ATA757
Topic Author

What Airlines Need New Colors 4 The New Millenium?

Tue Nov 30, 1999 12:35 pm

exactly...Which airlines need new colors?

1) Southwest
2) Northwest
3) Sun Country
4) Canada 3000
5) American

I think some airlines will go back to the 'retro' color scheme in the future. It has already started happening in sports...New York Jets recently changed their uniforms to what they looked like in the '70's, the new arena for the NBA's Indiana Pacers is completely retro-themed (except fort the state-of-the-art sound systems).

I think American's 'Astro scheme' looks better than the present one.

Southwest needs to get out of the '60's.

Northwest has an awesome logo, but is too plain.

Sun Country is about as bad as ValuJet was...kiddie-looking.

Thanks for any input,
ATA757
Pendleton, IN

TWA717_200

RE: What Airlines Need New Colors 4 The New Millenium?

Tue Nov 30, 1999 12:47 pm

Southwest without a doubt needs a face lift. Some others...Midwest Express and American (tired of the polished aluminum).

AC_A340

Tue Nov 30, 1999 1:25 pm

Southwest. NW paint scheme would looke better if the symbol covered the whole tail, not just a small part of it. And Canada 3000 needs one.

awaramper

Tue Nov 30, 1999 3:45 pm

I agree. Southwest should get out of the 60's. I like Delta's colors but it just seems like they should add something. DHL is another color scheme that is kind of plain. Horizon Air could use a new color scheme.

asqx

RE: Awaramper

Tue Nov 30, 1999 6:01 pm

Awaramper:

What is wrong with Horizon Air's color scheme? It is pretty good and I like their colors. It fits in well with Alaska's color scheme.

======================================

As for those that do need a new paint job there is only one real airline that is in DESPERATE NEED of a new scheme,

American! I am sick of that big silver bird! Too many memories of bad flights!

Tue Nov 30, 1999 6:22 pm

If any airline nedds a new paintscheme it´s Scandinavian, even though they changed it´s paintscheme a year ago, it´s awful.
You can´t see the company logo or the airline name.

Granite

Tue Nov 30, 1999 6:24 pm

Hi

Yes, I agree with the comment about Americans retro scheme.

It's absolutely beautiful.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

MD 11

All Red-china Carriers!

Tue Nov 30, 1999 11:40 pm

Hi
What a bad taste people can have!!!
All these coments written before a absolutely not my opinion!

NW has a great paint-scheme! (Although the old one was better!).
And American: Its not bad! I like it, because there are no more airlines with this polished aluminium. Makes them something special!
SAS: A really great scheme! (Too, a bit different from all the others!)
Southwest: Ok, i like it, but I can understand when some people do not like it!

REALLY ill-favoured are ALL the red-china carriers!!!!!!!
Look at any of them, and you have to agree!

At last I have to say, good taste is somthing you cannot dispute about.

Never mind,

MD 11

thai747

Wed Dec 01, 1999 12:16 am

I agree with all the main land Chinese Carriers.. like China South , East , North and Air China.. they'are all pretty bland , I would think Malaysia Airlines could do with some re-designing .. and Air india .. also Aeroflot   terrible

MD 11

Olympic Is Absolutely The Worst!

Wed Dec 01, 1999 12:37 am

Thai747, you're right.

I forgot some other: TAPAir Portugal, Iberia and Aerolinas Argentinas. Not a very nice picture to look at.

But the worst of all: OLYMPIC!! You won't believe it when you see a plane of them: It looks like a russian carrier from the 50's!!!
Even worse then some china-carriers!!!!

chautauquasaab

Wed Dec 01, 1999 4:17 am

American might need a bit of freshening, per my original post about SAS. American's livery has, however, aged far better than most, and continuity of design is important to reinforce brand identity. As for NWA, I think their aircraft look rather like bowling shoes. Air France has a livery that is timeless, as does Alitalia. BA can't seem to make up its mind, and comes off as schizophrenic, although the new union jack tail is nice, I don't think it has graphic "staying power". It will look unfashionable all too soon. So maybe American has the right idea in not changing...

Federico

New Colors 4 The New Millenium? Here's My List.

Wed Dec 01, 1999 6:13 am

1) I agree, all airlines from China
2) Cubana
3) CSA
4) Hawaiian Air
5) Iberia
6) Malev (maybe)
7) Libyan
8) Aeroflot
9) Aerolineas Argentinas (new colors actually in December...???)
10)Air France
11)Aeropostal
12)Air New Zealand (I like the old one better)
13)TAP
14)Air Pacific
15)American
16)Avianca (should bring back the AV onb the tail at least)
17)Balkan
18)Lufthansa
19)Luxair
20)Olympic
21)PIA
22)Philippines
23)Swissair
24)Tarom
25)Thai

I could go on.... 

Federico
Argentino in Seattle

sammyk

Wed Dec 01, 1999 6:16 am

I dont think American will ever change, and I hope they dont. Well, maybe they'll change the typeface and/or logo a little. Their aircraft look great all polished, as long as they are kept clean. Air France is great, I hear they will be changing it next year though, but not a lot, something minor. Continental's is nice, although boring to some it is clean, and doesnt seem to go out of style. I think Iberia needs a minor change. Aerolineas Argentinas is supposed to be getting a new look next year, as is Olympic, actually, I heard Olympic is supposed to get it in December. I agree that the Southwest livery needs changing, who knows, maybe ole Herb got a deal on those color paints since no one else wanted them!  

Sammy

AngelAirways

Air Malta!

Wed Dec 01, 1999 6:33 am

1)Air malta need a new paint scheme. The tail is OK but the name on the side is written in Times New Roman Capitals and looks boring.
2) I agree olimpic airlines ;(
3) Lypian arab airlines (good 727s, disgusting gold pain scheme) ;(
4)Iberia
5)Alitalia.

I don't think Balkan needs new colours. The red and green look nice. They should just change the shape of the lines to look modern .  

American is also OK.
Pity British airways is dropping the works of art on tails 

SVG

Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:36 am

1: In my opinion AMERICAN has the worst scheme in the world.
2: AEROFLOT's scheme is almost as bad as AA's.
3: I like OLYMPIC AIRWAYS, but the airline really needs a new scheme.
Other really bad schemes:
Air India, CSA, US Airways, United Airlines, Southwest,

ATA757
Topic Author

Definately Southwest!

Wed Dec 01, 1999 12:25 pm

Thanks for all the responses...it seems that almost everyone dislikes the present SWA scheme. But how could anyone dislike USAirways new colors? What an improvement they made from the previous scheme!

ATA757

Wed Dec 01, 1999 2:06 pm

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, ATA757. I have abstained from this thread thus far because I think that most everyone here has heard my thoughts on the timeless beauty of polished aluminum, the only livery that allows the inherent beauty of the aircraft to be seen. Because of this, I have to say that, while I do like the USAirways scheme, it was by no means an improvement over the last USAir scheme - polished aluminum. IMHO, no fully painted aircraft will ever be as attractive as the same aircraft in a polished livery.

NWA DC-10

Wed Dec 01, 1999 2:35 pm

NWA has a very nice c/s, but they've experimented with some very interresting ones. If you have a bit of time, search for Northwest DC-9s and checkout the grey plane with red Northwest and Logo and the current tail. I don't think it's very far into the pictures... but I doubt NWA will change very soon.

-NWA DC-10

baec777

Thu Dec 02, 1999 4:46 am

I believed that American, Southwest, and Sun Country are the 3 with their old schemes....

AT LEAST THESE I HAVE SELECTED !!!!!

Bassim  

SRA330-223

JAL, ANA, JAS

Thu Dec 02, 1999 5:45 am

I think that Japanese airlines should change their color scheme !
Japan Airlines colours are already 10 years "old" and I think they should change this gray/red color scheme ! I think that Japan Airlines needs a better colour scheme which represents the Japanese culture a little more.
For All Nippon Airways it's time to change the blue colours !!!
But the worst colour scheme in Japan is still that one of Japan Air System's A300s !!! Why not painting them with rainbow colors (B777-200) ???

Other airlines : American Airlines, Iberia, Southwest Airlines and ALITALIA !!!

TAP

Thu Dec 02, 1999 6:34 am

TAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scanair

RE: New Colors 4 The New Millenium? Here's My List.

Thu Dec 02, 1999 9:28 am

Sorry, but did Delta pay any real money for theire new look??
They should try another company, it looks really sad..........
Someone have been pulling theire leg.
It looks even worse than the old one.

Others that need new looks.
DELTA.
American.
Southwest
SwissAir.
British Midland.
Singapore Airl.
TAP.

Scanair!

Thu Dec 02, 1999 11:18 am

Sing.Airlines DOES NOT need a new c/s.I think the're doin'well w/ the Rainbow!

ATA757
Topic Author

Alitalia...No---Iberia...Yes!

Thu Dec 02, 1999 12:45 pm

I was just reading the responses, and saw that a few don't like Alitalia's; does anyone know how long they have had their current scheme? I think it fits for an Italian carrier.

On the other hand, Iberia...what is this? As bad as ValuJet was! You see USAirways, United, and other professional looking color schemes and then look at Iberia's...I mean c'mon!!! It's not the 60's anymore!!

ATA757

QF1

Thu Dec 02, 1999 4:19 pm

I think Cathay Pacific should hurry up and finish all thier aircraft in the new paint scheme. Down here in Melbourne we still often get Cathay Pacific 747's in thier old livery. Talk about slwo, seeing they started painting the new scheme about 5 years ago.

Gundu

Thu Dec 02, 1999 6:33 pm

Gundu: I think SIA should try something new... for one the navy and gold stripe makes the plane look very dull and sad =( I think the fruit salad livery is gorgeous but I cannot imagine going to Terminal 2 and seeing the whole fleet in that (shudder). Maybe they should switch to the gold ribbon design which is rather simple and not exactly groundbreaking but looks so chic and elegant.

ATA757
Topic Author

Lufthansa?

Fri Dec 03, 1999 11:12 am

What about Lufthansa? The tail is great but the fuselage is preety boring (according to me).

ATA757
Topic Author

Sat Dec 04, 1999 7:04 am

How 'bout Egypt Air?

OSL

Sat Dec 04, 1999 8:23 am

Northwest...They need to change their flight attendants uniforms as well. Their uniform are like cloeths you ewar at home at a Saturday. I think the Europeans airliners have nicer uniforms then the americans.

OSL

Sat Dec 04, 1999 8:34 am

BWIA International Airways launched new colours and name change 2/DEC/99. New name is BWIA WEST INDIES AIRWAYS. The new colors are Sea Green, Grey and Yellow. There ia a 3D steelpan on the tail and a different version of the steelpan on the forward fuselage.
The first aircraft to be repainted is an L1011 9Y-TGN.
There are also new interior colours.

Best Regards,
737-800NG

HPA318

Tue Dec 07, 1999 3:55 pm

THE UGLIEST THING.......OLYMPIC..I FEEL SORRY FOR THE NEW A340 THAT HAS TO WEAR THOSE COLORS.WN-HORRIBLE TO LOOK ATDL-NEW LIVERY, RIPOFFAA-NEEDS SERIOUS HELP, SILVER OK POLISHED BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE A300'S HALF UNPOLISHED? YUKNW-NOT THAT BADVS-NEW COLORS, VERY NICEHP-NEW COLORS, BEAUTIFUL COLORFUL YET PROFESSIONAL. NOT BECAUSE I WORK FOR THEM. GH-GHANA AIRWAYS-HORRIBLEFQ-AIR ARUBA, UGLYAM-NEW LIVERY ANOTHER RIPOFF, MUST HAVE BEEN THE SAME COMPANY THAT DID DL..OLD LIVERY BETTER

TWA717_200

RE: Here's 2 That DON'T!

Tue Dec 07, 1999 4:10 pm

Going 180 on the question...

Here's the first that doesn't:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael Glick

Sexy!

And my favorite:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mark Abbott

The ol' Tri Star never looked better!

Jeff Henderson

Tue Dec 07, 1999 4:18 pm

Alitalia....definitely. The stripe down the side is OK but the tail is a monstrosity and hurts the eyes to look at. The current scheme is decades old by now.

Olympic could have done much better but they don't have the cash.
LH looks very good the way they are as does Swissair even though they are very simple.

Perhaps AirFrance? That livery is a little old and boring.

I don't like Delta's new livery very much....the 763's and 757's look OK but the MD88's look like absolute shite in my opinion. New 738's are OK too.

I think SIA should keep the golden ribbons (50th anniversary)--they livened things up a lot.

Almost all of the Eastern European boys could use a facelift (Malev, CSA, LOT)

SAS's new scheme takes a little getting used to but very crisp and refined

montenegro

Tue Dec 07, 1999 6:07 pm

On my opinion the changes to make are as follows:

1. ALITALIA, it is really time to change, althow it rapresent faithfully the national identity, but some revisions please.
2. American Airline, maybe the ugliest one on the world, no color sheme ( nothing against them ).
3. Olimpic Airways, ugly and old fashioned.
4. JAS, and ANA, should improoved a litlle.
5. Air China, no comment.
6. Air Bahamas
7. LUXAIR

and that's on my mind.

Savo

Tue Dec 07, 1999 8:22 pm

Please...let's get rid of some of these (almost) all-white colours!!

Air France is OK...but it needs updating, I think! If Philippine Airlines gets back in the air, they should get new colours.. and I like EgyptAir's old livery more.

Let's hope BWIA's new colours inspire airlines into styles that are as different as theirs.

Finnair really needs to find a good colour scheme...they've tried a few, but none look any good! Also, LOT..that symbol is UGLY! Tarom needs new colours too...as does just about every airline in the former Soviet Union!!! (except Lithuanian, Estonian and Air Baltic). I also think Korean Air's colours don't look that good.

slawko

New C/S

Wed Dec 08, 1999 4:21 am

--LOT
--Canada 3000
--Aeroflot (They need to come up with one scheme for all of their planes, and not that puke colour on the 737's and 777's)
--Skyservice
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

CXA340

Southwest

Wed Dec 08, 1999 5:37 am

I think southwest needs new paint,uniforms, and better service.
CXA340

ATA757
Topic Author

TWA717_200>>Thanks For Complimenting "my Airline"!

Wed Dec 08, 1999 6:29 am

I live near Indianapolis, and every time I go to the airport (IND) half the planes you see are ATA n/c! If you go in the morning (especially Sat.) 75% of the planes are ATA. They are starting to fly L-1011's to Las Vegas, Orlando, Fort Myers, Sarasota, Fort Lauderdale, and 757's to St. Petersburg. All of these are non-stop from IND...a + for me. We got tickets to LAS for spring break; on the TriStars! Great planes!!!

ATA757

MAS777

Wed Dec 08, 1999 6:41 am

Malaysia Airlines is indeed due for a refurbishment (cf. Thai747). The current design which really was just an update of its original livery designed was back in 1972 was only suppposed to last for about 10 years (it was updated in 1988). MAS has indeed updated it interior design into soothing hues of tropical green and marine blue.

There are two reasons MAS has delayed refurbishing its corporater image really lies in 2 factors - the economic downturn that began in late-97 and the fact that it is most likely to join the 'Wings' alliance soon with KLM, Northwest and Alitalia.

MAS has however navigated its way out of the economic turbulence and now has plans to re-equip its short-haul and regional fleet. I would certainly watch this space as a new livery may be revealed soon with the launch of its next new aircraft choice and may well incorporate elements of KLM's and Northwest liveries.

MEA-707

Wed Dec 08, 1999 7:05 am

What's wrong with Southwest?? Their aircraft are colourful, and their special liveries (whale etc.) are even nicer. Iberia, Air Jamaica, what's wrong with these colourful schemes?
The liveries I hate are these mostly white ones. Air France, Sabena, Lufthansa, SAS, Swissair. I believe Airbus is pushing these kind of schemes. But most US companies are doing better. The new US Airways, TWA, Northwest colours are much better than their last ones. Only Delta is quite boring and even more old-fashioned than their older one.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

ATA757
Topic Author

Iberia And Southwest Are Stuck....................

Wed Dec 08, 1999 10:52 am

..............stuck in the 60's, along with Sun Country!!!

Personally, red, orange, and yellow...BORING!!!

ATA757