STT757
Topic Author

Gordon Bethune, CLE, DIA, UAL

Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:16 am

I love Gordon, me and Gordon would be best freinds. He Cracks me up, LOL Smile

There's substantial information on a CO plan to move operations from CLE to DIA.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/cr/cda/article_print/1,1250,DRMN_4_1877320,00.html
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

cloudy

RE: Gordon Bethune, CLE, DIA, UAL

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:44 pm

If there was not a war on now, Gordon would be pilloried in the press just like Trent Lot was. The "United is HIV positive" comment will get him in trouble with all kinds of interest groups involved in AIDS issues as well as people who stand to lose if United falls. Bethune might want to keep in mind that an AIDS diagnosis is not necessarily a death sentence anymore. There are drugs available now that can keep many patients alive more or less indefinitely. AIDS is slowly becoming more of a chronic, managed disease like diabetes than the certain killer it once was.

Bethune says many things that need to be said and others are afraid to say. But he needs to be careful. I'm sure that many Continental employees and customers have AIDS or know someone who does. Such insensitivity and blatant ignorance could be costing him more than he realizes, even on days like today when the war dominates the news.

cdfmxtech

Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:56 pm

I'm not saying this because I work for Continental, or because I like Gordon...
but why is everyone so doggone sensitive.
So what he referred to United metaphorically as HIV positive.

sllevin

Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:28 pm

What Bethune said is inexcusable. Period, end of subject. It's no different that making racial comments about Jews, African Americans, women, etc. etc.

He should step down.

Steve

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:07 pm

What Bethune said is inexcusable. Period, end of subject. It's no different that making racial comments about Jews, African Americans, women, etc. etc.

He should step down.

Care for a little cheese with your whine?  Insane

Gordon's outspoken. Deal with it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

thomasphoto60

Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:39 pm

Gordos da man........! Smokin cool

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

ual777contrail

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:47 pm

gordo is a f#$%kin loon, i caNT wait till UAL shoves this crap in his face. he is a dick.

iu

Markus

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:57 pm

As a former Continental and Continental Express employee...
Gordon's an "ok" guy. I had the chance to meet him when getting a profit sharing check back in the day. He runs a tight ship and says it like he sees it. My favorite quote of his is, ""We're a stupid industry led by stupid people." Unfortunately, he has the tendency to say things before thinking about the repercussions. He also has a tendency to use the press to make a point by making a bold statement and using a 'funny' expression...see above posts. His comments about Continental going bankrupt soon after 9/11 are a prime example. His 'knee-jerk' reactions are notorious. Overall he's doing a pretty good job managing the unmanageable.
Cheers,
Markus

Work smart
Not hard

speedport

Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:04 pm

I suggest Gordo Buffoon forget about Denver and set up a hub operation in San Francisco. His big mouth will get him plenty of attention, and plenty of people in his terminal. Only they won't be there to buy tickets, they will be there to protest a totally ignorant man who wants to be a player outside his league.

thomasphoto60

Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:04 pm

Say, let's drive the Euros and lefties nuts and put Gordo on the Republican ticket for '08'  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up. They think they hate Bush now, just imagine if Gordo were to take up residence at 1600 in some 5 years time!

"Gordo will be great in '08'!"  Big thumbs up

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

akelley728

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:49 pm

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:33 am

Gordon Buffoon like to poniticate on what he would LIKE to happen as if it where absolute truth. He hasn't the faited clue about UA's position. and on top of that tried to make light of it with an off color joke. You all just have to realize that Bethune is all talk, he's got no substance.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

DIA

Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:48 am

If UAL folds. . .USAirways will not set-up at Denver. Continental has a good chance of setting up at Denver with some re-wiring. . .

What is correct. . ."If they had a viable economic alternative to Cleveland, they would take it in a minute. But they won't come to Denver at the current cost structure."

Sally Covington's words are gold. Trust me. Big grin "Our costs may be higher than other airports because we are a newer airport and carry higher debt, but the ability to make profits is equally higher," said Sally Covington, DIA's director of marketing."

DIA
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

UBBA Pilot

Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:54 am

Gordon is the man. He definately pulls no punches. I had the pleasure of spending nearly an hour with him last January. Although some of you may say he speaks without thinking, I feel it's more that he speaks without caring if some whiny brat is going to get upset and cry to mommy.

So the man said something that pissed a few people off. At least he had the good sense to say that "United is infected with SARS." Now that would be an extrememly insensitive statement. Plus it could be taken the wrong way and some people might think that their aircraft are carriers of the disease.

It may not have been the brightest of statements, but I think people should get over it and move on.

Bob

CactusA319

Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:08 am

You all just have to realize that Bethune is all talk, he's got no substance.

Altough I think he went a little over the line with the HIV comment, you can't argue with this man's track record. He's a true leader who speaks his mind, no BS. Of course whenever you take the "pull no punches" approach you're likely to piss more than a few people off. But I'd be willing to bet that he could probably turn around the mess that is United Airlines right now. Too bad for UA that he's on the other side.

STT757
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:34 am

UAL (after Goodwin left) tried desperately to hire Gordon, he didn't want the job, they next tried to hire CO's former # 2 (the man who helped turn CO around) Greg Breneman, he didn't want the job either.

UAL had to hire someone from outside the industry, I think Glenn Tilton is doing a good job but the fact that no one from within the airline industry even considered taking the UAL job speaks volumes.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

777gk

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:34 am

You all just have to realize that Bethune is all talk, he's got no substance.

Thanks to Gordon, I still have a job and have not had to deal with the significant pay cuts that the flight crews of other airlines have been burdened with. Maybe I'm not making as much as they were prior to 9/11, but I value consistency, and that's what Gordon has delivered. If a leader can give me a good place to work and job security, well, that's really all I can ask for.

Gordon is the best CEO in the industry today, without a doubt. Even if his mouth can get in his way sometimes, he always gets the job done right, and for that I have tremendous respect for him.

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:05 am

My statement is ment in this regard:

Gordon Bethune has done yoemans work pulling CO from the lower ranks of airlines int he Late eithie and early nineties to the airline it is today. Co was a terrrible airline for years before he turned it around.

However, having given credit where credit was due, Bethune doen't know diddly about UAL and its problems. He can guess, but he really doesn't know.

Secondly, asking him to comment on UA's situation is like asking the Iraqi Information Minister about the state of the war in Iraq. He has his own agenda. He would love to see UA fall. Its in his interest to downplay positive news and trumpet any bad news. With UA having so much good news recently its no wonder he has to resort to name calling and phantom problems.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

DIA

Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:10 am

Just noticed that in the article, it says that CO was the dominant carrier at Stapleton in the 1980s. . .this isn't true. UA had always been the dominant carrier at Stapleton. At Stapleton, UA was #1, CO was #2 and the old Frontier was #3. That never changed.

DIA
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:35 pm

>>Care for a little cheese with your whine?

Gordon's outspoken. Deal with it.<<

Not when he is reinforcing stereotypes that are dead wrong. Linking HIV positive and death is not something that could be called outspoken. Outspoken is calling UA management 'idiots' or saying that the company is as strong as tissue paper. It is similar to saying United management are women, and should go back to the kitchen, or that they are black, and too dumb to run an airline. You just can't say stuff like that.

Markus

Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:51 am

777gk,
I'm happy to here that your job was spared during the post 9/11 bloodbath of furloughs and layoffs. Things were not so pretty on the management side. I couldn't 'flow back' and take some smaller station supervisors job when mine was eliminated. The COEX station training department was reduced from 5 to 1 person and we lost the best HR director in the business (Mitchell Fortson now with MidAtlantic Airways-USAir EX)...not to mention most of the recruiters. About 1/3 of the station supervisors were either demoted or let go...it was ugly. You may credit Gordo for saving your job, but that was only because of a seniority number...remember that. Keep in mind that if the $hit really hits the fan CAL won't have a lot to work with. They have no capital...all the a/c are leased. The only a/c that CAL has owned in the past 7 years were the Beeches and they were "sold" to 3M down in Florida. So how do you cut costs...by reducing capacity (ie. add RJs) and reduce staffing. Not such a rosy picture. At the moment, ExpressJet is keeping CAL afloat. This is why CAL will not release the remaining shares of XJT.

I'm not trying to sound bitter...just realistic. Gordon didn't save anyone's jobs. He merely adjusted things in an effort to stay alive. Just ask an XJT pilot out on the street because a CAL 73FO took his seat after flowing-back. I'm just glad I'm with a better run company now...go Fred Smith.

Cheers,
Markus

Work smart
Not Hard

ual777contrail

Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:41 am

STT757,
Gordo couldn't run OUR airline if he tried, none of the employees would support him. He is very outspoken and yes, even pulls no punches, but you have to wonder if your a CO employee if one day he'll put his whole leg in his mouth and devour the foot. He is an ass and his comments speak for themselves, to make a comment about UAL and HIV is pure ignorance, but then again his ego was inflated when he turned a crappy airline into a competitor.

ual 777 contrail

william

Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:37 am

Political correctness run AMUK! I am glad I live in the real world when a comment like that is said and heard and 99.9 % of the public goes on with their daily lives. UAL has more problems to worry about than what a CAL CEO said. Yes,get over it.

HIV positive does not mean you will die,especially with the advancement of medication. With that said,those concerned only have to look to the continent of Africa where HIV have ravaged countries with estimates of 20% of the population being infected.

klwright69

Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:02 am

DIA, for awhile in the 80's CO was the dominant carrier in the 80's. I do not have the statistics in front of me but remember reading the statistics in the Rocky Mountain News at that time.

flashmeister

Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:01 am

It's a shame that a comment like that passed Gordon's 'inappropriate' filter before he said it. It points to a little bit of small-dog syndrome, I'm afraid. Yes, Gordon has done incredible things at Continental, but that doesn't excuse him from being tactful. No epic business leader ever got there by shooting his mouth off... including St. Bethune.

Plus...doesn't he realize the percentage of homosexual employees he has? Way to pump up morale, Gordo!

Alpha 1

Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:11 pm

Gordon made a poor choice of words, but, as usual, people want to make a federal case out of it, instead of just ignoring it and going on with their lives.

Having said that, he may be right about UA. Time will tell. He's not shy saying things about competitors. But he usually isn't saying it to just blow smoke.

As for DIA/CLE, nothing is imminent in CLE right now. CO is working with the city to restructure costs and to lower landing fees; CO is increasing service in CLE through XJT and Commutair. Unitl the Bush Recession ends, you won't see any mainline expansion. But ANY carrier is not going to throw away millions in investing in a hub, especially during hard economic times-and especially to move to a new location that is just as, if not more, expensive.

CLE has some time. No decision will take place on CLE at least till the first quarter next year, I have a hunch. IF the economy picks up, there's probably nothing wrong with CLE for CO. Hell, there's very few, if any hubs with the majors that's making a profit right now, I'd imagine.

And UAL777contrail, for someone who "couldn't run our airline", your airline has been chasing awful hard after him for years now. Maybe if you had a CEO like Gordon, you might not have one foot on the banana peel right now. If he could turn around the nightmare CO was in the early 90's, he could at least give a run at turining around the nightmare at UA.

MarkTPA

Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:26 am

Gordon Bethune is a genius at what he does. All of the United employees are just upset that he didn't come to save them. If it weren't for Gordon, Continental would not be where it is today.
Co has no plans to make DEN a hub once again. The landing fees are way to high. Of course when UA liquidates, we will pick up some of the routes the UA has, but never again will DEN be a hub for CO.

fanoftristars

Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:52 am

I think it is pathetic that people would take offense to his comment. What disease should Gordon use to put UA's problems into perspective? He was obviously not trying to be "racist" as some of you seem to think he was. And what the hell does his gay employees have to do with any of this? Can only gay people claim to have their lives affected by the HIV virus? That's more of a stereo type than gordo's comment! Everyone is suceptible to this disease.

I think the metaphore is fitting. Quoted from above, "There are drugs available now that can keep many patients alive more or less indefinitely." Let's hope that UA can get some of these drugs to prolong its life (at least until the end of June, when I will be safely home from Hawaii courtesy of UA). GOOD LUCK UA WITH YOUR TREATMENT!

Life is to short to take offense regarding a comment such as this. Live life and RELAX!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:10 am

Fanoftristars, I don't mind people taking offense-he shouldn't have framed what he said in that way, but people blow things WAY out of proportion, and such is the case here. People need to take measured responses to things, instead of making federal cases out of them.

Tango-Bravo

Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:49 am

Gordon tells it like it is when he states "We're a stupid industry led by stupid people." However, I would hesitate to use the word "led" when referring to U.S. airline management. By that term it is implied that there is leadership in the industry when, in reality, the only U.S. major airlines having leaders as CEOs are WN, HP and CO.

Much as I respect Gordon Bethune for his outspokeness and leadership skills, I am left to ponder the following question:

Since Gordon recognizes the truth that the U.S. full-service majors are "a stupid industry led by stupid people," why is it that the airline led by Gordon persists in copycatting most if not all of the stupid things that have put (and kept) their full-service competitors at acute risk of ultimate liquidation?

klwright69

Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:05 am

Alpha_1, very good post as usual. Just an additional comment on what you said though. You said the "Bush recession." However the economy was slowing before Bush even took office.

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:44 am

It was slowing, Klwright69, it wasn't in this full-fledge retreat like it is now. I stand by my statement.  Smile

fanoftristars

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:16 am

Not to make this a presidential debate, but Alpha1 you must "enlighten" us on how bush is responsible for this recession...

The effects of any president on the economy take anywhere from 2 to 4 years to affect the economy, and by that statement, we could easily call this the Clinton recession. Nice try though...
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:34 am

The effects of any president on the economy take anywhere from 2 to 4

He's been in office 2 years, 3 months.  Smile

And the economy wasn't in this bad of shape even a yeare ago.

It's his recession. The Rush Limbaughs of the world can keep blaming every woe to man on Bill Clinton, but that can't do that with any credibility any longer.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled topic.....

Markus

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:46 am

Fanoftristars,
You are absolutely correct...I'm not a Republican, nor a Democrat for that matter, so this is NOT a political comment. Anyone who has taken even basic college Macroeconomics would know that it takes around 4 years for the actions of a presidential administration to change the economy. Also, anyone who blames the economy on a president is inadvertently pleading ignorance. The president plays only a small role in establishing economic ebbs and flows. This is not a Clinton recession either. In the capitalistic free-market economy of the US the following people make the largest impact on the economy...
1. the press
2. market analysts
3. Alan Greenspan
4. The American people and their willingness to spend $$

Cheers,
Markus

Work smart
Not hard

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:50 am

Laxflyer, please inform us for whom that enlightened and intelligent post was intended for, OK? You obvious put a lot of time and thought into it, and I think we deserve clarification for such pontifications.

Thank you.

ual777contrail

Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:13 pm

alpha1,
nice to see you are such a huge gordo nut, no he couldn't help us.
he turned CO around? Wow that was amazing.
try a company like AA or UA of our size he would be in the same state the rest of our CEO'S have been in. I don't dispute the fact he has done wonders for sucha lame ass airline but one point you need to remember is people will ALWAYS think he is an ass because he doesn't know when to keep his hole closed.

if he had half the integrity of most of the ceos, who not only run bigger and more successful airlines then he would be a lot bigger than what he is today, and I don't mean his ego.

and another point BUSH inherited these problems from bubba, he has done a wonderful job. Just be thankful gore isn't in office, but then again we wouldn't be at war, just staring down the barrel of a weapon of mass destruction.

ual 777 contrail

ual777contrail

Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:20 pm

RICHARD BRANSON, that is a cool CEO. And he is also repected, know what i mean alpha? and you repect GORDO? SAD, isnt it.

ual 777 contrail

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:28 pm

STT757,
Gordo couldn't run OUR airline if he tried

Unfortunately, neither can Glenn Tilton.  Insane
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

swaluvfa

Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:33 pm

There is no question that Gordon Bethune is a good CEO and very knowledgeble about this industry. He saved Continental Airlines and turned that airline around very quickly and gained a very supportive employee group.

BUT, there is a certain way to act (professionalism) when you create something good like the Continental today. Gordon's attitiude backed by his words make him look like a child. I mean, why rub it in EVERYONE"S face that your airline is doing "ok" while the rest are going down the tube. That is just plain MEAN and that comment about United and HIV was just WRONG. I don't care a bit if he apologized.

Yeah I know Continental LOVES him for this, and aviation enthusiasts LOVE him for this, but he is nothing but a cocky person who wants to rub things in. On order to be a respectable leader you need to have class and tact. Two things that Mr. Bethune does NOT have.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:31 pm

BUT, there is a certain way to act (professionalism) when you create something good like the Continental today.

It's a bit amusing when someone from WN gives a lecture on professionalism.

Sung or rapped any preflight safety demos lately?  Big grin

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:38 pm

try a company like AA or UA of our size he would be in the same state the rest of our CEO'S have been in.

Not to be freudian, but size doesn't matter. AA and UA suffer from several things CO suffered from for years; 1. Poor management; 2. Lack of direction; and 3. Terrible employee-management relations. Gordon and Greg organized the company, gave it some direction, and then told the employees-YOU know best how to make things work, go to it. That's what turned around CO. Not that it's twice as small as UA or AA, but that it found direction, and gained the trust of the employees.

and another point BUSH inherited these problems from bubba, he has done a wonderful job.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Yeah, he's done a wonderful job in two years fucking up the economy to the point where it won't recover for a decade. He's taking this country to hell in a handbasket. Another blinded soul. But if we're to continue this, start a thread on non-av about how wonderful Bush is, and I"ll rip you to shreds on there.  Wink/being sarcastic

ual777contrail

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:49 pm

If that's how you feel aplha1,
I do in fact think that turning a small piece like CO around was hard try UA or AA. That is why it is funny that people on this forum think they have the answers to all our problems. Your little 1 2 3 to our problems is so right on, we have had very poor management and terrible relations with the top hats.

as far as bush, we all have our own views. You must be a democrat.

ual 777 contrail

fanoftristars

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:56 pm

OK Alpha1,

I'll ask again... Please tell us how bush has f-ed up the economy. I want specific actions that he took as a president that caused the economy to be in the state that it is in. You obviously know little about the economy and how it works.

Maybe you've forgotten a sad little day, sept 11th? And how it deystroyed consumer confidence to the point of no return? Or maybe you've forgotten how the economy was beginning to slow even before Bush took office? Do yourself a favor and learn about how the economy REALLY works. Markus has posted a great bit of info that you would do yourself well to study a bit. That way you won't sound so ignorant when your flaming around your hate for Bush. You don't have to like Bush, but you don't have to make yourself look dumb by blaming him for the economy. In the mean time, my buddies here at work will be laughing our heads off at your lack of understanding of basic economics. It's funny that you're in the 36-45 range in age, yet speak of the economy in the 7-15 year old range.

Try to remember those college econ courses (if you went to college)!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

777236ER

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:58 pm

UAL, if United have people like you working for them then no wonder they're in their current problem!

You like Branson, who runs an airline that's smaller than CO, but you hate Bethune, who you chastise because he "only" made CO successful, and couldn't have done it with larger airlines?

Get over yourself. Whatever else he may be, Bethune is probably the best airline CEO in the US right now. CO was in appaling shape, Bethune turned it round. UA and AA just coasted along in the late 90s, while CO actually progressed and ensured it trimmed costs and kept the management structure tight. Now look what's happened. Economic problems have sent UA and AA down the pan, whereas CO is comparitivly flying.

And he is also repected, know what i mean alpha?

He's respected in that he's got balls, and he did set up a good airline. He's still a loud-mouthed prat who hasn't much say in the day to day running of Virgin any more.

if he had half the integrity of most of the ceos, who not only run bigger and more successful airlines then he would be a lot bigger than what he is today, and I don't mean his ego.

Wow, integrity. That stands for so much doesn't it? So he's outspoken. So what? He's a good CEO! More successful airlines? Name an international US airline that has been turned around as successfully. Name an international US airline that is in as good shape as CO is in now. Certainly not your own beloved UA! Delta is the only one that comes close.

one point you need to remember is people will ALWAYS think he is an ass because he doesn't know when to keep his hole closed.

Wow. He still runs his airline better then your senior management runs yours...
Your bone's got a little machine

ual777contrail

Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:19 am

you like branson who runs an airline that's smaller than CO, but you hate bethune, who you chastise because he "only" made CO successful, and couldn't have done it with a larger airline.

yes, I do like branson, I don't like bethoon because he's an outspoken ass, he slams airlines like he is god. First off he couldn't run a lager airline and turn it around like he did little guys CO.

bethune is probably the best airline CEO in the us right now

I don't dispute that he is a good CEO, he just doesn't know when to keep his mouth closed. He is like a major league ball player, he may be the best home run hitter but if he has an ego and shows it? it tarnishes his image and you over look his abilities to hit the long ball.

wow, he still runs an airline better than your senior management runs yours

that is all you have on that? You need to pull it out long enough to breath. Anyone can see we have problems right now, and the reason he isn't running our airline when we pursued him is because HE knows he couldn't run us. He would have his I am god/airline CEO persona of him tarnished like crazy when people would say, damn gordo, you turned a loser into a competitor why couldn't you do it with UAL? Because he can turn small carriers around but then again like I said before we wouldn't support him. I speak for myself not UAL, but my comments are based on my own opinions and the opinions of many who have sat around the round table and discussed such topics as gordo running UAL.

plus: this is just a discussion board that means NOTHING, don't get to bent out of shape 777236.

ual 777 contrail

747-451

Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:46 am

Mr. Bethune shouldn't be so "imperious" with his commentary, not in this economic environment. Fortunes are made or lost in moments now aren't they.

First it was the Asian economic downturn. Then came 9/11 and the US downturn. Now it is continuing economic problems and SARS. The economic problems are a challenge. 9/11 and Sars were "out of the blue" suprises and some airlines (Continental for instance) are in better condition and others not. If the problems we have continue for a long period, all the airlines will face a pinch, no matter how "good" you are....

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:19 am

the reason he isn't running our airline when we pursued him is because HE knows he couldn't run us

Ual777contrail-

Seriously...what color is the sky in your world?

Why is it that you can't accept the fact that UA has a VERY strong chance of ending up as a footnote in aviation history, like EA, PA, and BN?

You love to attack CO every chance you get, and disregard their CEO's amazing track record, looking for any minute flaw or problem you can find, yet you overlook problems at UA that make the Grand Canyon look like a pothole.

Gordon Bethune and Greg Brenneman were each approached by UA's BOD to take the reins at UA. And both of them wisely said, "You've gotta be f***in' kidding me!!!" I can't say I blame them; it's the equivalent of trading in your rebuilt and restored '66 Corvette for a beat up '69 Dodge Dart.

Eventually, Glenn Tilton jumped on over, and now he's realizing what predicament he's gotten himself into.

We all know you're scared for your company, but your stunning sense of denial is eclipsed only by the (former) Iraqi Information Minister!

777236ER

Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:08 am

First off he couldn't run a lager airline and turn it around like he did little guys CO.

Little airline? CO is probably worth MORE than UA is right now...

And how do you know? He couldn't do much worse than the current management at AA and UA.

don't dispute that he is a good CEO, he just doesn't know when to keep his mouth closed

Hang him!!

He is like a major league ball player, he may be the best home run hitter but if he has an ego and shows it? it tarnishes his image and you over look his abilities to hit the long ball.

Personally, I wouldn't give a fuck what he said, as long as he played well and helped my team go from a bankrupt small fish to a large international airline with amazing financial health, all things being considered.

and the reason he isn't running our airline when we pursued him is because HE knows he couldn't run us

Maybe the reason he isn't running your airline is because he realised there are too many stuck up pricks like you at UA to really make the airline worth while.

I speak for myself not UAL, but my comments are based on my own opinions and the opinions of many who have sat around the round table and discussed such topics as gordo running UAL.

You're just as outspoken as Bethune! Stop being so hypocritical. You bitch about him for having a loud mouth, whereas you're just as bad, if not worse.
Your bone's got a little machine

heavymetal

Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:11 am

This is like strike 2.9 as far as I'm concerned.

I once admired this man. Now I see he's nothing but a hypocritical, power drunk bore with no imagination.

Kinda like another Texan.