zrs70

New RTW Itinerary

Sat May 03, 2003 4:30 pm

I was originally to go through YYZ, TPE, and HKG. That's now all changed, and I 'd like to share my current flight path. This is a *Alliance C class ticket with lots of F upgrades using miles from various accounts.

Already did CPH-IAD-LAX. Comming up:

LAX-SFO (UA, 737, F)
SFO-ORD (UA, 777, F)
ORD-MSY (UA, 319, Y)
MSY-LAX (UA, 320, F)
LAX-NRT (SQ, 744, F)
NRT-ICN (UA, 777, F)
ICN-NRT (OZ, 74M, F)
NRT-FRA (NH, 744, F)
FRA-MAD (LH, 320, C)
MAD-FCO (TG, 747, C)
FCO-MUC-FRA-HAM-LHR (LH, various, C)
LHR-DUB (BD, 320, C)
DUB-FRA (LH, 737, C)
FRA-OSL-CPH (SK, M80's, C)
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2017

tadex

RE: New RTW Itinerary

Sat May 03, 2003 5:18 pm

You must be really bored and don´t seem to have enything better to do than sit in airplanes.

Airbus Lover

Sat May 03, 2003 6:37 pm

I wish I could do a trip like that so bad!!!! Zrs70, you mind to share how much your plane tix cost? and how many miles in upgrade?

zrs70

Sun May 04, 2003 5:10 am

Tadex:

Please elaborate... Most of us here view commercial aviation as a hobby. How could this be a negative? Look, I live in LA, and have plans in Europe. I can either go the easy and short way, or I can have an adventure along the way and see other parts of the world.

Airbus:

Tix were about $4000 USD (bought out of Denmark, however).
Upgrades: 35k for SQ, 42K for NH, 10K for OZ, SWU's on UA.

Sun May 04, 2003 5:17 am

Not a bad price for a RTW ticket.... wasn't aware of the good Denmark prices (I know a few who have bought them in Thailand). You'll probably make back enough miles to pay for most of the upgrades.

FutureFO

Sun May 04, 2003 5:35 am

Actually on the SAS website you can purchase RTW tix with starting in the US. It is a special Star trip. Almost always on an open ticket for travel dates.
I Don't know where I am anymore

TonyBurr

Sun May 04, 2003 5:43 am

I am doing a RTW in C on Star ALliance and they told me that you could not use UA FF miles for upgrades. How did u get upgraded on all those airlines, let alone on UA? Are they all UA miles?

bobrayner

Sun May 04, 2003 5:46 am

http://www.roundtheworldflights.com are cheap (if you work in £ pounds), check out these offers:
http://www.roundtheworldflights.com/QFLateSummer/Escapade.htm
http://www.roundtheworldflights.com/QFLateSummer/QFBAVOYAGER.htm

I placed some queries with them last year when planning a holiday. The guy who handled my RTW query was clearly just interested in commission though, so I had trouble tying together strange route options with visa requirements.

As it happens, I ended up doing something very different on holiday, so maybe RTW next year.

Any suggestions for good RTW shops in Benelux and USA?

Their location shouldn't really matter - this is the 21st century, surely? - but this is an unconventional and low-volume business, so I wouldn't really trust them with odd forms of cross-border payment, or international postage of tickets... and many of them still seem incapable of doing business by email.

(Personal situation: based in NW Europe, want to visit friends in various corners of the globe, and have family in Australia whom I've never met...)
Cunning linguist

zrs70

Sun May 04, 2003 8:35 am

TonyBurr:

I upgrade on UA using UA miles and/ or SWU's. Short answer is that until just a few months ago, you could not do this. That restriction has been lifted.

I have miles with SQ, OZ, and NH as well. That's how I upgraded those flights. I have those miles, not because I have flown much with them, but because I was able to transfer points to them via American Express, Priority Club, and Starwood.

TonyBurr

Sun May 04, 2003 10:16 am

Good point about now being able to upgrade on UA with the system wide. I heard that was now allowed. I understand you can now use them on stand by for LH. I hope the day comes soon that all Star Alliance are on the same track. Good insight to using the American Express for SQ. I did not know they were part of the program. Thanks for that insight. I will look into it.

zrs70

Sun May 04, 2003 10:29 am

Tony:

Point of information: Amex points can transfer to NH, not SQ. I used points with Starwood and Priority Club to transfer to SQ and OZ.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos