klwright69

CO To TLV - Uninterrupted Service

Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:24 am

Flight 90 was EWR to TLV was cancelled last night (that has already been discussed.... I wonder why). But it is operating tonight and tomorrow night. Anyone know why CO is maintaining service to the middle east at such a perilous time? I can imagine that flights to there are light but packed on the return. Just a guess. Meanwhile others are suspending service.

artsyman

RE: CO To TLV - Uninterrupted Service

Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:45 am

loads seem fine in both directions actually

Jer

Tango-Bravo

Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:43 am

Speaks volumes about CO's confidence in security at TLV -- without speaking a word. Same can be surmised from LH's announcement of restoration of service to TLV even while the battle to liberate Iraq goes on. Regardless of bookings, neither would be flying to TLV if there were, in their minds, even the remotest possibility of their crews, pax and planes being effected by the war or terrorist acts.

MarkTPA

Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:47 pm

Continental would not fly to TLV if it was not safe. The cancellation must have been mechanical in nature. IAHCSR could look it up for you if you really wanted to know.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:49 pm

Continental issued a statement weeks ago claiming that it would not suspend EWR-TLV if war broke out in Iraq. Continental is the only US airline to fly to Israel at the moment and despite war, terrorism, and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, people still travel to and from the largest US-Israel market (NYC). My guess is that CO makes $$ on the route in good times and in bad.

ContinentalEWR

MarkTPA

Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:00 pm

I think it is a good guess Continental EWR. When I used to check those flights in, lots of excess baggage charges as well as the full flights.

El Al 001

Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:42 am

Lufthansa is also back tomorrow in TLV.
Actually, nothing has changed here during the last few days, life are normal..
No reason for not flying here IMO.

CO claimed on Friday by the Israeli press that the reason for the flight cancellation was only due to 'logistic reasons' (as if..) and that accrued because of CO worldwide schedules problem.

Michael