backfire

Concorde Grounded From Oct - Official

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:16 pm

British Airways announced today the retirement of its
Concorde fleet of seven aircraft with effect from the end of October 2003.

The airline said that its decision had been made for commercial reasons with
passenger revenue falling steadily against a backdrop of rising maintenance
costs for the aircraft.

Detailed discussions over an extended period with Airbus, the aircraft's
manufacturer, confirmed the need for an enhanced maintenance programme in the
coming years, the carrier added.

British Airways has decided that such an investment cannot be justified in the
face of falling revenue caused by a global downturn in demand for all forms of
premium travel in the airline industry.

The downturn has had a negative impact on Concorde bookings and is set to
continue for the foreseeable future, according to the airline.

Rod Eddington, British Airways' chief executive, said: 'Concorde has served us
well and we are extremely proud to have flown this marvellous and unique
aircraft for the past 27 years.

'This is the end of a fantastic era in world aviation but bringing forward
Concorde's retirement is a prudent business decision at a time when we are
having to make difficult decisions right across the airline.'

Noel Forgeard, president and chief executive officer of Airbus, said: 'Airbus'
predecessors Aerospatiale and British Aircraft Corporation created Concorde some
40 years ago and we are proud of this remarkable achievement.

'But its maintenance regime is increasing fast with age. Thus, as an aircraft
manufacturer, we understand completely and respect the decision of British
Airways, especially in the present economic climate.

'It goes without saying that until the completion of the very last flight, we
will continue to support the airline so that the highest standards of
maintenance and safety are entirely fulfilled.'

Mr Eddington added that today's announcement is not a direct result of war in
Iraq.

He said: 'While the threat of war and resulting military conflict have had a
further impact on premium travel demand, the decision to retire Concorde has
been based on a long-term revenue and cost trend rather than recent events.

'I would like to place publicly on record my sincere thanks and appreciation to
all our staff, past and present, who have made the Concorde story one of the
most compelling in the history of commercial flight.

'Our pride in the aircraft will never wane and I am determined that we make its
final six months in the sky a time for celebration.'

Retiring Concorde will result in £84m write-off costs for the year ended March

The airline is already planning to make its Concordes available for the public
to view in museums.

To honour the past 30 years of supersonic travel, British Airways will announce
shortly a programme of special events and promotions for air travellers.

For the next few months, British Airways will continue to operate its Concorde
services between London Heathrow and New York JFK and seasonal services to
Barbados.

Jean Leloup

RE: Concorde Grounded From Oct - Official

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:24 pm

Sigh.
Well, at least now the speculation will be over. Is AF soon to follow suit?
My condolences to all the fine A.net members who work with, and dream of, this amazing plane. I am sad now that I will never get to see her fly, but I am sadder for our friends here who depend on this plane for their careers!

Could you please post what your source is for this article, Backfire?
Next flight.... who knows.

vr-hkg

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:25 pm

BBC just stated that both BA and AF have announced that they will be ceasing Concorde operations from the same date.

CPH-R

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:35 pm

So AF has moved their date forward some 4 years? I wonder how huge the demand is going to be for a ticket on the final flight  Smile

I'm wondering if there's going to be a seat left flying into LHR on the retirement day - every spotter there is will probably try to grab the chance to go and see it landing for one last time  Crying  Crying  Crying  Crying  Crying

[Edited 2003-04-10 08:39:58]

OO-AOG

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:42 pm

I'am short of 23.000 FF miles on the 160.000 required in order to get a free ticket on AF, saving since....1997, gosh I hope I will get them before the last flight.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

viscount

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:49 pm

This is one of the saddest days in commercial aviation history. Let's hope that Mr Branson comes in to save the day and is allowed to purchase some of these majestic birds so that we may at least see them flying until the end of their useful service lives.

lmml 14/32

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:06 pm

It is indeed a sad day. In my humble opinion, as much as I respect Branson and his enterprising spirit, I think all Concordes should be retired with the dignity and distinction they deserve. I hardly think that BA or AF would even consider letting anyone else use Concorde. Not now. And I pray that it will never happen.

planespotterx

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:29 pm

I am saddened by the fact that concorde is to retire from service, but look on the brighter side, its been through oil crisis, war, a crash, 911, not many aircraft have lasted as long as this one did, and hopefully like the vulcan, there will be dedicated people who want to buy and fly the plane for public performances, or for NASA to use concorde as a test-bed like the TU-144 possibly??
Lets face facts, we knew concorde would retire soon, because of air fares, and bad events but lets look forward to the future, the new A380 is out soon, and we might have a long and distingushed career with that lovely aircraft.
I am saddened by concordes demise, but out of bad comes good, and even if she never flies again, we still have the plane on flight sim to fly  Smile
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

Skymonster

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:48 pm

Can't see Branson picking them up. Even if there was interest from the likes of Virgin, I can't see BA letting a competitor get hold of them. Eddington said on the radio this morning that he expects that they'll all go to museums - museum directors, put your requests in now if you haven't already!

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

CPH-R

Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:50 pm

Is it too late to start up a museum? Because I sure wouldn't mind getting a Concorde of my own - even if it was only on static display!

Can already imagine me sitting in the left seat and touching all sorts of knobs and dials while making noises to simulate the engine sounds Big grin

fritzi

Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:17 pm

Now its time for me to start sucking up to my father so that I can fly on her before she is layed to rest.

planespotterx

Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:23 pm

oh my god i realised maybe we at EGCC could get concorde, i hope we do, Concorde was a regular visitor at EGCC, and i hope we get one of the marvellous aircraft to put up on the new Static display area thats being proposed near to the viewing area, thatd be great if it does...

United777

Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:25 pm

This is very sad news. It almost flew in service for 30 years.  Sad I'll have to say good job to BA and AF for keeping the Concorde in service for long. Something tells me though they will be back though.

I wonder what they will do with the concordes. It will be a sad sight to see them just being in a desert somewhere. I hope one of them ends up here at the museum of flight in Seattle.

The superstar's who fly them sure are going to miss the three flights across the pond.

Skymonster

Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:29 pm

I wonder what they will do with the concordes. It will be a sad sight to see them just being in a desert somewhere. I hope one of them ends up here at the museum of flight in Seattle

Already been said, above - Eddington at least has said they'll end up in museums. I believe that the Museum of Flight in Seattle has already been promised a Concorde, which would be excellent - a smack in the eye for Boeing who dismally failed to get their SST off the ground!

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

Joni

Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:33 pm

Sad to see that the Concorde is being withdrawn. But with the recent incidents and the crash near Paris it's understandable. Also, the Concorde wasn't exaclty an environmentally responsible design. They're sure to remain an _awesome_ sight in aviation museums for decades to come.

Supersonic commercial flight will probably have to wait for a new fuel - probably hydrogen - before we'll see it again. I hope that happens in my lifetime, and since I'm still in my twenties I think there's a fair chance of that happening.

jhooper

Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:13 pm

It's too bad it couldn't be retired with a perfect safety record. So close...
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Staffan

Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:28 pm

Swedish newspapers are reporting that AF will stop flying Concorde on the 31 of May.

Staffan

backfire

Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:43 pm

AF is to stop flying supersonic on 31 May. I suspect there may be a rash of subsonic charter flights before the phase-out in October.

Granite

Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:47 pm

Hi all

I've been lucky, ignore the bad scans!:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Watt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Watt

Need to get her on digital before they are retired.

Cheers

Gary Watt

gordonroxburgh

Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:38 pm

Backfire

What AF will do is stop flying JFK schedule servcie at the end of May.

What they will do if from May till October they will fly supersonic chater flights. Nobody wants to pay to go on a subsonic Concorde flight! (apart from a small number of positioning flights that people can pay a small amount to say they ahd flown on Concorde)

Hopefully BA will also have some spare a/c capcity to organise a UK tour.

CPH-R

Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:39 pm

Gary,
if that last shot was submitted today, I think it would give the screener a heart attack  Laugh out loud

backfire

Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:45 pm

I'll take your word for it Gordon - I've not checked, but the AF statement I have simply said that it was "stopping supersonic services" from the end of May. Sounds like French non-clarification.

Granite

Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:01 pm

Hi CPH-R

True, I will need to re-scan and re-upload  Smile

Cheers

Gary Watt

USAFHummer

Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:13 pm

This is horrifying news...for years I have dreamed of flying on Concorde...now, the dream is gone...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

whisperingiant

Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:26 pm

I've just sent the post below to "Have Your Say" on BBCi (Concorde's retirement is one of today's topics) but as they NEVER actually publish any comments I send them, I'll pop it on a.net too, as my personal tribute to Concorde!

" In 1977, the first full year of revenue service for Concorde, the type was still a regular visitor to the Oxfordshire skies on calibration and training runs. I will always rememember the day we heard a rumble overhead from our school playground and everyone shouted at once "It's CONCORDE!"

To think that we were only five years old and could identify it! The pride and excitement it generated (that was also the Queen's Silver Jubilee year of course!) was incredible.

As an enthusiast of British civil aircraft, I am just so saddened to know that now, I will never have the opportunity to fly on the king of them all. "

I'd like to add though:
- my dad's late uncle was an engineer on the original Concorde build programme, of which I am most proud (and so's Dad);
- people who have flown on Concorde have been kind to me: I have a complete Air France inflight pack (very expensively presented in a fabric briefcase) and a set of BA inflight materials such as menus and things from immediately after the Landor rebranding. I treasure them;
- I attended the last ever Brize Norton Airshow and was astounded at how beautifully Concorde handled at low speed and altitude; I treasure the memory.

Bye bye, beautiful British bird.

--x-x-wg-x-x--
"So quiet, you can hear the fizz in your drink..."

Rick767

Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:30 pm

There was me planning to organise a Christmas shopping trip to New York this year for my partner and I on Concorde as a surprise...

Unfortunately we only have 2 weeks holiday available in Summer which are already booked, so it looks as though I will now never get a chance to fly on Concorde.  Sad

It will be a sad day when she takes to the skies for the last time.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Klaus

Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:08 pm

This is extremely sad news.  Sad

Even though I understand the economical and environmental reasons, it will still be a profound loss for civil aviation.

My thanks and best wishes to all involved with the program!

RayChuang

Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:12 pm

Now that Concorde will be retired,  Sad what will both AF and BA do to cater to premium passengers?

Here's my guess: expect AF to offer upgraded A340-300's and BA to offer upgraded 777-200ER's with mostly premium class seating and installation of Boeing's Connexion broadband Internet service to be offered free to premium class passengers to compensate on the JFK-LHR and JFK-CDG routes, plus free limousine service to and from JFK, LHR and CDG up to 100 miles (160 km) from the airport (similar to what VS does now with Upper Class passengers). That way, premium passengers can get their business done on the plane and enjoy comfortable flat or near-flat sleeper bed seats on the 7 hour flight eastbound and 9 hour west bound flights.

racko

Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:26 pm

Oh no  Sad

I always dreamed of flying with the concorde, but it seems that I'll get the opportunity to catch a flight. But we'll always remember she as the real queen of the skies.

BestWestern

Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:35 pm

I would like to see an increased frequency - all 777 operation on LHR - JFK, giving improved schedules and increased capacity in F and C class, but maintaining the unprofitable Y capacity on the route. In that way BA improves their business product (increased frequencies), and maintains economy capacity.

All all 777 operation would enable them to reduce maintenance costs at JFK - by focusing on one aircraft type there.

At EWR, BA should increase frequencies to x3 or x4 daily, by downsizing to the 767.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

EGGD

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am

It was my dream to fly on Concorde too, properly.. Now I can't forfill that, I feel kinda empty you know...

Not on one of those 1 hour flights either, on a proper scheduled Concorde flight just to feel what it is like.

Shame that will now never happen  Sad.

planespotterx

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:30 am

makes u wonder though, in the new edition of AIRLINER WORLD it has an article on Concorde, and what people think of the plane, even a bit on Mr Bannister who flies her...
Could BA possibly do "FREE" flights, for anyone who hasnt flown on her, i remember them doing the £10 flights a while ago, maybe do the same again, one more time for a week or longer??
i know its lost revenue, but its cheaper than carrying on and flying the plane, and at least people could say theyve flown on her if its cheaper to fly..
also a final note, concorde being BA and Air France flagship, which aircraft do you think will now take over that role???

backfire

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:39 am

i know its lost revenue, but its cheaper than carrying on and flying the plane

But it's not cheaper than grounding it...

BA isn't a charity. It's a business.

747-451

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:43 am

"....will both AF and BA do to cater to premium passengers..."

In this economy (or lack of one!) will there be any "premium passengers" left?

Though the idea of a 777/A330 fitted out a la MGM Grand Air sounds like a plan. Imagine, luxury seating, an actual lounge and real food.

I suggest:

these seats :
View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Missy Haney

Stretch 8

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:48 am

Farewell beautiful Speedbird! I thought they would keep her flying until 2007 or so.

Let's also offer our support the fellow A.net member GDB, who works as an A&P mechanic on this magnificient machine.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:24 am

Was one of my ambitions to fly on the greatest aircraft ever built one day, it won't happen.  Sad

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Moss

In Arsene we trust!!

go canada!

Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:43 am

Lord Marshall would rather walk over hot coals with his tongue cut out than sell concordes to virgin.

im very sad that concorde is retiring because it was a life time ambition to fly on it.hopefully my aviation musuem will recieve one in the end.

I also think that a concorde should be involved in the T5 building at heathrow in some way.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

EGGD

Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:54 am

I think the idea is, it would be better for BA to sell the remaining seats at a loss while it is still in service, just to fill the plane up and let people that haven't flown on it before 'experience' Concorde.

bmi330

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:11 am

I am very sad I have always wanted to fly on her. BA Are doing concord 1 way for from ??1999 and back on a normal airplane. If anyone wants to give me ??1999 pounds or even better a ticket on her I will do anything and I mean anything to get on her. Hope I get my dream one way or another I can remember seeing her at Glasgow airport on a cold boxing day morning when I was seven and made my dad take me. This is a very sad day for me.

MD-90

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:15 am

Crying  Sad

I am so sad. Flying on the Concorde was one of the first things that I planned to do after I got out of college and had a real job.

At least I got to see Concorde in person at Oshkosh 1994. 1 hour flights over Wisconsin were $700. She was such a loud beast, and looked so proud with her head held high on landing.

f.pier

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:44 am

I think this is one of the saddest day for the civil aviation. The end of an era. I know that sooner or later, this moment had to come, but now I wasn't ready yet.

I have no words, I'd lov to fly in that plane but now I'm sure it will always be a dream.

Very sad.

Leezyjet

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:51 am

THIS IS A CRIME !!!!!  Pissed

We have come a long way since 1969 don't you think. We can't even get a man to the moon anymore (not that we ever did  Big grin ) and don't even have the technology to replace the Dream Machine. Great this 21st Century isn't it !!!.

I just hope they do some kind of special charter flights so the masses will get one last chance to experience what it is like to fly faster than a speeding bullet on the edge of space.

I'll be watching out for any kind of offer they do. Even if it means getting another credit card, I'm determind to fly on her before she dies, after all I got the rest of my life to pay it off, but only a few months to fly on Concorde !!!.

Maybe my idea from another thread a few months ago wasn't such a bad idea - to start a charity to keep at least one flying and sell seats on pleasure flights. I'm sure the BA and AF staff would work on her for free in their spare time just to keep at least one flying - I sure as shit know I would given half a chance.

This is a sad sad day for aviation  Crying

Crying
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

avroarrow

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:55 am

Too bad that it wouldn't be economically feasible to do a farewell tour similar to the Travolta/Qantas goodwill tour. I'd hate to think that a legend like this existed in my time and I would never get a chance to see it. I'd pay $10 just to walk through the thing and watch it arrive and depart. I guess the best I can hope for now is that a museum a reasonable distance from me gets their hands on one so I can see it there.  Sad
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

Leezyjet

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:57 am

Just heard this - thought I'd alter it for this occasion...

She shall not grow old....

As we that are left grow old.....

Age shall not weary her....

Nor the years condemn....

At the going down of the sun......

And in the morning.....

We WILL remember her.

Crying  Crying  Crying  Crying  Crying  Crying  Crying
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

backfire

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:04 am

She shall not grow old...as we that are left grow old

Er. Yes she will. She's a sixties veteran and already older than some of its paying passengers.

Age shall not weary her

Er. Yes it will. In fact it's so weary that BA can't afford the maintenance upgrade to keep it operational. And bits keep falling off it.

Nor the years condemn

It'll be condemned to spend life gathering dust in a museum, you mark my words.

At the going down of the sun...and in the morning...we will remember her

Like people remember the Tu-144 every night and every morning? Bollocks.

rj777

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:06 am

And age to age and heart to heart

Bound by grace and peace

Child of Wonder, Child of God

I'll remember you

Remember Me...

silverfox

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:10 am

As i write she has just gone over my house 19.06 (BST)

rob2507

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:19 am

Entrepreneur Richard Branson's rival airline Virgin Atlantic Airways jumped quickly to exploit the decision, saying it may try to buy BA's Concordes for one pound, the same price the national carrier had originally paid for the sleek jets.
Full text at http://www.news24.com/News24/Finance/Companies/0,,2-8-24_1346143,00.html

[Edited 2003-04-10 20:29:57]

planespotterx

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:27 am

if any other airline bought concorde id be delighted, i mean virgin would make a massive reputation if it did, think about it, when was the last time you heard BA advertising concorde flights on TV or Radio??? if Virgin got it, it'd make a comeback, bcos any other airline would claim to have the worlds only supersonic jet, maybe its not doomed afterall???
perhaps an American airline may buy it, unlikely but makes you wonder back in the 70's when they wanted to design an SST for their own airlines...
Id have no problem Concorde going to another airline, afterall its only a plane, and its not as if BA built the thing themselves.
if its designed to fly another 30 years then let it!!
Ill buy the thing myself if noone else does (im serious now) and run flight tours, and packages for a fixed price so others can enjoy the experience

Leezyjet

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:30 am

Oh I forgot to add that Rob, I was too busy wiping tears from my eyes  Crying

Heard that at work today, that he had offered to buy them. I wouldn't be surprised if a more realistic offer come from his direction. He's wanted them for years, so much so he has a model of one in VS colours in his office apparently.

Sad

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos