MSYtristar
Topic Author

I Love Pan Am

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:10 am

I just love Pan American World Airways and everything that she stood for. I have followed the grand airline since I was a small child, and it seems my interest just grows bigger and bigger with each passing year. Every time I see a picture of a Clipper, it really does something to me. Strikes a nerve is a good way to put it. Sends chills down my spine. I had the honor of seeing a few pictures today of Pan Am's MSY inagural in 1988...an event that I remember going to at the young age of 9...and it nearly made me cry. I must have went to the airport 3 days a week after school...my grandparents always took me...and my first stop was the Pan Am counter, asking questions to he agents, getting flight schedules, anything really. I made the trek down to gate B7 religiously. I tried and tried to get my dad to go on a flight with me to DFW somewhere around 1990, because they were advertising a fare of only $100 roundtrip. We never made it. Today, I have a mini Pan Am museum in my room, complete with flight schedules, tee shirts, models, books, cups, pins, videos, a music cd, and everything else in between. And it doesn't matter how often I look at it all, it always has the same affect. The Pan Am name is as much a part of me as my italian heritage. It is a piece of my heart and soul. I bleed Pan Am blue when all is said and done. And I couldn't be happier.

Stephen in New Orleans

lindy field

RE: I Love Pan Am

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:24 am

The shutdown of Pan Am I must have been very hard on you. Let's hope this year isn't a repeat of 1991 in terms of airline liquidations.

dripstick

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:37 am

Well, good news Stephen. PAN AM just bought 24 of United's parked B727s and will be expanding their routes.

I took some shots of N343PA today in full PAN AM colours. The nose cone was still in UAL colours.

I have submitted them and they are in the queue right now.

Cheers, Dripstick
What's another word for thesaurus?

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:56 am

You know, even though this new Pan Am does not have any of the grandeur of the original, it makes me quite happy to see the globe flying. At the very least, they are owned by a company with a solid financial backing.

I wish them the best of luck....heck, they've been around now for almost 4 years right? maybe a lttle longer? They just might make it!

Steve in MSY

dripstick

Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:05 pm

Here is a PAN AM at Hamilton, Ontario in for a D-check (ex-UNITED)...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Vanderheyden
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Vanderheyden

Dripstick
What's another word for thesaurus?