Will Y2k Hurt Air Travel?

Thu Nov 18, 1999 5:54 pm

Will y2k make any problems for pilots and air travel?
especially in 3rd world countries?
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!
Matt D

RE: Will Y2k Hurt Air Travel?

Wed Nov 24, 1999 7:53 am

First of all, anyone that says they KNOW what will or won't happen come 01/01/00, is a damn liar. Period. NOBODY knows for sure. Anyway, with that in mind, let me put in my 2 cents. First, regarding the US. I've heard that the US ATC system is 100 Y2K compliant, so it shouldn't be a problem. That's what I heard anyway. But the reality is, who in their right mind is going to WANT to be on a plane come midnight 12/31/99 anyway? Wouldn't you rather be on the ground somewhere enjoying a once in many lifetimes milennium party? I know I will be...
As for other countries, well, it's anybody's guess. I don't imagine it will be a major problem with countries such as Great Britain, Germany, Japan, France, etc. Awareness of the problem has been high over the last 2-3 years, and I'm sure that some efforts to fix the problem have been made. As for countries like China, the former USSR, Zaire, Sudan, etc. Well, many of those countries are in such turmoil, they're more worried about how they're going to eat next week-provided they live that long, than to worry about Y2K, which up until now, was along range problem that may or may not happen. Unfortunately, I don't think that they have made many (if any) preparations for it. So, just to be on the safe side, I'd avoid "third world" airlines at least until the second or third quarter of '00. Any problems that may happen will be evident by then.

FAA Center Control

Wed Nov 24, 1999 9:57 am

I don't think that the FAA has tested nor upgraded the centers. I could be wrong here, but I have heard no news of this.

The only news I've heard regarding aviation Y2K complience came from a 777 and Denver International Airport (of which they only tested arrivals and departures).

- Neil Harrison