Douglas DC-9
Topic Author

Airbags In Airliners?

Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:55 am

On Friday, March 28, 2003 Paul Harvey made an announcement durning his Noon program that airliners are expected to have airbags in them to make the passenger feel safer. Is this really true? And would an airbag really help at all? What aircraft will have them if any at all? I mean I love listening to Paul Harvey and I trust what he says, but I really don't know this time.

Thanks Much,
DC-9

avt007

RE: Airbags In Airliners?

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:33 am

I have seen a proposal to do this, the airbags were built into the lap belts. BTW, who is Paul Harvey?

captaingomes

Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:08 am

I don't think airbags will help, unless it's in a small aircraft. In cars, airbags are beneficial because of the small area and the proximity to objects such as the door, dashboard, steering wheel, windshield, etc. In an airliner, that is not the case, while the seats in front of you will somewhat soften the blow. Beyond that, there are issues of evacuation, which will surely be more difficult with all those airbags dangling out of the seats, bulkheads, etc. I don't think they'd help at all. This idea sounds about at dumb as seatbelts on a motorcycle (which I've heard people say they should have!!!)
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Arsenal@LHR

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:16 am

How do airbags in any way help a passenger in the event of an accident? Plane crashes are a 1000 times more violent than a car crash, the impact a pax is subjected to when a plane crashes at 400 mph is not something you defend against.
In Arsene we trust!!

ConcordeBoy

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:40 am

BTW, who is Paul Harvey?

He's a radio news commentator who's 10,000 years older than sand... and just as witty  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

notam-j

Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:03 am

WOW... now that guy was really thinking. When I'm in an airliner hurdling towards the ground at terminal velocity, nothing would be more comforting than to know the aircraft is equipped with airbags. I'll be sure to book my next flight with that airline!

This makes about as much sense as wearing a helmet while skydiving and you're parachute doesn't deploy. Any other bright ideas Paul?!?!

Nuts
If only I had a nickel for every Boeing vs Airbus posting...

ConcordeBoy

Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:36 am

off subject and just FYI... the purpose of a helmet when skydiving is to protect against concussion should the diver fail to properly clear the diving platform/aircraft or in the event of a hard/improperly-angled landing......... obviously not against failure of parachute deployment.  Insane
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MxCtrlr

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:12 pm

Actually, there is one company (I forget the name of them or their product) that does offer an airbag that deploys from the seat belt buckle. This actually could save some lives as the deploying airbag, unlike in a car, would not be hurtling towards you as you hurtled towards it. It would deploy in front of you and help keep you from impacting the seat in front of you and also help lessen the effects of inertia (rapid deceleration trauma - something that kills many airline crash victims). This all, of course, assumes that the aircraft stays relatively in one piece (which many air crashes do not). Something along the lines of the ValuJet crash, or Swissair or TWA 800, would not have benefitted from these airbags but a crash like UAL in SUX, airbags may have saved many additional lives.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

JBirdAV8r

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:18 pm

Hmmm, interesting question......

does anyone know....the rest of the story??  Laugh out loud
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

FltMech9

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:22 pm

I was reading an article in Popular Mechanics about the use of airbags in airliners. I agree there are times when it wouldn't make an ounce of difference but could save lives in other crashes. I think the article said the seat belt airbag device was around $1,000 each. I don't know too many airlines that are gonna rush right out and install these things. I am sure there will be more testing and research done before you see it on your commercial flight.

FltMech9

CcrlR

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:29 pm

They did a test about this on helicopters but this may be good for small planes just like Cirrus and the Parachute. The Discovery channel was talking about this one time before.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

UALPHLCS

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:50 pm

ACA J-41's have air bags in the lap belts in row 1. The bag makes te belt totally unadjustable and if you are a person larger than a petite female your not going to be comfortable, if you are lucky enough to get the thing around you waist. I was lucky enough to be moved when I couldn't get the belt fastened.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

kramri

Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:06 pm

Although an interesting idea, you would be hard pressed to find an airline in the financial position to introduce this gadget. Additionally, I don't think I would like a device like this so low on my lap!

Thrawn

Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:58 pm

Virgin already have lap belt airbags on the A340-600 they are fitted to the bulkhead seats. They open up just in front of the pax to stop them going into the bulkhead.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos