richcandy

Aer Lingus To Montreal And First Class

Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:38 pm

Hi

Does anyone know the flight numbers and departure times for Aer Lingus's service to Montreal. Also when did this service operate to and from.

And does anyone know anything about there first class service and what it was like.

Thanks

Rich

Marco

RE: Aer Lingus To Montreal And First Class

Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:44 pm

EI doesn't fly to YUL.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

richcandy

Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:26 pm

I know that they don't but they did. What I would like to know is when and the schedule.

Rich

FlyAirbus

Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:53 pm

I know Aer Lingus started flying to Montreal Dorval in 1966 with the Boeing 720 and 707 and that they came for several years but I couldn't say when they stopped flying to YUL.

shamrock104

Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:54 pm

I believe that they served YUL often as part of a YYZ rotation. They definately had the 747-100's flying there at one stage.

Aer Lingus old first class 'Golden Shamrock Service' was superb. It was well known it was at one stage one of the best across the atlantic in terms of service. Catering was sumptious, black caviar with blinis served with ice-cold vodka and the finest wines and Champaignes. The seats were large and luxuirous.

They had a 'Super Executive Class' as well, but then Premier Class replaced them in the early 90's.

Skywatcher

Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:45 am

At the time I was a very young, budding aviation afficianado and remember occasionally spotting the EI 720's on a Dublin-Shannon-Montreal-Chicago and return routing. Alot of European airlines used YUL as an en-route stop on the way to Chicago in that era. AF and BA also did for sure. I believe SR and SAS did as well.
I don't think the service lasted much past 1967 or 1968 unfortunately.From that time onwards, Chicago was served non-stop from Shannon.
The YUL arrivals were during the mid-afternoon at around 14:00 EDT a couple of times per week if I'm not mistaken.

First class must have been amazing in those days.I don't think "over-drinking" was regarded as an outrageous event back then and probably occured frequently.
I wouldn't be surprised if the stewardesses were routinely hit on amid the clouds of cigarette smoke.

Ahhh, the "swinging" sixties.

Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:55 am

I had the absolute pleasure of flying Aer Lingus to Shannon from Boston in May, 1999. My co-workers and I flew Premier Class, and it was superb.
Excellent cuisine served on exquisite china; drinks in Irish Waterford crystal glasses. The linens for the table trays were world famous Irish made. Large comfortable leather seats, and a very very attentive cabin crew. Actually, come to think of it, that BOS-SNN flight was one of the most delightful I have ever had.

I do wish Aer Lingus would come back to YYZ. I find it suprising that, given the large number of Irish-Canadians, plus high Canadian tourist interest in Eire, that Aer Lingus does not service SNN and DUB from YYZ during the summer months. Hmmmmm.

yyz717

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:17 pm

EI flew to YYZ in summer 1979 with a weekly 741 charter series. I recall cycling several times to YYZ to spot that very colourful livery. That was their only regular service to YYZ.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.