A388
Topic Author

Flying Tigers, Good Old Days...

Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:03 am

People are talking about how they miss the airlines and there liveries of the '80's. Airlines such as Eastern Airlines, TWA, PSA, Western Airlines, AirCAL, VIASA, Swissair and Sabena all come to mind. I remember seeing these airlines when I was in the United States in the '80's. Old classic liveries such as Swissair, Lufthansa, the gold Continental Airlines and SAS are sadly enough nothing but a memory. Aircraft types such as Martinair's DC-10-30CF, American Airlines' 747's, Alitalia's 747-200, Viasa's 747-200 and Avianca's 747-200 are missed.

Like all these airlines, one cargo airline I also miss seeing around, is Flying Tigers. This cargo airline used to make a fuel stop in Curacao where I was born and raised. Everytime when this airline flew over our house I ran outside to see it. They arrived from South America and sometimes flew low over our house. I saw their DC-8-73F with the big engines for the first time when I went to Puerto Rico on vacation in the '80's, I was very excited and happy to see that aircraft. I could hear the heavy sound of the 'Flying Tiger' 747 before it flew over our house, a sound I would gladly want to hear again, an airline I would gladly want to see flying around again. I liked their livery, somehow it stood out in between other airlines.

How much do I miss this airline, like I miss most airlines of the '80's.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Hildreth

View Large View Medium

Photo © Howard Chaloner

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer

Do you have a favorite cargo airline you would like to see flying around again?

A388  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Established02

RE: Flying Tigers, Good Old Days...

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:43 pm

> I could hear the heavy sound of the 'Flying Tiger' 747 before it flew over our house,
> a sound I would gladly want to hear again

I have similar "melancholic" memories about FT. BRU used to be an important service point for FT during the eighties with several flights a week (ex LHR, ex JFK and to FRA). At that time FT may have been the only regular 747F operator into BRU, making them even more special to me. The name "Flying Tigers" and the silver shining fuselages seemed to be so powerful and fascinating.

One time (as a teenager) I visited the cargo office of Flying Tigers at the airport. The staff was intensely preparing for a flight at that time. However the friendly American station manager (who spoke perfectly Dutch) sensed my passion for aviation and invited me to come again at another time so that he could give me a brief excursion on to the ramp and into one of the FT freighters. This sounded like an incredible offer to me and obviously I felt like in 7th Heaven! Somehow I was too shy to come back later on and to remind the station manager about his "promise" to me, but this experience remains a precious memory of my "good old days" during the eighties.

teva

RE: Flying Tigers, Good Old Days...

Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:53 am

I would like to see FT back in the skies.
For their colours, of course.
But for their people and their spirit too.
In fact, I am missing the Aviation of the 70s
(like the old Pan AM or TWA or BA people)
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con