NWA ARJ
Topic Author

What Is Up HKG!

Wed May 07, 2003 10:41 am

What is up with the approaches to this airport. I was looking through the pictures and all the planes come in at sharp angles and there are a few engine strikes. Will someone tell me why this is??

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Tsui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daryl Chapman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daryl Chapman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Samuel Lo

Nightmare 68, Fargo Tower, Runway 36, Fly Runway Heading, Mantain 10,000, Cleared For Takeoff, Change To Departure

ConcordeBoy

RE: What Is Up HKG!

Wed May 07, 2003 10:50 am

Kai Tak was positioned within a heavy residental area, and also at the feet of several small mountains. Because of this, a sharp right turn was mandated about a quarter mile away from the threshold of Rwy13. When the relatively common crosswinds picked up, they often produced the results you're now talking about on the approach to 13.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N754PR

Wed May 07, 2003 3:53 pm

Taylor,

Kai Tak was a very special airport, I know your in the ststes and only young but this is one airport you should know about. Get a video/DVD about Kai Tak and I'm sure you will be interested for ever!
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

EGFF

Wed May 07, 2003 4:33 pm

I just wish it was around today because it would be on my top list to visit  Smile
Regards
Shaun
All together or not at all

hkg82

Wed May 07, 2003 8:50 pm

Kai Tak Airport is what got me into aviation. I’ll never forget the hustle & bustle of the terminal and how claustrophobic it felt at times. It was often too much for my sister but I loved it! And I'll never forget that amazing approach that always made for one hell of a ride at every landing!

Hkg82.

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 07, 2003 8:56 pm

Kai Tak Airport is what got me into aviation.

ditto that!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Ryanair!!!

Fri May 09, 2003 9:09 pm

I actually second that Kai Tak is the epitome of an aviation spotter's dream. It was cloud nine and seventh heaven all combined into one. Nowhere else in the world can you see a 747 only a few hundred feet above you screaming as she makes a 45deg turn to get aligned with the runway.

When you combine such a difficult manouevre with an occassional crosswind, lets add a big aircraft to that... and voila! Engine strikes and photos that seem to suggest that the plane is crashing.

Never in my life have I seen such an exhilarating approach and I would kill to fly into Kai Tak for just one last time...
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!