Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:02 pm

Barometer

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfds

Sabena 690

RE: What Does QNH Mean?

Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:02 pm

Isn't that for the transponder code?

No idea otherwise...

EDIT: now I remember: hasn't this something to do with the barometer? Because they say a lot QNH 1013...

[Edited 2003-04-12 13:03:48]

LYNDON

Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:04 pm

Think its something to do with the air pressure and it affects an aircrafts altimeter ?

OPNLguy

Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:18 pm

Q-codes have been around for awhile, as you can see.

http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes#qaa

QNE and QNH are listed towards the end of the first section.

When ATC gives an aircraft its QNH (expressed in inches of mercury here in the US, or hectopascals elsewhere), the crew then sets their aircraft altimeters to that setting, so that their displayed altitude is with reference to that airport.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dc-10 levo

Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:34 pm

Oh, thanks for the help.

(I've even heard it whilst listening to police aswell, but I think thats just QNE.)

DC-10

Skymonster

Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:40 pm

The value given after the QNH (e.g. East Midlands QNH one-zero-one-three) is the value that has to be set on the airplane's altimeter to make the altimeter display the aircraft's altitude above mean-sea-level. If the East Midlands QNH is one-zero-one-three, setting 1013 on the airplane's altimeter whilst the airplane is on the ground at East Midlands will result in the altimeter showing around 300 feet depending on exactly where the airplane is at EMA, as 300 feet is the approximate elevation of East Midlands Airport.

QNH has to be set on the altimeter because the air pressure at a specific location varies day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, and this affects the altimeter's reading. To ensure that all airplanes are using the same setting and reference point, all airplanes operating in or near an airfield set the airfield's local QNH.

Setting QNH makes an altimeter show altitude above mean sea level, whereas setting QFE (which you will also have heard) makes an altimeter show height above the airfield elevation - in the UK, QFE is usually used for landings so that the altimeter reads zero on touchdown, QNH is used for flying around the general area as pressure can vary from area to area and this ensures that everyone is using the same value.

At East Midlands, the QNH will usually be around 10 higher than the QFE (e.g. QNH 1013, QFE 1003) as each hectopascal is the equivalent of approximately 30 feet - the total difference of 10 hectopascals represents 300 feet, which again is the approximate height of EMA above sea level.

Hope this helps,

Andy (private pilot flying from East Midlands from time to time!!!)
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

tsentsan

Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:45 pm

If you want to know what QNH stands for, it means... Question Nil Height. This goes back to older times where a/c wanted to know what was the pressure at 0 height which was the airport elevation.

NO URLS in signature

dc-10 levo

Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:04 pm

Thanks guys!

DC-10

avroarrow

Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:17 pm

And to think, over here we just call it the altimeter setting when dealing with ATC and ATIS.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

timz

Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:13 am

I think Skymonster covered it; Tsentsan was the one that got careless.

Snoopy

Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:42 am

"If you want to know what QNH stands for, it means... Question Nil Height. This goes back to older times where a/c wanted to know what was the pressure at 0 height which was the airport elevation."

Just to be picky  Smile

QNH actually gives the air pressure at sea-level. If you set this on your altimeter, your altimeter will show the airfield altitude when you are on the tarmac.

If you set QFE, which is the air pressure at airport altitude (Field Elevation), your altimeter will show "0" on the tarmac.

lamyl_hhlco

Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:45 pm

it's simply the athmospheric pressure above sea level, equivalent as Altimeter pressure in US.

tsentsan

Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:52 pm

Apologies, muz have mixed them up somewhere  Sad But thanks good for learning Big grin
NO URLS in signature

MarkTPA

Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:16 am

I think the guys above covered it well. It is another way of stating the Altimeter setting. I hear it all the time when I fly into NAS or FPO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos