airmale

New Official Flag Carrier For Nigeria

Thu May 01, 2003 4:18 pm

The Nigerian govt. has appointed a new flag carrier as offifial replacement for defunct Nigeria Airways, the airline is called Nigerian Global and wears a better but Eurowhite scheme.
.....up there with the best!

airmale

RE: New Official Flag Carrier For Nigeria

Fri May 02, 2003 8:25 pm

How come no pic of the new carrier at this website? by the way the airline will operate eight A310-300, any one know what routes they'll be plying?

airchabum

Fri May 02, 2003 9:46 pm

I was about to ask the same thing re routes! I tried to find a website but didn't have much luck. I wonder how long they'll last given the recent history of Nigeria's flag carriers.

Any idea where the A310's are coming from? I thought that most of Nigeria Airways' a/c were written off or repossesed?
Biggidy biggidy bong

Fly-K

Sat May 03, 2003 12:59 am

I heard this version: the Nas Air A310 only wore the Nigeria Global colours for a movie...
But separately, there is indeed a project for a new carrier.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

mikephotos

Sat May 03, 2003 1:42 am

Here's a photo of the A310:

Michael

EurostarVA

Sun May 04, 2003 3:48 pm

Hello guys,

Actually Nigerian Global is using this A310-300 only until such a time the Nigerian aviation authorities issue an Airline Operating Certificate.

Their immediate plans are to deliver 8 aircraft consisting of:

1 A340, 2 A330s, 2 A320's, 2 A318's, and an A300F.

Again, it seems they are operating this A310 only temporarily to see if the reelected Nigerian government keeps its promises to facilitate the takeoff of this essentially foreign investment. Nigerian Global is 60% owned by Triaton AG of Switzerland and 40% of Nigerian govt (contributing BASA route rights and NOT cash). This young company has also promised to hire as much ex-Nigeria Airways qualified staff as possible following the long-awaited collapse and liquidation of that joke of a national carrier.

The initial route network will see the Airbuses deployed to the traditional long-haul routes: London Heathrow (first to be inaugurated) followed by Jeddah, New York, Frankfurt, and Johannesburg. Later on West/East African routes as well as domestic points will be added using the narrow-bodies.

I personally question their ability to secure financing for this relatively large and young Airbus fleet (in African standards), yet alone confront the huge political and inconsistent regulation problems at home and the possibility of ex-Nigeria Airways creditors finding enough legal cover to seize their assets (given that the Nigerian govt. itself was the sole owner of Nigeria Airways, as could be held liable).

Happy Nigerian landings,
Hani
If there is a will, there is a way

airmale

Sun May 04, 2003 9:26 pm

I hope they're successful, by the way whts their IATA code?

donder10

Sun May 04, 2003 10:03 pm

I was reading about this on allafrica.com the other day.It must have been the quitest demise of a flag carrier of a big nation,ever!Will this new airline get the LHR slots of its predecessor?