zrs70

What US Airlines Have Had Premium Cabins?

Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:51 am

Once upon a time, airlines flight were all one class. I believe it was in the 50's, before the jet era, that economy was added. In some aircraft, economy was in the front of the plane, where the noise was greater.

Most of the US majors had two cabin service through the 60's. Though I remember a UA ad that talked about three-classes on their 707's. Seating was either 2-2, 2-3, or 3-3. They didn't call the middle cabin business at the time.

At what point did the US majors add two class service to domestic flights?

I remember that airlines like PI and US were mostly one class, with a splattering of F flights on their longer routes.

NY was all Y.
PE was Y, except for their 747's.
RC had a C cabin on some planes, but no F
YX is all Y with F (ish) service.
WN and J6 are both all Y.

Did FL and WA offer F service? What about QF?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

RE: What US Airlines Have Had Premium Cabins?

Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:52 am

FL currently offers Business Class, which is comparable to Domestic First Class.

BA

RE: What US Airlines Have Had Premium Cabins?

Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:17 am

At what point did the US majors add two class service to domestic flights?

I believe it was in the 60's.

AirTran relatively recently started offering First Class. Not sure exactly when though.

NK started offering First Class just last year.

NJ offered First Class on there MD-80 series aircraft. Of course, they're gone now.

QF I believe began offering First Class when they got the 707s. They were the first airline outside of the US to order the 707.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran