Favorite Airline Hub.

Wed Dec 01, 1999 1:55 pm

What's your favorite?

- AA and DFW.
- UA and ORD.
- DL and ATL.
- CO and IAH.
- NW and MSP/DTW.

Personally, I think AA/DFW are the best. But hey, that's just my opinion.
"... for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RE: Favorite Airline Hub.

Wed Dec 01, 1999 2:00 pm

I'm going to have to vote for an option that you didn't provide... AA and ORD. I love the AA Terminal 3 at O'Hare, and I'm excited about what they are doing with the G concourse there. I hate DFW less every time I fly there, but I'm still not real fond of that airport.

Wed Dec 01, 1999 2:22 pm

Well from some one who does not travel to the states that often, my experience (or lack of it!) would rate the following as the best:

maybe WN at PHX?

but definitely not NW at MSP or LAX!!!!!!

BA is quite good at LHR, but probably the best is AMS - Schipol for all airlines!
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

Wed Dec 01, 1999 3:31 pm

I'm going to have to go with CO at IAH. Especially when flyin to Latin America. Its one of the most hassle free hubs that exist.

Wed Dec 01, 1999 3:50 pm

Try a connection at PIT. You just can't get any better. Very easy to navigate, food and shopping opportunity abound. Once you try it, you'll hate connecting at ORD or EWR (yuck) or IAH even. CLT is also very nice. And I'm not saying this cuz I like US Airways, I'm saying it because they are both architecturally very well designed for a hub. (Not nearly so great for O/D though.)

Wed Dec 01, 1999 3:58 pm

Air Canada has a great hub in Toronto. Terminal 2 is beautifully done up inside, and having the entire operation within one Terminal is very efficient. Also love the idea of pre-clearing for U.S. customs when flying transborder. Also have a wide variety of all types of planes within the fleet to photograph.

Pittsburgh is another favorite. The terminal is beautiful, and well designed in terms of efficiency. Easy to navigate, never made a connection, but I'm sure it's a breeze. I question the Dulles hub with United as those mobile lounges can almost make you miss a flight.
NO URLS in signature

Wed Dec 01, 1999 4:01 pm

Has to be by all means NWA and MSP/DTW (note that MSP is before DTW, means something)

Wed Dec 01, 1999 4:26 pm

I would have to say TWA in STL. Theres nothing like landing or taking off at that airport with parallel traffic. Talk about an awesome sight. And if your a TWA fan like me, you cant get enough of them. The only bad thing is that you will have on hell of a walk if you have a connection at different TWA concourses. Either way I love that place. Theres always action goin on there.

Wed Dec 01, 1999 9:58 pm

Lufthansa in Frankfurt. Everything is centralised into one Terminal (Terminal 1), which is then split into three concourses. And if you're lucky your plane won't be at the gate and you have to take a bus across the apron. The terminal is light and airy. All flight information is on a huge board, and there is NO SWTCHING TERMINAL, even for all Star Alliance flights, they also go out of Terminal 1. AND if you are changing airlines the quick and easy tram between the terminals offers spectacular views of the entire field. Speaking of views, on both terminal there is a visitors deck (besucherterasse in German) that you can pay DM5, and get as close to the planes as you can stand. There is also a shop, Fluggie, that sells all the Herpas, well, I think that are made. This airport makes LHR, JFK, BOS, LAX, especially, ATL, and DFW seem like the biggest inconvenience in air travel today.

« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Wed Dec 01, 1999 11:35 pm

Don't forget about DL hub at CVG. It's wonderfully laid out, not too much traffic and quite roomy inside. I find ATL's hallways, in contrast, to be too narrow.

Also, if you're a CRJ fan it's the place to be!
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

Thu Dec 02, 1999 12:03 am

Air Canada in YYZ. Large windows, many different types of aircraft, its all in one terminal, many shops and restaurants past security. You can see all the traffic from terminal 1 taxi by. And FYI, there supposed to be building a new terminal 2.

Thu Dec 02, 1999 1:49 am

Continental at Cleveland Hopkins Int'l. Not too big, not too much distance between gates (including new mid-field concourse with EMB-145 jetways), and not long T/O lines at runways.

ATA In Indianapolis!

Thu Dec 02, 1999 1:05 pm

I think ATA in IND is a good hub city. Although, there are not as many connecting flights as other nearby airports (CO/CLE, DAL/CVG, UAL/ORD, TWA/STL), but If you were going (for example) from Chicago to Cancun you could make a hassle-free stop in IND; or Orlando to Los Angeles...take an L-1011 from MCO to IND and a 727/757 to LAX; Fort Myers to Las Vegas you could be on L-1011's on both flights (RSW-IND, IND-LAS).

In 2005 Indianapolis will have an all new Midfield Terminal in use, and will have more traffic than it does now, but the recent merger of Chatauqua (USAirways Express) and Trans World Express, will bring more regional service to/from IND. The 'team' plans to have EMB-145's based out of IND and STL, too.

Does anyone put there think that IND could 'land' British Airways after the Midfield Terminal is completed?

Pendleton, IN

Fri Dec 10, 1999 5:17 am

I may a tad partial, but I think that Atlanta, with Delta at its center, is far and away the nicest hub airport in the world.

Fri Dec 10, 1999 5:26 am

Ive flown into all of them except Minneapolis butt...

1. atl-delta i love flyin into atlanta its such a busy airport with tons of planes and real great atmosphere, ive talked with business flyers about atlanta and all of them cant stand it cause it takes so long to get to the different gates, and delays are often but i love it.

2. Dallas would have to be my second favorite cause the jetbridge over the highway, i just like it for some odd reason.

Fri Dec 10, 1999 10:51 am

My favorite hubs:
Thats all for me.

Fri Dec 10, 1999 11:03 am

I personally loved the old Eastwind hub in GSO. My favorite now has got to be DL/ATL.

Sat Dec 11, 1999 6:57 am

Hey ATA757---
The only way you will see a BA flight desiognator in IND is much like as has occurred in the past. BA had a counter in the USAir concourse because of their then-existing relationship. Now the possibility exists that AA will do the same, feeding flights into ORD where they will code-share. This is, of course, like Lufthansa and United. I chuckle every time I see the Lufthansa name in the departing passengers drop-off area. It also cracks me up to see the Lufthansa signs at United's gate with their ORD departures. As much as Indianapolis would like the cachet of an honestly international flight, I can't imagine it happening any time soon. Do you remember when PanAm had a flight from Indy via DTW to FRA? That has been a long time ago, using L1011-500 aircraft. I only used it a couple of times, and it was usually almost painfully empty.
I hope when Indy does get a new midfield terminal- and I think it will be a bit further out than 2005- that it is as pleasant as CVG. It gets my vote for best hub airport.
Happy Holidays!

Sat Dec 11, 1999 8:35 am

dl-in atl is the best hands down it set the trend for concourse design and the fact that it can pull off 620 departures a day.....nuff said

Sat Dec 11, 1999 1:35 pm

I think it is AA DFW.

Sat Dec 11, 1999 2:45 pm

Twa at jfk
best place in the world
smells good looks good
and everytime your there
you think of better times
for you and the airline

Sun Dec 19, 1999 2:37 pm

Continental's hub at EWR isn't too bad - will be even better when they finish the improvements at Terminal C.

I also like US Airway's hub at BWI, and Northwest at DTW.

Mon Dec 20, 1999 7:04 am

Has to be Tw at STL and Nw at MSP
The STL hub always is exciting, I just really love that airport, it has a fast pace kind of feel to it.
At MSP I like how the Gold Concourse is set up from gates 9-20. They are spaced three apart with four at the last one and two at the begining. always seems that there is always only one flight leaving from the groups not two or three so it gives the airyfeeling. I have also noticed that this airport is a more slower moving airport that the rest.

Mon Dec 20, 1999 10:58 am

I also like MSP for its gold concourse. Lots of planes there.. YWG is the place to be. Its a central hub for alll airlines in Canada

Mon Dec 20, 1999 11:02 am

UA's NRT hub has got to be the best. With the renovations that have just taken place, NRT is THE classiest and nicest looking airport. It doesn't seem crowded, and best of all, it is EXTREMELY easy to navigate.

As for other hubs, I like flying in and out of DEN (another UA hub), and I like flying in and out of HNL (Hawaiian's hub).

Mon Dec 20, 1999 11:20 am

My least favorite airport period is IAD. I hate those stupid mobile lounges. Why didn't they put in an underground train like ATL or Denver?