kaitak

CAL Ownership Structure - A Cause Of Accidents?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:51 am

Just having a quick breeze through the Yahoo aviation news (always worth a look) and came across this:

Analysts have said the awkward shareholding structure of China Airlines - which says it is a private company, though it remains under government influence - is the key reason for the company's safety record, one of the worst in Asia. Last May's accident was the 10th fatal crash since 1970.

Huh?

Surely it's more to do with cockpit discipline and a greater willingness to take chances and regard the contents of the ops manual as "suggestions" rather than mandatory? Can't see how the carrier's owner structure would impinge on safety so directly. After all, the crashes they've had have been due to pilot error or (in the case of the 742 a while back) structural failure.

There's analysts for you, though . . .

Andreas

RE: CAL Ownership Structure - A Cause Of Accidents?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:54 am

I'm afraid we need more info on that one. What is written in your post does fit many carriers, in Europe, in Asia...for example many European carriers with a brilliant safety record are private companies under heavy influence of their respective governments.

I know it's only VfB but I like it!

alexchao

RE: CAL Ownership Structure - A Cause Of Accidents?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:39 am

Even though China Airlines has a bad safety record, I don't think that means they don't have a regard for safety or the OPS manual.

I guess some people in Taiwan feel that China Airlines has been supported so much by the government in the past. Under those circumstances, the company developed a different type of culture. For example, CI originally used a large portion of air force pilots.

Just my two cents.

-alexchao

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos