Captain Moya
Topic Author

Pinal Airpark Security

Sat May 03, 2003 9:15 am

Flew into Pinal Airpark on a Cessna 150 today. After landing, we parked at the transient parking. We got out and I took a picture of a United 737-200 (which I will upload soon when I get the chance to develop the film), and that's when one of the people that works there shouted, "No pictures. Only from the air!" I thought it was bullshit but I went ahead and put my camera away. I went to take a leak and we hopped in. As soon as we began taxiing an Evergreen International security car followed us. We taxiied all the way to runway 12 (to take more pictures) and this jerk was behind us all the way 'til the hold short line! I know this might not be a surprise to some of you, but has this security thing gotten so bad? Are small GA aircraft considered a security threat to airliners that are not in flying condition (most of them)?
This really pissed me off. If they don't want any type of photographic activity then they should go ahead put some signs up. If they don't want the general public from looking at planes they should put up some restrictions. I wasn't aware that this sort of thing would happen. Anyways, thought I get that off my chest. Thanks.

RE: Pinal Airpark Security

Sat May 03, 2003 10:07 am

Could you make a low approach, with your passenger taking pictures??

Or if Pinal has an overhead traffic pattern (usually in place for military ops), you might be able to get some decent pictures from above. I would imagine that they may potentially be a little more accommodating if you purchase fuel at the Evergreen FBO, or something like that

[Edited 2003-05-03 03:13:46]

Sat May 03, 2003 5:06 pm

Actually it isn't a 9/11 thing.

Evergreen International sells the Anyonimity that their facility provides.

When I took a tour there in 1996, I couldn't take pictures of the ramp either.

Sun May 04, 2003 4:06 am

Just backing up L-188,

Pinal Airpark has been a veritable fortress since long before 9-11.
I'll spare you all the rumors, but if you do a quick search, it has all been discussed several times.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Sun May 04, 2003 5:06 pm

Very sad actually. When I was rather younger (32) and Schnozz was alive, I took a self guided tour at MZJ. This was a few years before I began working at the field.

Anyway, Schnozz took me out to the far west side of the field and let me walk back to the hangars, camera in hand taking as much time and as many pictures as I wanted. He was behind me the entire time but, at the time, there were no restrictions other than keeping your hands off the aircraft.

In the mid 90s, all that changed. As has been mentioned, the anonymity of the airlines storing aircraft became a major concern and all picture taking on the ground was strongly discouraged. If a mechanic is caught taking pictures his employment is in severe jeopardy. I still pop off the occasional picture when I go there but as I have no access to the ramp area, they are really not very worthwhile.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.