FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

Where Is The One & Only 728?

Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:03 pm

Hi folks...
Got my February issue of Airline Review magazine today...had an interesting article on the stillborn FD 728 in it. My question is where's the prototype 728 now? Did the aircraft ever make it first flight yet? Some answers to these questions were left out in the article, in addition to how many were on the assembly line before FD shut down. All replies appreciated. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

hias

RE: Where Is The One & Only 728?

Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:43 pm

Hi there,

if I remeber right, the 728 prototype is still stored at Oberpfaffenhofen as this type hasn't had its first flight and will probably never make it in the skies. Another 728 was on the production line, but wasn't finished when they went bankrupt.

Sad to see such a superb aircraft resting on the ground and no investor in sight...

Hope that helps

Mathias
www.spotter.de.vu
mathias.henig@gmx.de

FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:12 pm

Thanks for your reply, Mathias...hopefully the one prototype can be spared from the scrapper's torch. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

Greg

Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:48 am

There were six airframes in various stages of construction.

Having production continue now is extremely complicated owing to the airframe and design belonging to one company (Dornier receivers) and the manufacturing plant belong to another (RUAG of Switzerland).

Will it fly? Who knows. There are some that remain hopeful that the market won't be left entirely to Embraer.

backfire

Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:52 am

There are some that remain hopeful that the market won't be left entirely to Embraer.

Yup. Bombardier for a start...

backfire

Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:54 am

Last time I was at Oberpfaffenhofen, I had the chance to fly the 728 simulator used to test the flight controls. I reckon having a few minutes of "flight" time at the 728's controls is going to be a claim to fame before long...

Greg

Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:14 am

Backfire...
Unfortunately for Bombardier, many do not consider the -700/-900 as being in the same league as the former FD or current Embraer offerings (although they do have a distinct advantage in cheaper landing fees because of their weight).

I know that both QF/BA and Star Alliance have specifically told them that the -900 is not an alternative when considering a true 90/100 seater.

Losing a few key sales will likely motivate them to revive the BRJ-X (is that it's name?).

Their failure to absorb the 728/928 program in my opinion was a huge blunder.

TechRep

Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:27 am

Greg,

I wrote the article about the Do728 for Airline Review but was ask to keep it to 3500 words. The original text included a discussion about the four production frames and two test frames. I decided to omit the discussion, instead targeting the project and company as a whole.

Now that you mentioned this oversight I wish I could have included the information you mentioned.

Frame 0001 was no where near first flight and some major production required rework. The pylons were clocked/angled incorrectly and complete rework was needed to reach proper alignment. The aircraft was a shell inside, needed extensive pneumatic/hydraulic plumbing installed and most notably very overweight.

Backfire,

You are referring to the "Iron Bird" which hardly seems a simulator per say but a treat non the less. The Iron Bird was used to test the FBW and interface controls (flight controls).

The future of the 728 will depend greatly upon the market and production location. Once the market improves someone may step in a restart production but not in OP. I stand firm the 728 will not be built in OP but instead sold to another party later. I think RUAG is nesting the project till a later date to be sold when advantageous. The only possibility is state pressure to save the project to save face.

EADS made it clear they were looking to expand deeper into OP but were blocked from expansion by the community. I have no idea the intention of RUAG but I can speculate they have intentions to expand business relations with EADS.

At this point all vested parties, M7, Avcraft and RUAG are keeping a tight lip about the future. Who knows the future of the 728 but until this market improves it's in a coma.

TechRep

Greg

Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:36 pm

I'm actually completely surprised that the Japanese and/or Koreans have not bid on the program. It would be a drop in the bucket for any of their heavy industries to spend the $1.4B.

Realizing there are bigger issues with Korea...the diversity of Hyundai is exceptional--it would likely be a decent match.

There IS a market for this aircraft. And I remain hopeful progress is made within the next six months...

TR...thanks for your update. Much of what I quote to others outside the forum is because of your knowledge of FD....