dandy_don

Did Southwest Make Any Money On Me?

Sun May 04, 2003 12:46 pm

I flew yesterday from DTW to Midway and then back today.

Price each way? $37.

How did they make any money?

AroundTheWorld

RE: Did Southwest Make Any Money On Me?

Sun May 04, 2003 12:55 pm

Southwest's CASM (cost per average seat mile) is 7.41 cents. Given the distance each way for your trip was 228 miles it cost them $16.89 cents each way to fly you. They made about $40 off your round trip  Smile I'm not any type of finiancial personage so if someone wants to add and/or correct this...feel free.

cloudy

Sun May 04, 2003 1:11 pm

Southwest has a low enough costs that they can indeed make money with such fares. Most airlines do not.

Higher cost airlines can offer such fairs because they use sophisticated computer tools to put seats on the market and set the terms under which they will be offered. This practice is called "Yield Management". Use this as a search term if you want a more detailed description. BTW, Southwest uses "Yield Management" as well. It just uses a more simple and less extreme version of it than more traditional airlines.

Such fares can be offered by higher-cost airlines when the airline determines through "Yield Management" tools that the seat would more than likely have flown empty if you had not bought a ticket. In such a case, the airline is better off to sell you the ticket even at a price that would produce a loss if the whole plane payed such prices. If the seat flys empty, they get nothing at all. If you buy it, they get $37. All those crazy rules you see regarding airline fares are devices to seperate the customers who would fly at much higher fares from those that can only be enticed to fly if fares are set rock-bottom. They get most of their money from people who paid higher fares for tickets with fewer restrictions and more desireable departure times, etc. They won't set up a schedule with people like you in mind. However, they are happy to let you fill one of their extra seats because if they don't let you do so they will get nothing for flying that seat.

At least this is the theory. In practice, this system can get really screwed up. The overuse and misuse of yield management may be one of the reasons the network carriers are in so much trouble today.

I

727LOVER

Mon May 05, 2003 3:33 am

Does CASM include landing fees  Confused If not, then I would guess they didn't make money?
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

Barcode

Mon May 05, 2003 4:02 am

Oh, this reminds me, I'm wondering the same about Airtran and the $14 I paid from ATL to RDU ...

And I'm sure I paid less than $70 to get from FLL from ATL with Southwest ...

EA CO AS

Mon May 05, 2003 4:40 am

Does CASM include landing fees If not, then I would guess they didn't make money?

The thing to keep in mind is that this is their AVERAGE cost per ASM over their entire route system. The cost for shorter city pairs is much higher than that for longer ones, since there are fewer miles to spread the costs over.

While their average CASM is $0.0741, the CASM for your short hop was likely much higher.

So, odds are for this particular flight, they may NOT have made any money...but overall they still are, as your ticket price gets computed into their average revenue per ASM (RASM) against their average systemwide CASM.

In other words, your cheap ticket is offset by millions of other not-so-cheap tickets elsewhere in their system.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sllevin

Mon May 05, 2003 5:32 am

No. You cost the airline money. Please send a check to Southwest.  Smile

Steve

N79969

Mon May 05, 2003 6:42 am

Hard to say. Airline cost allocations are complex and can be meaningless. The marginal cost of carrying you on those airplanes was approximately $0. If that seat had gone unfilled without you, then they made money. If you displaced a higher yield pax somehow, then they lost money. Given the sophistication of airline yield management and SWA's record of financial success, I would say the former is the case and they made $74 minus a buttload of taxes on you.

jhooper

Mon May 05, 2003 7:31 am

I bought a ticket from SAT-MCO for $37. I wonder if they made money on THAT flight?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

ont 737

Mon May 05, 2003 12:12 pm

They made more money than if you had not flown on the flight. You need to remember the 1st rule of airline economics. Once the flight is paid off, every extra seat sold (at any cost) is pure profit. Also, remember that seat miles are a perishable commodity. If it is not used, it is wasted. It's like milk, it has an expiration date. (i.e. departure time)

jhooper

Tue May 06, 2003 2:18 am

I realize they made more off of me than they would have if the seat had gone empty. But there is an opportunity cost associated with letting that seat go, that being the price of the higher cost ticket they could have sold if the flight is full (keeping in mind that if they bump me they'll have to compensate me).

I guess my question is, does the $37 I paid (actually it was $45 with all the taxes) exceed the total cost of the flight divided by the number of seats on the plane?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

BR715-A1-30

Tue May 06, 2003 2:38 am

Oh, this reminds me, I'm wondering the same about Airtran and the $14 I paid from ATL to RDU ...

I'm kind of wondering the same thing with the $76.50 Roundtrip ticket I got from GPT-ATL-GPT on Sept. 7. Cost One way was $29.00
Puhdiddle

OPNLguy

Tue May 06, 2003 4:28 am

>>>And I'm sure I paid less than $70 to get from FLL from ATL with Southwest ...

Neat trick, since SWA doesn't serve ATL...  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

cloudy

Tue May 06, 2003 9:36 am

I realize they made more off of me than they would have if the seat had gone empty. But there is an opportunity cost associated with letting that seat go, that being the price of the higher cost ticket they could have sold if the flight is full (keeping in mind that if they bump me they'll have to compensate me).
----
This is true only if that seat would have been sold to a higher-paying customer. If it would have flown empty otherwise, it is better to let you have it even if you won't pay much. As has been said before.... the whole point of yield management is to use computers and fare class rules to tell the difference. Yield management doesn't always work well. But it does have some value.

-----
I guess my question is, does the $37 I paid (actually it was $45 with all the taxes) exceed the total cost of the flight divided by the number of seats on the plane?
-------

For Southwest and most of the other low-cost airlines, the answer is probably yes. For the majors, the answer is probably no.

Barcode

Tue May 06, 2003 11:27 am

I obviously wasn't paying attention ... I flew from RDU to FLL ... with a change of planes in Orlando. Total cost was $70 something dollars just over a year ago. Flew from ATL with Airtran.

*needs to be more observant*