jcxp15

HELP: Anyone Here Work For United Ticketing?

Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:37 pm

Hello. I am addressing this to anyone who works at ticketing for UAL. Let me explain my situation before I go on. About a month ago, we booked 3 seats on UAL via the internet. We submitted their names etc.. and a week ago found out that one of those people will not be able to travel with us. When we called UAL to change the name of his ticket to another, they told us that we would have to pay some outrageous fee to do so. (a couple hundred $$$). I was just wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me in switching the name of one passenger to another, so that we may occupy all the seats on the flights.
BTW - The flights are from EWR to ONT via DEN April 10th, returning the 13th. If anyone can help me, please respond! Thanks!

TG992

RE: HELP: Anyone Here Work For United Ticketing?

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:02 pm

Why is the fee 'outrageous' ? UAL displays all terms and conditions of the fare on the internet before you press the 'submit' button.

'Outrageous' is defined at dictionary.com as 'Grossly offensive to decency or morality.' If UAL hadn't displayed the fare rules, it surely would be outrageous. However, since you were made aware of the fare rules and now want to change your contract with the carrier, it's not outrageous at all! Just suck it up and pay the fee - noone here will help you wriggle out of the rules.

*dismounts soapbox*

-

UALPHLCS

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:09 pm

Sorry I can't help you there. Changing the person traveling is equivalant to buying a new ticket and allowing you to use the old ticket toward the price of the new one. No way around it. Its not simply a UA policy, you would find this rule on any airline.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

gigneil

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:16 pm

Yeah tickets don't seem to be transferrable on any airline.

N

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:22 pm

I think its outrageous that airlines charge a high fee for changing the names on tickets. I don't see why it matters. The airline already has your money, who should they care whose ass sits in their seat? I undestand it's all stated in their policies and contract of carriage and I'm not arguing that, but why is it the policy?

pilottim747

Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:30 pm

I think one reason for the fee is so that a person can't just buy a whole bulk of seats and then sell them later to different people for a higher price.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

ont 737

Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:38 pm

FrequentFlyKid,

Yes, Pilottim747 hit the nail on the head. Basically its just like scalping a ticket to a baseball game. Buy it cheap early on and go sell it high to someone who needs it last minute.

jhooper

Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:43 pm

Because scalpers would be able to buy seats at a low price and then resell them at a REALLY outragous price; that's why.... (and naturally the airline wants to secure these profits for itself and not let middlemen take the profits away from them).
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

jhooper

Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:44 pm

(sorry, I didn't realize two other people beat me to that answer).

Well, you could always ask someone to change their name to the name on the ticket, and then they could use it! LOL  Smile

AroundTheWorld

Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:46 pm

This is where it becomes handy to be part of George Forman's family. How many kids does he have with the same name?

acvitale

Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:33 pm

Spirit Airlines allows you to change the name of a passenger for around $25.00.

A few regionals do as well. I believe that Chalks Ocean Airways and Florida Coastal Airlines do as well.

Remember that the next time you buy. You could have flown Spirit from NYC to LAX and saved money plus been able to change the name when the situation changed.

A C Vitale

L1011

Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:34 am

I did it often before you had to show a photo ID. But now it is impossible, unless the passengers are children. They aren't required to have a photo ID. I remember I asked if I could change a name on a ticket one time on Florida Express. The agent told me it was not necessary. She said, "Who's gonna know?"

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

travatl

Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:39 am

Bob -

Lol...it's true...we used to do it all the time. As long as the user and the original ticket holder were both of the same sex, airlines never knew.

Travis

jhooper

Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:44 am

As I've argued before, the airline's practice of making you show photo ID is an economic measure, not a security one.

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:48 am

Okay, I can by the bulk ticket arguement to an extent. We are talking one ticket here, not one hundred. The airline would catch on if there were 100 tickets bought by Joe Smith. A small is understandable, but hundreds of dollars seems like gouging.

Jhooper, I never thought of it that way, but I'd be inclined to argue. At least up to September 11.

jjbiv

Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:26 pm

ATA no longer requires customers to present ID in order to travel. Yet another way of being "honestly different," I suppose.

joe

TG992

Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:44 pm

ATA no longer requires customers to present ID in order to travel. Yet another way of being "honestly different," I suppose.

joe

In the light of the fact that airlines have a list of 'banned pax' with known associations to the terrorists who destroyed nearly 3000 of your people on September 11, 2001, if that's true about ATA, it would seem to me to be negligent bordering on being criminally irresponsible.

-

jhooper

Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:49 pm

In actuality, there should be no need for the airlines to check ID anymore. The TSA does it now at the security checkpoints.

jjbiv

Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:54 pm

There certainly are methods employed to address the risk posed by customers traveling without ID. Fake IDs are a dime a dozen these days -- just visit any college campus in the states. Yet another case of a well-intentioned rule causing more problems for legitimate customers than the true perpetrators of evil due to the uncanny ability of those persons to bypass any roadblock imposed on their path to terror. Ironic, isn’t it? The more we try the more we seem to fail in some regards.

joe

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos