727LOVER
Topic Author

Why Does Spirit Have So Many Unpainted Aircraft?

Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:04 am

Just a sample:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Arcellana

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Abbott

View Large View Medium

Photo © Don Boyd

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Jenkins

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jonathan Derden

I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

roadrunner165

RE: Why Does Spirit Have So Many Unpainted Aircraft?

Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:09 am

Painting Aircraft Is Expensive... That would be my guess

Adam
NWA ROCKS!!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile
AS Rocks!!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile

acvitale

Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:00 pm

Spirit has agreements with other carriers and groups that keep some of it's aircraft in simple liveries (Happaq Llyod and US Marshalls Service). The biggest factor however is down time. Spirit runs a high utilization schedule that makes taking a plane out of service difficult.

The DC-9s in the hybrid old scheme were removed from service and then as loads and yields improved brought back in to take advantage of the season. Spirit did not have time nor the desire to paint them again as they are a short term solution.

elwood64151

Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:02 pm

Besides, those aircraft look painted to me. All white, but still painted.

Why bother painting a livery when you can be recognized for such a simple, straighforward approach to reducing costs (and therefore the cost of the pax's travel!).

Not really a big fan of Spirit, but not really seeing a problem here.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

AroundTheWorld

Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:17 pm

I think they are plain out of kindness to whomever purchases them after they go under. United should have done this.... *HIDES*

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:55 pm

Spirit it not going bankrupt, they are not going to go under, don't make such an ignorant comment.

Many aircraft are in different liveries due to their various means of acquistion. They are all used MD-80's that in many cases placed into service rather quickly with no time to be painted. They are slowing proceeding to paint their aircraft into their new livery.

AroundTheWorld

Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:00 pm

LOL if you took that comment seriously, you have some issues buddy. Note the *hides* and how often would anyone not mark their stuff out of kindness to whoever owned it next? Get over yourself.

ndege

Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:02 pm

Come to think of it that could be yet another reason for AA having the bare metal look...

BL

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:28 pm

I'm sorry, but I've seen more than enough stupid and rediculous comments on here before, after a while it becomes tough to tell what people really mean, let alone sacarsm.

AroundTheWorld

Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:42 pm

I'll give you that one, there are a lot of comments made with little or nothing to back them up. I think I've seen every airline in the world going bankrupt at some point on this board. I've seen the one I work for mentioned several times...for really no apparent reason that I can find. Just for future use, in my post I try to make it obvious when I'm joking...adding smilies or something similar.
There was another topic recently about planes in bad need of paint jobs...hmmm  Smile heheh