KL808
Topic Author

LAX-NRT On AA?

Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:58 am

Hey guys I just noticed on AA.com that all LAX / KLAX), USA - California">LAX to AA), Japan">NRT / RJAA), Japan">AA), Japan">NRT bookings are going through JL.

I thought that AA was going to start this service on the 14th of June.

What happened? Has this been delayed again? Or has it finally been scrapped due to problems in the far east and the airline industry here?

drew

[Edited 2003-04-15 20:00:01]
AMS-LAX-MNL

aa61hvy

RE: LAX-NRT On AA?

Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:05 am

My guess is it never "took off" because of the economy.
Go big or go home

GARUDAROD

Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:18 am

Last I heard it has been postponed until Spring 2004...
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

FlyPNS1

Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:50 am

GARUDAROD is correct. AA has decided to delay the flight until April 2004 due to weak demand.

flyboy7974

Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:14 am

demand has nothing to do with this route, our neighbor in l.a. is senior c/s for aa in lax, and she said loads in the first months were pushing 60-70%. they pulled the 777 that was suppose to fly the route for govt charters overseas due to the war. govt charters right now are good money for most airlines not doing so well.

dutchjet

Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:53 am

AA's interest in operating LAX-AA), Japan">NRT was always a bit strange to me, but the start up date of this new service was first delayed from April to June, I believe, during the weeks leading up to the war in Iraq, and was recently again postposed from the June 2003 start up date until somtime in 2004 (spring is likely). Hopefully by then, the world economies will pick up and the SARS crisis will be behind us, as well as some type of peace in the mid-east.

There are conflicting rumors as to how the bookings were on this new AA route, some say they were very, very light, others say they were OK but the mix of traffic was off, with mostly low-fare leisure traffic. (It would make sense that most of the advanced reservations were tourists, low-cost seats fill up much earlier on.) AA probably decided it simply is not the time to start up a route such as this, especially with all of the competition between LAX and Japan.

DL recently walked away from this route, after years of trying to make LAX-AA), Japan">NRT - I really cant think of why AA will have better luck than DL.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:46 am

American has postponed the route launch until Spring 2004. It was originally slated to begin in April 2003 and then the date was moved to June 2003. It is now postponed.

eta unknown

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:20 pm

Hmmm... AA will have to change their LAX-AA), Japan">NRT billboard at LAX again!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos