ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Fate Of DL's NRT Slots?

Tue May 06, 2003 5:52 am

For the sake of clarification, I'd like to know:

What has/will ultimately become of DL's NRT slots which were formally used for the PDX/LAX/JFK flights? I know some of them are currently being used by FedEx, but were they sold? Given back? Leased?

Could DL take back those slots if its transpac traffic picked up (KE notwithstanding)?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

RE: Fate Of DL's NRT Slots?

Tue May 06, 2003 9:09 am

If I remember correctly, the slots themselves were leased to FedEx.

The route authorities for JFK/AA), Japan">NRT and LAX/AA), Japan">NRT, however, reverted back to the DOT. The DOT subsequently awarded those route authorities to AA.

Should Delta regain its slots from FedEX, it could probably use the slots to increase service from ATL. I believe, however, that it could not use the slots to restart JFK/AA), Japan">NRT or LAX/AA), Japan">NRT. There is, I think - perhaps someone can clarify this, a restriction in the current US/Japan bilateral that limits non-incumbent carriers (i.e., AA, Continental, Delta) from operating on certain city-pairs. If Delta, for example, was still operating the LAX/AA), Japan">NRT route, AA would be prohibited from operating on the same route.

FutureFO

Tue May 06, 2003 9:24 am

It would be nice to see the M11 back out of PDX to KIX.
I Don't know where I am anymore

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue May 06, 2003 11:16 am

It would be nice to see the M11 back out of PDX to KIX.

too bad their retirement has been accelerated to December of this year  Big grin

FutureFO

Tue May 06, 2003 8:29 pm

I know that is what sucks. If the 777 was moved to the West Coast it would be nice. Or to convert a few of the 764's for International Service would be even better.
I Don't know where I am anymore

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue May 06, 2003 10:25 pm

If the 777 was moved to the West Coast it would be nice

What sense would that make though? DL only has 8, and 3 of them are earmarked for ATL-NRT. That doesnt leave enough to cover LON/PAR/FRA/MXP/FCO/MAN/DUB-SNN from ATL/CVG/JFK... let alone LAX, where they dont even have anymore intercontinental operations.