the US to be repainted into normal livery.

One of the ERs either OEI/OEJ are rumoured to be painted in Rugby World Cup colours.

Tsentsan
NO URLS in signature

QANTASforever

Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:52 pm

OJB is in AVV now getting repainted.

Oh S***. I'm nervous now. Surely QANTAS would not destroy one of (if not the) world's greatest aircraft liveries of all time?!?!?

A very worried,

QANTASFOREVER

VirginFlyer

Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:25 pm

Tsentsan - another variation on that rumour is that OJC will be getting the World Cup livery, and OEI or OEJ will be getting the Wunala scheme. Of course, I don't know how much truth there is to it, could well just be over active speculation.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Al

Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:44 pm

Surely QANTAS would not destroy one of (if not the) world's greatest aircraft liveries of all time?!?!?

You're kidding, right? Wunula is a shocker. Hideous ugly thing - one of the worst liveries to grace the skies. Different at the very start, but *very* quickly lost appeal. Then again, that's the beauty of independant and free thinking - we all see things differently. Nalanji is okay, Yanyani more so. Back to Wunala, she's been around for a long time now, and with the now limited networks for the 2 and 3 class 744's, I guess it's time to retire her colours - *if* she is in AVV being stripped clean.

OJC yesterday operated empty to the US to be repainted into normal livery.

One of the ERs either OEI/OEJ are rumoured to be painted in Rugby World Cup colours.

Tsentsan, are you positive on OJC ? I've been getting "World Cup" livery on her confirmed from various people all day - although none of them can "prove" it.
I also don't think one of the 744ER's would go to that livery when the only route for them is LAX - hardly a Rugby heartland and the message would be lost - totally!
Not to forget that the cup starts barely 3 months after the first of the last 2 is delivered.
IMHO of course.

Cheers.

QANTASforever

Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:32 pm

You're kidding, right? Wunula is a shocker. Hideous ugly thing - one of the worst liveries to grace the skies.

Ok AI, I disagree but I accept your point of view. Big grin

I also don't think one of the 744ER's would go to that livery when the only route for them is LAX - hardly a Rugby heartland and the message would be lost - totally!

Maybe they are trying to spread the message to the American public?

=================================================

Aside from this, this is what I have gathered from the forums so far (indeed correct me if you have information otherwise):

* VH-OJC will be painted into a rugby world cup scheme (Am I smelling stickers?)

* VH-OJB will be painted into something new or just the plain old colourscheme

* Yananyi will stay as it is.

* Either VH-OEI or -OEJ will get a new indigenous scheme or be graced with the wunala colours.

The thing I don't understand about all this is: Why would they remove the sceme from Wunala yet leave Nulanji as it is? I'd always assumed that the opposite was more likely to happen in the not too distant future.

Please, anyone who can clarify my info - please do so.

QANTASFOREVER

TSV

Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:39 pm

Al where did you get your info on the 733s, 734s, and 73Hs?

"733 conversion to all Y has started with 1 back on line and another to join it in the next week. 7 of these will be on line by end of March with all 13 done by July."

I was under the impression there is only going to be 5 converted and that it is still undecided whether they will eventually be operated under the QantasLink banner.

"734 and 73H are going to 20 J seats when they get refurb'd is the oil I have. Probably to take up the slack on jointly used 733/734-H routes."

12 is what I have been told on the 73H. Don't know what the situation is on the 734s but I would have though that they would be the least of their worries at the moment as rows 3 to whatever are convertable which gives them a lot of flexibility.

Al

Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:50 am

Info on the 733's came from QF themselves, in response to a question on why future confirmed J class trips were coming back as sked changed into Y class.
The 734's going to 20 seats is from a "2nd tier - direct report to GD" manager in a memo a cabin crew mate had. The flexibility seems to be going as the new refurb appears to have a set config for each type.

FWIW, this is the QF response to the 733 question:

The Qantas 737-300 fleet is progressively being converted to 1 class service. The first aircraft (TJA) commenced flying in it's new configuration in late January and another will join it in February. Progressively then another 5 will be done throughout March with the rest to be completed by the end of July.
As the number of them coming back on line increase, we have now been advised of the routes they are flying, and we are able to notify customers of the changes occuring. We have been advised by our network people the all economy 737-300 configuration will be used on the following routes -
Perth - Karratha, Broome, Kalgoorlie
Cairns - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
Hamilton Island - Sydney, Melbourne
Coolangatta - Sydney, Melbourne
Townsville - Brisbane
Alice Springs - Darwin, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne
Uluru (Ayers Rock) - Sydney, Cairns.

(Yada yada yada and so forth). Still waiting for clarification if all services on those pairings are affected or if it's just most of them with a morning and evening peak J operated craft being kept in the timetable. Looking at the list above, I'd say ASP & AYQ has lost all J service, apart from the trans-con PER-CNS BaE146's.

I guess your mentioned QFLink plan may have been dropped now that QF have also confirmed some 767-300's will also be converted into all Y configuration. I've mentioned it before, but it seems to me a deliberate fragmentation is occurring in domestic (like Intnat'l) where citiflyer will be the premium domestic product with J cabins and upgraded meals and service, operating only the mainline and trunk route pairings. These 733 and 763 all Y subfleets will become more of a QFLink product with minimal food (the "Box", if any) linking non trunk pairings and operating on leisure routes.
I'm also getting the sense that Virgin Blue is *the* driving force behind these changes, given their overall 30% share and up to low 40's share on some direct competition routes. I get the feeling the changes to the PER citiflyer service product was a direct result of losing a good slice of corporates to the Blue on those routes, and is one way of trying to win them back.

All that is some supposition on my part, of course, based on the facts coming straight from QF itself.

Cheers.

TSV

Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info Al.

What this means to me is that if I see "733" on the booking options I will steer clear of it and chose one of the other options if the time is still convenient and even if it costs a bit more (which is what they probably want anyway).

With regards to the 767-300s being reconfigured; are they going to be operated by Qantas themselves or are these the ones earmarked for Australian Airlines?

Al

Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:31 am

With regards to the 767-300s being reconfigured; are they going to be operated by Qantas themselves or are these the ones earmarked for Australian Airlines?

Mainline - GD certainly intimated that when he announced it in one of the post financial statement report interviews. The AO ones are something different AFAIK.
As far as booking away from 733's, don't think there will be all that much option on many of the routes/pairings. From all accounts, the refurb'd ones back on line look and feel quite good.

Beno
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:29 am

So if all 733s are going to be all economy what happens to the international routes that the 733 currently flies i.e New Zealand, Bali, Pacific Islands.

Thanks

Marara

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:12 am

Bali is more of a leisure route that will suit the 733s well, same goes for the Pacific Islands. Not sure about other current 733 routes. If J class is needed on these routes we will prob see 734s or 73Hs take them on in the not to distant future.

QANTASpower

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:40 am

Does anybody know how many 744's are still without the new IFE. Should only be 2 or 3 now.

Beno
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:39 pm

I think its just the older GE 744s I think OEB,OED don't have them but I think OEC does.

Beno
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:42 am

Just an update on the latest info I have all 744s will be completed by the 31st of March (Same day VH-NLH goes back to BA). And the first 743 VH-EBV is currently undergoing the complete refurb in Avalon, all 743s will be done by September.

Hope this helps

qantas744

Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:18 pm

I hate to break the bad news to some of you guys but I saw VH-OJC in Sydney this morning (13/3) wearing the same livery as the 747-400ERs. Looked like it was being prepped for a trip to FRA or LHR, I was flying out of gate 36 and it was parked opposite at what I presume was gate 35 but had no flight details assigned on the monitor in the lounge area.

I saw OJB still in Wunula colours on Tuesday but packed up my photography gear about 10 minutes before she left the gate for her final flight in that livery (I got my schedules mixed up and thought she was going out in the evening when the rain was forecast)-I hope I never make such a bad error of judgement ever again!

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

qantas747

Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:02 pm

How and where do you people find this stuff out! And I think it is a great shame to lose Wunala Colour scheme..... although I prefer the Nalangi colour scheme because it just feels cooler... I think the paint schemes are all QANTAS Icons and should stay. And I am awaiting the supposed new livery on the 380's and also the possible new aboriginal scheme on one of the 744ER's . The rugby world cup scheme will probably be on one or 2 of BA's 744's as well..