petazulu

Seaplanes On NYC's East River?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:51 am

From my apartment yesterday evening I swear I saw a seaplane (8 seater?) on finals to a landing on the East River! I know I haven't seen that in a long time.

Around 30th street and the FDR drive, there is an old seaplane airport. But someone told me it had been shut down due to traffic issues or other problems sometime when I was a child (Early 80's?).

So when I saw this plane I was excited. Seaplanes would be ideal transport means for some people especially in the summer. Think of trips to the Hamptons, Jersey Shore, Rhode Island, Cape Cod, Martha Vineyard, etc. for all the jet-set types.

What was I seeing? I did not actually see the plane touchdown as it was out of my site- but it defintely was decending. I t was flying from the Triboro Bridge heading south.

ybacpa

RE: Seaplanes On NYC's East River?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:28 am

http://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/909135/

The gist of it is it is a shuttle between 24th street and the Hamptons.

SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

petazulu

RE: Seaplanes On NYC's East River?

Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:41 pm

Thank You.

Very mysterious...
I am surprised there is not more ctivity at a seaplane port in NYC. Think of all the places that would be so convenient from Midtown for any senior executive. (Boston, Philly, summer spots (too many to list), Albany?).

Guess a chopper works too though and is a little more flexible.