MSYtristar
Topic Author

Pan Am's (Boston-Maine's) New England

Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:56 pm

Pan Am (Boston-Maine Airways) serves a good chunk of New England....

Portsmouth,NH
Bangor,ME
Hyannis,MA
Martha's Vineyard,MA
Nantucket,MA
Manchester,NH
Bedford,MA

I am wondering...have the citizens of New England embraced this service, or not really? How's the advertising up there? I took the bus up to PSM several times to snoop around, visit the hdq, etc, and I was honestly impressed with all the stuff they have going on there. I know the J3100's aren't much to write home about, but I know I would utilize that service if I was still in that area. I'd like to see them start PVD service...possibly a PVD-BGR flight, or even PVD-Halifax. I'm wondering if they will attempt to do intra-Florida J31 service again in the future?

Steve in New Orleans (hoping to see a Clipper, J31/727/or whatever, in MSY again some day)

Theiler

RE: Pan Am's (Boston-Maine's) New England

Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:03 pm

Well, they have been operating a lot of flights up here.. But (like all PA service up here) the advertising is basically non-existent in the Portsmouth and surrounding area. I'm not sure about the exact clientele, but I personally view it a sort of "commuter" service.

In occasionally monitoring ATC from Pease they often ask if the plane is going to the terminal or the hanger (a good indicator of whether or not it is empty). It seems to be hit or miss as to whether or not they are loaded.

Speaking for myself, if I was to take a weekend trip up to Halifax, that's the way I would do it.. It's a pretty long drive through Maine.

I will give them this.. Pease is a great setup, and an almost ideal place, economically, to base a small airline. There is -plenty- of ramp space (including for expansion) and the infrastructure is substantial and modern (as you would expect from a former AF base) with the 24 hour tower, GCA Approach controllers - when they're not deployed, etc.

[Edited 2003-03-20 05:13:20]

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:17 pm

They are flying to so many cities now, it would sure be nice if they posted a timetable of sorts on their website.

I like the fact that BMA serves the Cape and the Islands during the winter...a good alternative to Cape Air...but I'm not sure how those flights do.

Steve in New Orleans

chrisnh

Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:51 pm

I think this carrier's history of 'coming and going' from airports (e.g. Gary, Worcester, et al) is tempering enthusiasm for the start of B&M service here at Manchester this month. Also, they aren't (as of yet) starting 727 service at MHT, so that too is tempering excitement. I think the Halifax/BGR services are good ways to feed traffic down here to join Southwest's outbound flights, making MHT a sort of mini-hub for Southwest. You combine PA's 'under-the-radar' approach to advertising and promotion, their 'here today/gone tomorrow' track record, their two-month-long hiatus on flights that just ended, and you have a carrier that deserves every single skeptical eye shed upon it.

Chris in NH

FlyingTexan

Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:31 am

I would do it.. It's a pretty long drive through Maine.

Pretty long drive through New Brunswick, too.

Maybe you could fly to Bar Harbor and take the 90 km/h 'Cat' catamaran to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Takes less then 3 hours. It's seasonal, though.

JR FlyingTexan
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:20 am

Just seeing that globe flying...regardless of the aircraft or the routes....still sends chills down my spine. Do I miss the glory days when Pan Am flew DC-10's between MSY and our great neighbor Houston? Oh do I ever!  Smile

Steve in New Orleans

spinkid

Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:38 pm

It's even hard on their website to figure out what city pairs they fly too, combined with the fact they only fly certain days of the week, it's all but impossible to get a quote on there.