APP
Topic Author

Nominations For Worst Aviation Movie Ever..

Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:23 am

This could even be a good topic for a poll for Johan. Anyway the earlier topic about aviation movies got me thinking. What does everybody rate as the worst aviation movie ever made.
I think my nominiation probably goes to 'Turbulence 3 - Heavy Metal'. If anybody hasn't seen it and you get the chance to see it....DON'T!!!
Anybody else got anything worse to nominate?
APP.

EGGD

RE: Nominations For Worst Aviation Movie Ever..

Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:31 am

Yes, turbulence 3 is terrible (and an insult to heavy metal  Laugh out loud). Also, a film that was doing the rounds on sky moviemax recently, I can't remember its name... Ended with an emergency landing in Iceland. Also, many things happened (on the takeoff roll, they showed 4 different aircraft, at 4 different times of day  Laugh out loud), there was a decompression, uhhh a criminal on board who was going to hijack the plane, then started flying it to save people, then sacrificed himself to save the plane.

Terrible, utterly terrible.

Airport 75 gets bad reviews too  Laugh out loud

APP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:35 am

Ooh that sounds bad. If you think of the name let me know, It sounds so dire it may be entertaining!  Wow!
APP.

thomasphoto60

Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:26 am

The king of all stinkers imo, would have to be 'Concorde' Airport '79'. A true dog!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

fanofjets

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:05 am

The king of stinkeroos has to be SST: Death Flight, a made-for-TV star-studded extravaganza that, according to one reviewer, made Airport '79 a much better film. Check it out here:
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0076650

Airplane was my favorite; the original Airport and definitely deserve honorable mention.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

aa61hvy

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:09 am

I saw a movie about a bomb on a plane, going from SYD-LAX. The airline was Oceanic. It was a 747-200 exterior and 400 cockpit. Good looking first officer. It was on USA, but I think I saw it on lifetime....
Go big or go home

txagkuwait

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:17 am

One of my favorites, and not really a bad movie.....but one with the most outrageous special effects would have to be "The Crowded Sky." As i recall it was released in 1957.

Basic plot was a DC7 on a transcon collides with USAF jet and makes an emergency landing at Dyess AFB, Abilene, TX.

It starred Dana Andrews, Robert Stack, Rhonda Fleming, and Troy Donahue.

The emergency landing scene in Abilene with the mountains (?) in the background....on a foamed runway.....using what was pretty obviously a plastic model skidding on to a sidewalk covered with shaving cream had to be seen to be believed.

Jimmy Stewart in "Fate Is The Hunter" was a semi-stinker, though, even though I usually like Jimmy Stweart films. At least it wasn't quite as obsequious as the 137th time you see "It's A Wonderful Life."

thomasphoto60

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:18 am

Fanofjets,

You and I are like mind. As I was typing up my post, I was raking my brain for the name of this real bow wow. Indeed, SST Death Flight makes Airport 79 look a Cannes Film Festival winner. I remember one reviewer calling this the 'Plan 9 'of aviation/diaster flicks.

There was another dog made in the mid 80s (also an ABC made for TV flick) that delt with a 'space plane' that became stuck in a low earth orbit and the passangers were rescued via the Space Shuttle. I can not recall the name however.

Thomas

"Show me the Braniffs"

flpuck6

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:21 am

I concur with "Turbulence", all three of 'em lol.
Bonjour Chef!

gr8slvrflt

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:40 am

The Airport movie where the 747 full of stars and jewels sank to the sea floor.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

fanofjets

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:47 am

Thanks, Thomas. I do agree that Airport '79 was baaaaaaaaad (in the sense of John Dillenger, not Michael Jackson).

The film in which the 747 sank to the ocean floor was Airport '77, which was baaad (he said sheepishly).

I noticed an error in my first post: I meant to say, "The original Airport and Skyjacked definitely deserve honorable mention."
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AA7771stClass

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:56 am

AA61Hvy-
I think you're thinking of Executive Decision. It was an Oceanic flight from Athens to IAD with terrorists on board, but by some amazing feat the Navy Seals saved the day. It's actually I think the best movie on here thus far...

kjet12

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:59 am

Panic In The Skies. By far the worst aviation movie I have ever seen. The plane gets hit by lightning and of course all hell breaks loose. For more info, check out http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/movie-panic.html

Kris
FLY THE FRIENDLY SKIES
AA - Doing what we do best.

timf

Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:44 pm

I can remember seeing the film AA61Hvy is talking about. It is different than Executive Decision, but as it was a made for TV movie, the low budget meant they re-used some of the exterior shots originally filmed for Executive Decision. I've seen those shots used in a couple other movies (Panic In The Skies was one), but in some cases they superimposed a different name over Oceanic since they didn't want to call the airline that.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:54 pm

Any of the "action" movies with an aicraft as the setting are truly horrible to any aviation fan. Also any of the "Airport" movies other than the original were bad.

Other than that, I can't think of an aviation movie that was not a sequel or an "action" movie that is really bad. Dramatized yes, but not really absurd.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Ilyushin96M

Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:58 pm

Very few people will know what I'm talking about, unless you're from the former Soviet Union. There was a film made back in the late '70s or early '80s about a group of people taking off in a Tupolev TU-154 during a volcanic eruption. The take-off scene actually shows two different aircraft taking off at different times - the first one crashes, but the TU-154 makes it, barely, after rolling over a large crack in the runway which damages the rear fuselage. The catch in the take-off scenes - the planes used aren't even real, and you can see the toy wheels underneath them. Remember those toy PanAm 747, Continental DC-10s, etc. with wind-up wheels in boxes under them? Well, that's what was used in this film!

To make matters worse, while the TU-154 is airborne, the damage in the rear fuselage propagates into a crack which the crew tries to repair - by climbing through a hole in the ceiling of the rear cabin INTO THE CENTRE ENGINE DUCT AND OUT ONTO THE FUSELAGE THROUGH THE INTAKE to try to repair the crack with a blowtorch!!! Totally unrealistic. One of the crew members ends up severly frost-bitten and in danger of dying from his out-of-aircraft experience.

As the plane is descending, the rear fuselage begins to separate, and when it finally lands, the entire tail falls off onto the runway, bursting into flames. However, no one on the aircraft is killed, so it's a happy ending. But seriously, it's the worst aviation movie I've EVER seen.

Ilyushin96M

Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:03 pm

Oh, hell...all that typing, and I forgot to say the movie was called Экипаж (Equipage), or Flight Crew.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:04 pm

Oh yeah, that's truly bad. Falls well into the "action" genre I think.

Is it perchance on video somewhere?  Laugh out loud
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

MxCtrlr

Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:22 pm

How about "Passenger 57" with Wesley Snipes? For an airport that didn't have the facilities to handle an L1011, they sure seemed to come up with passenger stairs, not once, but twice! Also, I never knew, once you got into the main landing gear area (and this happens in almost EVERY aviation movie), you have access to the entire aircraft with no obstacles (other than the bad guys, of course!)  Smile

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

mirrodie

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:27 am

well, I saw Fligth of the Phoenix and I was impressed with it.

While tooling around on the computer last night, I came across the most comprehensive list of AVIATION movies I have ever seen. Caveat: They are disaster aviation movies and MOST aviation movies revolve around disaster anyway.

http://disasteronline.tripod.com/adm.html

What do you think?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

srbmod

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:34 am

I know it's more of an action film in which aviation has a role in the plot, but Delta Force with Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin. Movie is loosely (and I use the term liberally) based on the TWA hijacking back in '85. Pretty bad movie, but the action scenes in which Chuck Norris blows up terrorists is still pretty cool, but not good enough to make up for the stinker that is this movie.

clrd2go

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:14 am

SST: Disaster In the Sky..with Robert Reed and a nonmemorable cast of
several. What I remember most of this movie was a cockpit the size
of a hotel room, and a "SST" parked at a gate that was quite obviously
a 707 with a "concorde-like" nose built on the front. It was horrible.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:50 am

I would have to nominate that disco era movie Airplane for the title. The sheer stupidity of the movie made it more of a JOKE than a film even worth considering seeing!

dc-10 levo

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:58 am

Got to agree with you there about Turbulence 3 - Heavy metal. Also, there was really rubbish film with Wesley Snipes in, but I forgot what it was called.

DC-10

CPH-R

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:05 am

AA61Hvy

I saw that one too, the usual 747 classic with a 744 cockpit on a 14-15 flight without any relief crew. The actor that played the FO used to be in Beverly Hills 90210 in one of the early seasons.

thomasphoto60

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:11 am

CO 757 200,

That was the whole point of 'Airplane'. Most airline/airport personel that I know absouletly love this flick and rate it very highly for it's satire and stupidity and it's parody of the diaster genre flicks of the era. It is definetly part of my video library.

Clrd2gc,

I belive this flick also went by 'SST..Death Flight' and indeed it should be nominated as one of if not the worst aviation movie to date.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

clrd2go

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:27 am

I believe SST: Death Flight was a different movie (if I read the website
on the link several posts above correctly). I saw that one too, and it
was equally horrible.

Jim

LAXFlyer

RE: TxAgKuwait

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:29 am

You sure you don't mean "No highway in the sky," with Jimmy Stewart? I believe "Fate is the hunter," starred Rod Taylor and Glenn Ford. Also, "The crowded sky," was actually a DC6 (National) I don't remember Robert Stack in the movie. What part did he play? I remember Dana Andrews, Anne Francis, and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. We have a copy of the movie somewhere and I'll have to look.

Anyway, the stinker of all stinkers and its really not an aviation movie has got to be "Ed Wood's, Plan nine from outer space." There are a couple of scenes showing the pilots sitting on fold out chairs, a shower curtain for a door and cardboard yokes. The airline and plane were an American Airlines DC6. The total movie is a complete joke but worth seeing if you want some laughs.

searpqx

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:45 am

Airplane, was and still is, an excellent example of slap-stick, pun, parody and innuendo. Yes it was silly, that was the whole point. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of cornball comedy, so I'm probably a little biased.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

cedarjet

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:48 am

I like Airport 1975 a LOT. Who can forget the gorgeous air-to-air footage of a real American Airlines 747-100 swooping through the Rockies, across the plains of Utah? And those irresistable 70s vibes?

Speaking of Airport 1975 (and The Crowded Sky) btw, Dana Andrews and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. were the pilots of the 747 and the light plane in Airport 1975, reversing their previous roles as the pilots of the DC6 and the fighter jet in The Crowded Sky.

I also love Skyjacked for the (again, real) air-to-air shots of the World Airways 707 flying in formation with a load of Migs. And who can forget the heartstopping near miss about halfway through the film when the 707 appears out of a black cloud, right behind a single-engined Cessna, before rolling into an aerobatic evasive maneouvre?

Worst ever? The one about the spaceplane that gets stuck in orbit is unbelievably rotten. Can't remember Turbulence 3. There were actually loads of sub-mental made-for-TV airline disaster movies made in the 90s, I don't commit them to memory if I can help it.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Marcus

Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:21 am

There was another dog made in the mid 80s (also an ABC made for TV flick) that delt with a 'space plane' that became stuck in a low earth orbit and the passangers were rescued via the Space Shuttle. I can not recall the name however.

The name of this movie is starflight one

http://members.fortunecity.com/roogulator/sf/starflight1.htm

From what I remember they used the space shuttle to bring the passengers back, but there was not enough room for the pilot (Lee Majors) so he "flew" the plane back from space and used the space shuttle as a shield for reentry.

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

thomasphoto60

Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:26 am

I have skyjacked as well, though Cedar those were not Migs, rather they were North American F-100 Super Sabers, used extensively in Vietnam. One of the things that bothered me was the poor editing. A great example of this was when the 707 was on approach to ANC and due to the horrible editing was the fact that the directors could not decide whether the gear was to shown in the down position or not as the plane in separate sequences show both up and down as it approaches ANC. You can also see this in the sequence when the Migs (F-100s) are buzzing the 707. The final sequence where the plane lands at what I presume is SVO, did you notice that the Soviet soldiers were brandishing M-16s rifles, I guess for film makers getting a hold of a few AK-47s might have been tough in the early 70s.

Still a fun flick and I have seen worse.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

CF-CPI

Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:51 am

While not an airline movie per se, 'Goodfellas' used quite a bit of airline footage since robberies at 'Idlewild' airport, as JFK then was, were a central feature of the story. The thing is, you'd see the words "Idlewild Airport, 1963" , followed by footage of 747s landing. Why not something sexy and accurate like a Swissair DC-8 or AA Convair 990, huh?

During the 'Air France heist', there was a tarmac scene featuring an aircraft painted with Air France titles. Trouble was, it was a Convair prop (340 or 440!). It would take a lot of Dom Perignon and pate du fois gras to make that trip tolerable.

B727-200

Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:16 am

Once channel-surfing I came across a movie where the pilot - flying his Concorde - did an inverted loop to avoid a bogie. Once in the inverted position, he opened the cockpit window and shot at said bogie with a hand pistol.

What movie is this, and please let it be a really bad comedy?

B727-200.

707CMF

Submerged!

Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:25 am

B727-200 >
That was Airport 79.

As for the worst aviation movie ever, I nominate Submerged, starring Coolio (yes!!). You discover that a 747 classic can be piloted with a one man crew, the sole pilot operating from both right and left seats (he swapped a few times), in a cockpit that varies from 747 to 737 to learjet...

Also the plane ditches, is submerged by water, and to take it out of the water, what do they do ? They use huge flotters. Souds familiart ? Yes, there was the same trick in one of the Airport movies. Well, actually, they even used footage from that Airport movie...

Event on the cover, they make blatant errors : it is about a highjacked private 747, and the cove speaks of a 'Commercial flight between Los Angeles and Awai' (don't know where Awai is ? Look near Onolulu  Wink/being sarcastic )

You have to see it to believe it. (I bought the DVD for 6euros, it is really worth the good laughs we have with other spotters. Actually, another friend bought it the newt day)

Antoine

BR715-A1-30

Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:31 am

Got to agree with you there about Turbulence 3 - Heavy metal. Also, there was really rubbish film with Wesley Snipes in, but I forgot what it was called.

Actually, I thought PASSENGER 57 was a pretty good movie. It had an L-1011 ALL THROUGHOUT THE MOVIE. No 737 with L-1011 interior or anything. The Cockpit was L-1011, and the movie was very lifelike. I Liked it. It was better than Ray Liotta is Turbulence.
Puhdiddle

exnonrev

Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:33 am

My vote goes to the Robert Reed SST pic. It was definitely a product of the anti-Concorde hysteria here in the US circa 1976-77. At least the F/As weren't named Carol, Marcia, Jan and Cindy.

txagkuwait

LaxFlyer:

Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:42 am

Might have been a DC6 in "The Crowded Sky" rather than a DC7, but thought it was a 7.

It was definitely not national...the airline in question was the "Trans-States".

As far as the Jimmy Stewart movie is concerned....the passenger aircraft was referred to as "a reindeer" if that joggles your memory.

Yes, it's true, I occasionally have bouts of CRS disease and I am not talking about a computerized reservation system.

clrd2go

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:53 pm

Re Goodfellas..I loved the scene at Idylwild in 63, as mentioned, with
the 747s flying over, and Ray Liotta leaning against a 65 Chevy  Wink/being sarcastic

Jim

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:34 pm

The title of the ABC-TV movie was actually "Starflight: The Plane That Couldn't Land" but it was later released overseas as a feature film under the name "Starflight One."

Lee Majors, Lauren Hutton, and Hal Linden starred in it.

The premise was that a hypersonic transport plane flying from LAX to SYD gets affected by a piece of debris from a rogue rocket launch gone awry, causing it to end up in orbit.

The Space Shuttle Columbia (may she rest in peace) was the hero of the film, being dispatched over and over again to the plane for assistance.

Starflight One eventually re-entered the Earth's atmosphere, using the Shuttle (not Columbia, but a different "special purpose" one) as a shield, riding her "shadow" through re-entry.

The Robert Reed disaster flick? That one pops up every now and again on late-night TV. Ironically, the name of the airplane in this movie was "Maiden One."
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group