usair330

Most Annoying Questions You've Been Asked....?

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:15 pm

I myself like many of you that read this am an aviation enthusiast. When people know that you are one that start asking all sort of questions lol. You all know this...... So after a while some of the questions become annoying...

So here's the most annoying question to me.......

What kind of plane is that? lol

What's the most annoying question to you?

jhooper

RE: Most Annoying Questions You've Been Asked....?

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:18 pm

What question gets annoying?

Why do you like planes so much?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Dash8King

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:26 pm

I like it when they ask what kind of plane it is especially when they think they are going to stump you and you prove them wrong! I too think that the question "Why do you like planes so much" is very annoying.

bigmo747

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:27 pm

Why do u like planes so much??

Dont u think u need some sort of help??

How many engines does a 747 have??

Which one is better Airbus or Boeing??

and whole lot more........

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:30 pm

I don't mind questions, because it shows people are trying to understand me more. But I don't like questions when we are landing or taking off, and I don't like questions or talking when I am spotting when a plane I like is taking off.
Go big or go home

usair330

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:30 pm

I agree, why do u like planes so much is an erking question. Another question is what airline is better....

ndege

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:36 pm

I like how, working for an airline, you are supposed to be able to get people discounts or free flights not only on your carrier, but on others as well. You are also expected to be widely versed in everyone's fare rules and be able to secure good seats for your friends and family.

BL

MIA777

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:38 pm

All of my friends think I am absolutely crazy as I have pictures I took at MIA in my school binder and I always interrogate them about their recent flights....however the most annoying questions are from my younger brothers. They always ask the hubs of a random airline...gets annoying after a while!
MIA777

BaliMorris

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:53 pm

How about "Most Annoying Questions You've Been Asked....?"

Sorry, could resist that. Mine would be when you take something to a cashier and they ask "Will that be all?" Doesn't matter how much stuff you've got, they still ask that every time. Yup, that does annoy me alright.

usair330

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:59 pm

i was kinda aiming towards aviation questions lol, but that'll work.

GDB

Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:05 pm

Showing some people over a BA Concorde a few years ago, the A/C was powered up, 'is this a real aircraft?'
A few weeks later explaining on board how the A/C expands 6-10 inches due to heating in supercruise someone asked 'what, the passengers get bigger?'
Both were 'adults'

ndege

Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:24 pm

Well since one person did it I may as well state another non-aviation specific one, though I guess if you count the food courts it is somewhat related.

"Would you like fries with that?" - Fries were all I ordered! This has happened more than once. Sad.

BL

kjet12

Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:38 pm

Which is better Boeing or Airbus?
What will NW replace their DC-9s and DC-10s with?

Kris
FLY THE FRIENDLY SKIES
AA - Doing what we do best.

fspilot747

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:40 pm

I don't have much of a problem when people ask me "what plane that is" flying overhead several thousand feet. What really gets me is when I tell them the plane AND the airline, they don't believe me.

"How can you tell, it's so far away.."

FSP

SIA fan

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:44 pm

...arriving at the gate at ORD T5 for my flight to Singapore...one of my friends pointed at the 777..."Are you sure an aircraft that small can take us to Singapore?"....
SQ*G BD*S

kevi747

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:49 pm

I've had complete strangers who see me in uniform on the streets of Manhattan ask me if I can get them free tickets. And several bums have actually said, "I hope you crash!" after I refused to give them spare change. That was really annoying!

Onboard annoying questions:

Am I going to make my connection?

Where are we?

What's that Island down there?

etc..
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:57 pm

My most irritating questions?

"It costs HOW much to fly there? I could fly to Europe for that!!!"

"Why are you charging me a change fee? I'm freeing up a seat for you!"

"Does my dog get frequent flier miles, too?"

"But I'M the one paying for my daughter's ticket! Why can't I have the frequent flier miles?"

"Why can't 'Spaghetti and Meatballs' be my special meal?"

"How many babies did you kill today?"
(just after the crash of flight 261)

"Do you have a flight from PVR to just off the California Coast?" (again, just after the crash of flight 261)

"I know it was nonrefundable, but why can't I get my money back?"

"What time does the 1:24 flight leave?"

"Does the baggage go on the same plane as we do?"

"Why do I have to buy a seat for my 2 year old? They're fine on my lap."

"Why don't you do things like Southwest? At least THEY make money!"

"Do you know how long I had to wait on hold?"

"Do you know who I am?"
(No, but if you're just like the previous 10 irate callers I had, you're a lawyer, and you're best friends with our CEO)  Insane

"Yes I know the flights I'm trying to book for next week are the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after, but why aren't there any frequent flier seats available?"

And the list goes on...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

concorde1518

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:05 pm

Yeah, I don't like the question of "why do you know so much about planes?" because the tone in which its asked is usually like a "you need help." I just hate the questions where the person is trying to act like they know a lot. A few days ago I got "yeah, but nobody really uses Airbus, since they're a lot smaller right?" and then they added "and they're a little....." And made a "they're French, and sooo unreliable" facial expression. I had some fun and told them all about how the computer always has the final authority, and in the event of an emergency, the pilot is helpless, but it is felt that this is safer  Big grin

Same guy, later conversation:
blah blah blah 737's? I thought they were almost gone since they're so old!

Smile

kevi747

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:10 pm

EA CO AS,

That's so funny!!! I've had so many PAX who are best friends with, plays golf with, just had dinner with,....etc. our CEO Don Carty. If they're all telling the truth, he's the most popular man on Earth!!

Kevin

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:17 pm

I've had so many PAX who are best friends with, plays golf with, just had dinner with,....etc. our CEO Don Carty

Next time you see Don, tell him he's not fat enough or tan enough to be having all those dinners and golf excursions that the AAdvantage members constantly claim they regularly enjoy with him.  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

QantasAirways

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:23 pm

"Have you packed any prohibited things in your luggage without your knowledge?"

God!

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:34 pm

I HATE it when my parents are traveling with me and we are out with all the rest of the passengers and its quite and my dad leans over to me and asks me: "What kind of Plane is that Adam..." And its the same plane we've always flown on.... He is just trying to make me feel good about boasting my recon skills on Airplanes in front of all the people around me but its annoying!  Nuts

Also... The everyday question: Why do you like Planes so much?

Then there are the questions like: "Planes are so dumb...what did they ever do for me?" and "I hate flying on the little planes...im supprised they don't fall apart!"

Those non-aviation people are so ingnorant.... They all think that the Turbo Props are unsafe.  Angry

DeltaASA16 Big grin

AC320

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:55 pm

"Is that a Boeing airbus 767 jumbo jet?" a man asked pointing to an Air Transat 757-200

He broke every rule in the book in one sentence. I wanted to cry...
fuddle duddle

AroundTheWorld

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:58 pm

My two favourites have been: "Where are the engines on a 737 at?" and regarding a flight schedule change: "Why can't I go on the flight I was on that left earlier?"

acidradio
Crew

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:00 pm

Often at work, I am asked where a good place to smoke is located. Unfortunately, MSP (like most other airports in the US) does not feature any kind of smoking lounge or smoking area, so passengers have to exit the airport and come back in and it is a tremendous hassle, especially when you don't have a lot of time for a connection.

People get desperate. I caught a man lighting up in a back stairwell that is not really intended for public use. Fortunately, it was just me, for had it been a police officer he may have been arrested. I directed him to the nearest outside exit, which was the best I could do. I stopped a man on his way to AMS who was about to walk into the women's restroom thinking he could smoke in there.

I can't imagine it being all that difficult to have just a small smoking lounge in the airport here and there. In this day and age, we need to do what we can to keep people flying. Making them feel welcome and comfortable in often cramped and foreign surroundings is certainly a start.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

usair330

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:03 pm

How about some of you adding me to the Respected users list lol

Another annoying thing though, why is it when people see contrails they think the contrails are a missle lol.

Prinair

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:17 pm

Some of mine are like....

Me - Here is your boarding pass...your seat is 7A...a window...have a nice flight!

Pax- Ah...uh...Do you guys have assigned seats? Do I have to sit there?

============================================

Me - (talking into the microphone while boarding a full flight) ...We are now boarding those passengers seated on rows 15 thru 20 only ....once again rows 15 and higher only may board at this time...thank you!

Pax- I am on row 6 is it my turn? (she is blonde and usually wearing a sweater from a major university)

PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines

kevi747

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:26 pm

Awwww!!! DeltaASA16, that's so cute!! You be nice to your dad. He's just proud to have a child who's smart. Reminds me of my dad. Love ya, Dad!!!

Kevin

QantasAirways

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:28 pm

USAir330
You've had 32 posts... You won't get people to add you to their Respected Users list just by asking!

Qantas

Spirit of Australia

usair330

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:49 pm

Then gimme some from your 937 qantas.

ndege

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:56 pm

Those non-aviation people are so ingnorant.... They all think that the Turbo Props are unsafe.

People always look at me like I've eaten too much lead paint when I say I like flying on Saab 340s. Aside from the bone-jarring rattle sitting anywhere alongside or aft of the wing, I feel more comfortable on these planes than most others. People whine about the landings being rougher than on a "real plane" as they call them, but I personally find them much softer in most cases.

What is with all the negativity?

707CMF

Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:44 pm

When was the last crash of the Boeing A380 ?

yeah, I know...

Then I answered "It hasn't crashed, and will never. It is actually the most reliable aircraft ever (not) built !"

Shamrock_747

Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:35 pm

I don't mind questions about aviation, even if it is something like 'is that a Boeing Concorde Jumbo' whilst looking at an A319. It just shows someone is trying to find out something they don't know. After all, there isn't any reason why a non-aviation enthusiast should know the difference between two planes.

What does really annoy me is when someone asks me 'what plane is that?' just to test me, not because they want to know.

Shamrock_747

EA CO AS

Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:00 am

Prinair-

Here's what you say:

"...at this time we will begin by offering pre-boarding courtesy to any customers traveling with small children, children traveling alone, or anyone who feels they need a little extra time and assistance in boarding today..."

And here's what the customers hear:

"ALL RISE...."  Big grin

fritzi

Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:06 am

Here is my list

What is that noise?

Why are we never lifting off the runway?

Why do you like airplanes?

How many times has this type of aircraft crashed?

vermeer

Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:09 am

" why aren't you straight?"

no, seriously, "is this plane old?" " is it safe?"

tsentsan

Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:41 am

Looking at a 777, I get asked sometimes, "Are you sure this thing can fly?"....
NO URLS in signature

sushka

Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:14 am

I have been asked:
What is the difference between 747s and 777s.

This one I hate  Pissed I get asked this all the time!!!
Are you going to fly your plane into a building?
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

fsuwxman

Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:56 am

"What's the weather going to be like?"
"Is it going to rain tomorrow?"
"Why is the forecast on TV never right?"

wait... oh you mean aviation questions... How about those two questions they ask you when you are checking in at the airport...

"Has your bags been with you since you packed them?"
"Has anyone unknown to you asked you to take anything onboard the aircraft?"

Of course you are just going to answer the question to how they want to hear.

Nuts Off to do a weather forecast...
ASOS... Another Shi#y Observation Station

meechy36

Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:48 am

This just happened to me last week on a westbound transcon, we were serving meals in coach and a call light goes off, I approach the woman and ask her what she needs, she points out the window and asks "what road is that?" It used to be what state are we over or what lake is that? What's next, who's house is that down there?! Incidentally, I told her it was Route 13 with a straight face and asked her if there was anything else? "No", she seemed satisfied and my cartmate was amazed by my grasp on geography, LOL

I don't know about the other flight attendants out there but I usually don't get a chance to look out the window and about half the pilots get pissy if we call them up and ask them where we are.

Cheers,
Mike-BOS

AIR757200

Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:57 am

"Is the flight on-time?"

digby

Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:48 pm

I know this is not a question, but I thought I'd add it anyway, as it really "cheeses" me off.

In the airport you hear the airline call for the passengers to board and they say....

"Could all passengers who are booked on flight XXX to XXX please proceed to gate XXX. This is the FIRST AND FINAL CALL."

Then a few minutes later....

"This is a FURTHER AND FINAL CALL for flight XXX" etc etc

Why call the flight and say it's a first and final, when they know they are going to call it again. Blah!!!

And the one that irritates me the most is....

"This is the LAST and FINAL call for flight XXX"

Is it the LAST... OR.... the FINAL call... I wish they would make up their mind, before even calling the flight in the first place.

There is another guy who says....

"This is the last call and passengers wishing to go to XXX should have boarded by now..."

WHAT THE????

Friends don't let friends shoot Nikon!

AroundTheWorld

Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:57 pm

"How do I get that $49 roundtrip fare from New York to Honolulu for spring break" Yes I have actually been asked this - more times than I can count.

ndege

Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:12 pm

And then you have the flight attendants who start EVERY SINGLE PHRASE off with "Once again."

"Once again, the Captain has turned on the 'fasten seatbelt' sign."

It would be a little more ok if they had said it once to begin with!

BL

QANTAS747-438

Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:51 pm

1) "...so wait a minute, if the 777 has the biggest engines, then why not just put four 777 engines on a 747?"

2) -I'd like to work at an airport!
"Doing what? The guy who guides the plane in?"

3) "Why do I have to go over Greenland if I wanna fly to London?"

4) "Something's wrong here... why does my ticket say it'll take longer to fly there, than it will flying back? Am I on a different flight?"
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

mandala499

Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:09 pm

"isn't flying just like driving?"
"why do you like planes?"
"which is your favourite *insert an aviation noun,equipment, company, or whatever silly general things here*???"
"I wonder why the stewardess is in the cockpit?"

Oh well...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

citationjet

Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:12 am

"Why does a 737 have 2 engines, and a 727 have 3 engines?"
"Will Boeing's next new plane be called the 787?"
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Msh744

Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:47 am

It's only happened twice, but two people have come up to me asking about an AN-124 contrail pic that I took that I put in my locker at school. They asked (on different occasions): "Is that Columbia?", and, "Is it crashing?". They've been CNN-itized! Now, will people see white trails coming from aircraft and think that its crashing?

-Msh744

aloges

Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:58 am

Me: "If you're going to London on HLX, you'll be on a 737..."
My dad (sorry): "Such a LARGE one??!?!" with a face that said he was thinking of a four-holer

another one, also by him (I'm really sorry):
"When I've taken a photo on that (digi)cam, how do I spool the film?"  Nuts
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AA 777

Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:53 am

Some nice questions my moms been asked at work:

The whole conversation:

Guy-Can I have an upgrade?

Mom- Sir, sorry First class is all booked

Guy-Cant you kick someone out and give me the seat?

Yes she has actually been asked that

AA 777
Matt
CRJ-700 FO