Squigee
Topic Author

Westjet (apparently) First To Use Dual JetBridges?

Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:51 pm

Hi everyone,

This was a big story in Calgary today:

CALGARY, AB, April 23 /CNW/ - WestJet and DEW Engineering celebrated the
introduction of an innovative new product today, and the first of its kind in
Canada. A dual boarding bridge, also known as an over-the-wing bridge, is the
first of its kind built in North America, and is now operational at the
Calgary International Airport. This bridge permits faster boarding and
deplaning of guests by allowing them to enter and exit the aircraft from both
the forward and aft doors directly from the airport terminal.

Full story: http://www.newswire.ca/releases/April2003/23/c3598.html

As well, several news stories I have heard today have said that they are the first in North America and will be trying to sell this idea to other carriers. However, I recall a Popular Science article months ago where this idea was discussed, and that Southwest was already using this new system.

What gives?
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

RE: Westjet (apparently) First To Use Dual JetBridges?

Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Erm. I believe they have these for 747s at JFK, so it wouldn't be the first in norht America. Fascinating nonetheless.

md-87er

Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:46 pm

Nice picture, but they are far away from being the first to use dual bridges.

1967:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matt Kluck

And over the wing-bridges were installed at the old IAB at JFK (now demolished), but I never saw a picture of them in actual use; for 747.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Bess

AMS is still having them

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Snoep

and I remember also, as mentioned, that Southwest was trying them too a few years ago.

So, not a new story at all!!

MxCtrlr

Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:08 pm

BA at MIA in the late 1970's and early 1980's used a dual bridge set-up on their night MIA-LHR flights on the E-Satellite Concourse, so, no, they aren't the first in North America to do this.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

qantas747

Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:56 pm

Dual bridges are all over the place in australia and Asia!! mainly used for 747's, but now QF decided they would uses them for domestic 330's. Clearly not a "new" thing....... maybe Canada is lagging behind? I'm sure they're not., but anyway, the photo looks like a 320 or 737 is using it?, is this true? because it wouldn't be economical, let me tell ya

sk

Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:59 pm

I think this is a 737-700!

qantas747

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:06 pm

Oh hang on, this could be a first, because most dual airbridges are all before the wing. Haven't seen many over-the wing ones......

donreith

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:13 pm

If you read the article, it says it is the first of its kind *built* in North America, not necessarily deployed in North America.

And why would this not be economical? Planes don't make money on the ground, so anything get them turned around faster probably get WestJet's attention.

qantas747

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:20 pm

sorry, I thought the extra bridge weas loading in the middle of the plane, not aft, and if they used that door it would have ripped out a couple of seats, damn what am I thinking! Its late here in australia, well no not really (its 10pm) but I'm tired

LoneStarMike

Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:14 pm

Donreith has it right. It is the first dual jetbridge built in North America. Southwest's dual jetbridges were manufactured in Sweden by FMC.

Here's an article from the Ft. Worth Star Telegram from 3 years ago about the ones Southwest is using.

Southwest tests twin loading systems; airline trying dual boarding of passengers a Love Field.
03/07/2003

In addition to the dual jetbridge at DAL, there is one at AUS, and ALB has either gotten or is in the process of getting 2.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I seem to remember reading that Southwest wanted to experiment with this because of BUR. BUR is the only Southwest station to not use jetbridges. Passengers board and deplane using airstairs at the front and back of the aircraft and apparently BUR had some of the fastest turn times in Southwest's system.

LoneStarMike

scutfarcus

Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:50 pm

Brilliant idea, I've always wished these things would be installed for planes like the 737.

Here's a link to the company that makes them, good info and photos:

http://www.fmt.se/airport/v2/airport/articles/otw001.htm

Greg

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:00 pm

UAL used them first in SFO in 1960....for economy and first class boarding.
So Canada is only about 40 years behind...
(just kidding, we love that little loft above America known as Canada!  Smile

avroarrow

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:15 pm

Speaking as a WestJet passenger, I love the ability to load from both the front and back when on the tarmac, you don't have to wait for Aunt Bertha or whoever to take forever trying to figure out how to fit her purse into the overhead while you are trying to get to your seat at the back. So not only is this faster, but I think it can result in happier passengers as a result. (Greg, since you have wounded my pride I'll take this chance to point out that Canada is significantly larger than the U.S. in terms of land mass, in fact we are second only to Russia in the world standings.)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Although I think we do have one of the lowest population densities in the world as a result.  Big grin
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

AC_B777

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:16 pm

Actually,
Air Canada used dual bridges quite a while ago. I believe they were used in YUL or YMX.
I remember seeing a picture of them being used on an L1011 while I was in training at AC.
They were not the overwing design like Westjet is using, but rather one bridge on either side of the plane. If I recall correctly, they were attached to the L2 and R1 doors.
My training instructor told us that the right side bridge idea was eventually scrapped because it slowed down loading and unloading because it got in the way of things.

AC_B777
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

fallingeese

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:18 pm

The difference with this bridge is that it is made solely for smaller single aisle aircraft. Especially the discount market.

Yes that is a 737-700 at the gate.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

captaingomes

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:04 am

I have always wondered why modern airports in Canada didn't use dual jetbridges. Was it economics? As was pointed out above, it's always refreshing to be able to board or deplane on the tarmac from multiple doors. Makes it quicker and less frustrating. I do remember at AMS when deplaning the KLM 747 they had the dual jetbridges and it really helped make things smoother. Hopefully TNew at YYZ, or the new additions to YUL will incorporate a few of these gates, but I wont hold my breath.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

gigneil

RE: Westjet (apparently) First To Use Dual JetBrid

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:09 am

Yeah, I really think they're talking about dual jetbridges to a tiny plane.

Obviously people use them for widebodies daily.

N

USAIRWAYS321

Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:14 am

If these things ever get popular, it's only a matter of time until a rushed ground crew member working a delayed flight drives one of these right into the wing...

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzyUSAIRWAYS321 Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cessnapimp

Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:54 am

The only bad thing I can see about this is that I can visualise AvroArrow's Aunt Bertha (your quitessential everyday totally lost pap) with seat 2B going straight ahead and boarding by mistake at the back and another little old lady with seat 22C boarding from the front. Then they meet in the middle of the plane; "You go ahead dear" "No, I'll do no such thing, you go ahead..."

You can have a sign at the boarding arm intersection with 15inch letters saying" Rows 1-14 turn left here, rows 15-25 straight ahead", Aunt Bertha will not read it. Besides, her boarding pass is all the way to the bottom of her purse, and the heck if she remembers her seat.

F/A: "Oops! Ma'am, before you head to your seat I need to see your boarding pass!" in a singing tone.

AB: "Aw crap! Where did I put it?" I had it a minute ago! Did the gate agent take it? Is it possible?"

somewhere... someone's looking at their watch...

Laugh out loud

captaingomes

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:09 am

Greg you cynical bastard, don't stand in the way of progress, damn it!!!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

chock head

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:19 am

YVR is scheduled to get them next in the new A pier opening in June 2004. If the first one in YYC goes well there will be 3 more put in.

You do not actually drive the overwing part. You drive the forward part like a regular bridge and the overwing part bridges automatically.

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:27 am

At KIX, we used a dual bridge for an A330 CX.
Go big or go home

BH346

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:53 am

They have those at KIX? I never recalled seeing any boarding bridges that go over the wing there. I do know they have dual jetways that board both of the front doors on the larger aircraft. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Squigee
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:41 pm

I gave the marketing department at Westjet a call, and here's what they told me. This is the first over the wing jetbridge built in Canada. As well, it's the first over-the-wing jetbridge to be used in North America. All other dual jetbridges connect to the first two doors ahead of the wing, not behind.

As well, she said she hadn't heard about the Southwest trial of similar bridges, but she also stressed that these bridges are unique in that it starts as one bridge, and then splits into two halfway down. Other dual bridges are actually two separate gate units.

timf

Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:08 pm

The link above that shows the Southwest bridges clearly shows that it's the same idea as the DEW bridge. The design is not unique. WestJet should have done more research before making the claims they did, or at least limited their claims to just Canada and not all of North America (US inclusive).

LV

Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:32 pm

Greg,
Thats the beauty of not having boarding passes on WN.....

garuda

Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:07 pm

Does the dual jetbridges compatible with B737NG with blended winglets? From the pics, it looks like it's going to be a tight manouvering, since the winglests on the 737NG are pretty tall.

I know Westjet and Soutwest doesn't have B737NGs with winglets, but some other airports may want to use the same jet bridges.

fallingeese

Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:48 pm

I believe it will also support the aircraft with winglets as the gate goes over the wing. If you look closely the wingtip is still aways from the gate.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

Dash8King

Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:06 am

The picture above shows two different bridges, the bridge that Wesjet uses is one bridge and uses the same gate.

Squigee
Topic Author

Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:10 am

Wow, those gates in that picture sure look confusing! One pier splits into two gates that lead into two different aircraft. As well, maneuvering a jet into that position even with the gates retracted must be pretty tough.

westjet_8

Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:48 am

I think this is really cool and will probally improve turnaround times withe Westjets 737 fleet. Hopefully YYC gets more of these gates when they remodel the transborder gates but its unlikely.
Canadian. RIP 1999

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:21 am

I've asked about this before and gotten the same confusion.

Dual loading bridges have been around alongtime. More Hubs that service widebodies aircraft have them.

But that's not what this is.

The Loading bridge Westjet has goes over the wing to allow a narrowbodie to have dual exits. WN has had this for years at LUV. I've been asking for sometime now in the photo request forum of pics from the WN gates in LUV. Now Westjet has brought them to Canada.

UA has toyed with the idea, I saw the pictures of the bridge for the first time in a UAL meeting on how to speed boarding. But this was all prior to 9-11.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

aa61hvy

Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:44 am

BH346-at Kix the jet bridge split off, but it did not go over the wing. It went to first class and coach. So it could be considered dual. I know El Al has it at JFK.
Go big or go home