chuj

Calculating Airline Yields/Fare Per Passenger Mile

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:19 am

Hello all,

I am conducting research on airfares in concentrated markets (i.e. hubs). Can anyone tell me how one goes about calculating fare per passenger mile on a specific carrier at a specific airport. That is, WHAT is the necessary data, WHERE can I find the necessary data that goes into the calculation, and HOW do I then use the data to calculate the yield? I truly appreciate all responses that helps to shed light on this for me.

Regards,
Chuj

jhooper

RE: Calculating Airline Yields/Fare Per Passenger Mile

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:21 am

Economics Prof. Steven Morrison has published a few books on the subject, which include some of the equations you may be interested in. When I wrote a paper last semester on airline deregulation, I used some of his books. Link to my paper below and you'll find links to his research. Or just do a web search for "Steven Morrison"

http://www.geocities.com/germb777
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

chuj

Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:30 am

Thanks Jeremy...I'll take a look. My paper is on the topic of hub premiums which you touch upon in your work. Thanks again.

SegmentKing

Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:49 am

do some searching at http://bts.dot.gov

The data is *there* just not sure where... they have ::: thousands ::: of documents available online... i just pray you have Adobe Acrobat and broadband...

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

flyCMH

Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:58 am

While not the most up-to-date information, this site provides statistics for most major U.S. cities including passengers per day between routes, market share leader, and average price paid.

Click on "airline industry data" and then on "Domestic Consumer Air Fare Reports." Table 6 will have all the information.

http://ostpxweb.ost.dot.gov/aviation/domestic-competition/

chuj

Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:21 am

Wow...thanks for all that input guys! All of your tips should come in handy. Up to now, I have been working with the bts site, which is somewhat complex to navigate. They have so much data, but yes, thankfully I have Acrobat and the college network allows one to download quickly! I am, however, starting to figure some things out. I will also use the DOT site that you refer to Flycmh. Once again, thanks to Jeremy, Segmentking, and FLYCmh!

penguinflies

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:56 pm

Aviation Daily and Elact Consulting has all the information already compiled for Each major US airline and their US hubs. It includes the top 20 domestic and international markets and avg. daily revenue, RPM, ASM, yeild and share of service. All for about $90 per quarter.