Your Opinions About Airline Review Magazine

Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:33 am

Hello,

Now that everyone has hopefully received their copy of Airline Review what do you think of it? I've got the January and February issues of the magazine and I think they are pretty good. The January issue had noticeable spelling mistakes such as "Quantas", but the ATA and Qantas article's were well written and the photos are second to none. The February issue is a big improvement with better paper, not as many spelling errors and the great Ryanair and A380 articles. Im looking forward to reading the magazine in the future, Big thumbs up Airline Review Big thumbs up.

Regards
EAC_732

AUS_Spotter

RE: Your Opinions About Airline Review Magazine

Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:26 am

Hmph..... I still haven't got my issues. Time to send email again I guess.

Jason

gr8slvrflt

Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:28 am

I find the editing and writing to be quite abysmal. Sad
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

clickhappy

Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:39 am

I think it sucks.

They cut and paste a lot of press releases fore their "news" section, and it doesn't make any sense in the context used.

A made up example would be "Today XYZ Airways announced new service to SEA..."

Well, when is "today" when you are reading something published monthly.

IMO they rushed to market, with a half-baked product.

fpdonald

Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:57 am

My subjective opinion . . . "not worthy of my subscription dollars yet, but I wish it well. I'm very thankful for the two complimentary issues."

TriStar500

Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:04 am

Admittably, a printed magazine cannot deliver up-to-date news like the internet can provide, so I am prepared to make some compromises concerning the news section of a magazine.
Airline Review's news however, are totally outdated and do not deliver any interesting extra info, which wouldn't be otherwise available on the net. Airlinerworld, in comparison, delivers an interesting news section with info pieces I haven't read on the internet before plus some in-depth details about news already known from the net.

The articles in Airline Review only scratch the surface IMO, both Airlinerworld and Airways beat them by far. Plus, the writing is definitely not up to par to - e.g. - Airways, which is a high-quaility paper with interesting features, articles and essays.

My personal verdict: I will probably try Airline Review again when it has "matured" a bit, but as it is now, I will not spend my money on a sbscription or a single issue.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Sabena332

Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:14 am

I received the January issue but I am not satisfied with it. Since I read the spelling mistake "Quantas" in this magazine, I am really asking myself how serious they investigate the background of their articles.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

CactusA319

Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:25 am

The news section of the magazine leaves much to be desired. There really isn't anything there that hasn't already been anounced, for instance a superficial article on the United bankruptcy in the FEBRUARY issue, when this item was already two months old. No further insight is offered into the subject. Also many of the pictures provided with the articles don't even match what the text is talking about.

The editing is just plain horrible. I mean every magazine gets published with a few errors here and there (usually factual errors) but when you produce something with as many spelling and grammar mistakes as this magazine, it makes you wonder who exactly is greenlighting the project. The fact that there are already a number of magazines on the market that cater to this subject makes it mandatory to come out with a polished product in order to survive. Unfortunately, Airline Review has too many rough edges to warrant paying the $40 subscription fee.

Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:08 am

Hello,

Thanks for your comments, I also prefer Airliner World but I didn't think the articles were that bad.

Regards
EAC_732

brett80211

Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:11 am

I think it's a pretty good magazine. The only thing I dont like is when they talk about the length of something they only use meters. Come on....I'm American I only know how to read Feet and inches.-Brett

USAFHummer

Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:01 am

1 meter=3.2808 ft.

Still waiting for my issues...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

CcrlR

Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:02 am

My subjective opinion . . . "not worthy of my subscription dollars yet, but I wish it well

Yeah me too. I think it needs some improvement and some people I let them look at it say they need to improve it. Some of the info in the Jan and Feb were off a little and what you all said about the different pictures not going with the articles is kinda bad. If they could they should have had Boeing's and Airbus' pictures for media and used them in the magazine. They need to improve it a little... no a little bit more!
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

The Shadow

Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:30 am

Both issues: News = Terrible, not worth reading. Even if AW news is sometimes outdated, it is nonetheless worth reading.

January:

B777 - Abysmal, poor quality, like Boeing PR....
ATA - Rather good and well written
DFW - Outdated by several years
Qantas - Worst article ever
Techonology - Average
Cargo - Excellent
Industy Turmoil - Excellent

February:

Ryanair - Enjoyable though some mistakes.
A380 - Average and some mistakes.
Dornier - Excellent 10/10, very unique
Geneve - Good airport review
Connection - Abysmal, another piece of Boeing PR? Same writer as the B777 article, I presume.
Air France - Very dry but many facts.

Will read it at the news-stand, if they have it.

TS

The Shadow

Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:36 am

I forgot to say. Competition is always good so perhaps when my AW subscription ceases, and IF Airline Review improves enough, I might reconsider the issue.

TS

DeltaMD11

Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:36 am

If you go back through the forum topics, you will find my thread regarding the February issue, and not only my full qualms with the magazine, but other peoples findings as well. I realize that this magazine is brand new, and it will take some time to get the kinks worked out. I think they have a great staff, and have the capability to turn it into one of the best magazines out there. As stated before, I do not feel that it is worth my money yet, but am willing to hang in with them and see if things improve (which I have been assured that they will). As with anything, the staff is just getting broken in and there is a lot to be desired. In the end, I think things will work out in Airline Reviews' favor (or at least I hope).

Bryan
Chat Operator Delta767
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Lindy

Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:53 am

Still waiting for my issues.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

mirrodie

Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:59 am

got the Feb edition yesterday and it is improving. most fine wines age well with the appropriate time.

SO we'll have to wait and see if we get a nice red wine or VINeGAR. Only time will tell.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Squigee

Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:59 am

From a purely design point of view- the layout is great. For a website. WAY to much wasted space with nothing except colourful geometric shapes filling it. As well, two page article covers where nothing is displayed except for a large photo and a title are extremely wasteful. As well, they need a team of better writers and proofreaders. This magazine still has a lot of work before it can make it.

Even then I'm doubtful, because we're so flooded with Aviation related magazines... it's a tough market to make it in.

I can tell you one thing- I'm glad my money is not invested in the success of this venture.
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

The Shadow

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:16 am

Squigee, I wholly agree with your points about the design but question the "flooded with aviation related magazines". Speaking from a UK point of view, we only have Airliner World, Airways and Airliners. I omit other publications such as Air International which also deal with military/space issues and the professional magazines which the enthusiast usually would not read. Have you got many others in Canada?

Competition is always good, even bad competition.

TS

The Shadow

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:27 am

Have a question. have many aviation magazines in the past tried and failed? I remember that the people who do AW tried a civil/space/military magazine for kids but it dissapeared after 2-3 issues.

gigneil

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:35 am

I found the articles in both issues biased and largely inaccurate, especially the A380 article. Many of the articles rambled and were not very professionally written in terms of structure.

I also can't respect a publication that writes "Quantas" in their copy.

I did enjoy reviewing it however.

N

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:44 am

Still waiting for promised January and February issues down my way. I have to snicker a little bit at this from their website

AIRLINE REVIEW, the preferred magazine of the commercial airline industry

How can something be preferred when they are only into their 2nd edition, and from what I can tell the majority of people are still waiting for their January copy (lets not even mention the February edition).

Seems very pretentious on their part.

I am to understand that international copies were sent via seamail? I guess that sometime in April (2004!!) I might get the January 2003 issue to peruse.

Squigee

Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:04 am

The_Shadow:

"we only have Airliner World, Airways and Airliners"

Don't forget the countless magazines targeted at GA pilots, corporate pilots, ATCs, FBOs, etc...

For a relativly small market (There aren't that many aviation enthusiasts in the world) that's quite a few magazines, in my opinion.

However, it's a free (market) society, so if they want to sink their money into this endeavor, more power to them. I don't hold out much hope for their success, however.
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

The Shadow

Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:14 am

"es targeted at GA pilots, corporate pilots, ATCs, FBOs, etc..."

Sure but again those are based at proffesionals, not the enthusiast. Regarding numbers of aviation enthusiasts, I think you'd be surprised at the figure. AirlinerWorld prints over 45,000 issues monthly.

TS

AFC_Ajax00

Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:28 am

I agree with most of the above stated, all relatively minor things that hopefully will be ironed out in later issues.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:42 am

Ah yes but Squigee you forgot that there is another magazine with the quality and classic design called Skyliner. http://www.skyliner-aviation.de The magazine is done by a friend of mined named Chris Witt and is written in both german and english. I highly recommend this magazine and since I have never recieved a copy of Airline Review, I won't comment on it.

Stephen

jmc757

Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:26 am

I haven't got my free issue yet! Anyone else in the UK still waiting. I probably won't be rushing to subscribe anyway, I read AW from day one, it started with great qualoty and articles and continues to provide them. Although i would be interested to see Airline Review.
I just hope a copy (any copy Jan or Feb, don't care if its free!) finds its way to my doorstep soon.

jmc757  Big thumbs up

srbmod

Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:34 am

They still have a link for a "free issue", but if you click it, a page pops up saying that free issues are no longer available.

bigphilnyc

Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:28 am

IU didn't read EVERY post in this thread, but I had a chance to look it over the other day.

I saw a lot of anet photos and NOT a lot of credit given to the photographers.

Did they ask permission to use the pictures form everyone?

I saw an ATA 7378 pic taken by Chris Coduto, and I saw his name mentioned NOWEHRE in the credits.

I wonder if he knows.

Also, how can one get a free issue? lol. I want one!
Phil Derner Jr.